Music people should be skating to | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Music people should be skating to

anyanka

Record Breaker
The mid-section of Mukhortova / Trankov's 2009-10 FS was the love theme from "Cinema Paradiso". It was blended with "Love Story" but I think it's a great stand-alone piece all on its own. It runs just over 3 minutes but trim it by 30 seconds and I think it'd make a beautiful SP for Volotsozhar / Trankov. They're also in love in real life, which would just add to the presentation. Thoughts?

humbaba

Final Flight
The way ice dance teams love to have a story or a theme, I'm surprised none of them have skated to "Fotheringay" by Fairport Convention (circa 1970). It's about Mary Queen of Scots' imprisonment, trial and execution at Fotheringay Castle. The melody is lovely, the lyrics draw you in, and it features the beautiful voice of Sandy Denny.

Just think of the possibilities for sumptuous historical costumes and dramatic presentation. The PCS meter would break. I only worry that one of the more OTT teams might insist on acting out the execution, complete with Mary's little dog cowering under her skirts. I can actually envision an ice dancer in an Elizabethan inspired dress with a little stuffed toy dog attached to it.

Seriously, why doesn't a British team jump on this. The music and the story are both part of their heritage.

The way ice dance teams love to have a story or a theme, I'm surprised none of them have skated to "Fotheringay" by Fairport Convention (circa 1970). It's about Mary Queen of Scots' imprisonment, trial and execution at Fotheringay Castle. The melody is lovely, the lyrics draw you in, and it features the beautiful voice of Sandy Denny.

Just think of the possibilities for sumptuous historical costumes and dramatic presentation. The PCS meter would break. I only worry that one of the more OTT teams might insist on acting out the execution, complete with Mary's little dog cowering under her skirts. I can actually envision an ice dancer in an Elizabethan inspired dress with a little stuffed toy dog attached to it.

Seriously, why doesn't a British team jump on this. The music and the story are both part of their heritage.

I love Fairport Convention but don't recall Fotheringay. I'll look it up. Sandy Denny was wonderful, wasn't she. Yes, if it's Mary Queen of Scots, the costume possibilities are exciting.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
http://youtu.be/WAhb16QnWhw

Franz Listz :Liebesträum No. 3

Sure it may sound a lot like Chopin but so what? Some rumors suggest they were friends. This era of composing and the vocal nature of this type of movement just speak directly to my soul. A clever edit and well thought out choerography could really have a powerful impact. I just love this song and my aunt used to play it at family gatherings growing up!

Has this been skated to before?

To answer myself ...yes it has. Natalia Mishkutenok/Artur Dimitriev skated it in 1992. Was this an Olympic gold medal performance??

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is the video from the 1992 Olympics performance of Liebesträum No.3 The splits at 1:40 are just :eek: :clap: :bow:
http://youtu.be/7-lIi2YAJyY

For pairs I like the strings. For singles I'd love to hear it on only a piano!!'

Alba

Record Breaker
http://youtu.be/WAhb16QnWhw

Sure it may sound a lot like Chopin but so what? Some rumors suggest they were friends. This era of composing and the vocal nature of this type of movement just speak directly to my soul. A clever edit and well thought out choerography could really have a powerful impact. I just love this song and my aunt used to play it at family gatherings growing up!

Has this been skated to before?

To answer myself ...yes it has. Natalia Mishkutenok/Artur Dimitriev skated it in 1992. Was this an Olympic gold medal performance??

Ilia Kulik did a beautiful performance of Liebesträum, although not in a competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1wRN1nx_1M

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That shirt...:bang: Thx for sharing. It seemed like a great skate but the puffy shirt was impossible for me to get past. :laugh:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason's Liebestraume is still my favourite LP of his.

This will drive you crazy because I know your feelings on Yulia but....I see so many similarities between Jason and her in their delivery. Steps,spins, and just about every subtle movement. He's clearly a bettr jumper but maybe she can show him how a Ina Bauer is supposed to be done:slink: JK :laugh:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
This will drive you crazy because I know your feelings on Yulia but....I see so many similarities between Jason and her in their delivery. Steps,spins, and just about every subtle movement. He's clearly a bettr jumper but maybe she can show him how a Ina Bauer is supposed to be done:slink: JK :laugh:

:disapp:

Vanshilar

On the Ice

Actually they were friends, or at least greatly admired each other although they grew more distant as time went on. Chopin and Liszt were contemporaries of each other though they had completely different strengths; Chopin was more about mood and tone, preferring to play in smaller, more intimate salons (with another reason being that he was never really strong enough to play loud enough to fill a concert hall) while Liszt was a lot more charismatic and played with lots of pianistic fireworks in crowded performance venues. Back then being a pianist was a lot more about composing your own works rather than nowadays where it's more about accurately reproducing some other composer's works, and their works reflect a lot of who they were and their personalities.

I would suggest Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu. I know it's been done before (but can't remember who now, but it was on Youtube), but didn't like the orchestral version -- I much prefer the original piano version :biggrin:. The beginning and end sections are fast and dramatic, while the middle section is more expressive and lyrical. Another one is Liszt's Hungarian Rhapsody #2, which has a slower but dramatic first half, and a fast and playful second half. They're among the composers' most famous works, sound good, and I'd like to see them skated to partly because they're in my repertoire :biggrin:

Sam-Skwantch

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a cello/guitar player but desperately wish I played piano. I went thru a Chopin phase this winter and all of the music I wrote on my guitar was intensely affected. No metronome can capture the feel of a song that breathes. That is why classical music works so well with skating. It allows the performance to breathe.

the

Spectator
It would be fun to see Jin Seo Kim skate a short program to Ozzie's remix of Doom Dada since he's skated to so much kpop in shows already.

cptnhastings

On the Ice
I would suggest Chopin's Fantaisie-Impromptu. I know it's been done before (but can't remember who now, but it was on Youtube), but didn't like the orchestral version -- I much prefer the original piano version :biggrin:. The beginning and end sections are fast and dramatic, while the middle section is more expressive and lyrical.

I love this piece. So dramatic at parts. Arakawa did her 2006 SP to an orchestrated version I don't like at all.

Meno and Sand did it in the 90s to the piano music and got someone to rewrite the ending because it was too slow for them. Which I think is pure sacrilege. :laugh: Chopin obviously was cursing them from beyond the grave by forcing Todd to nearly drop Jenny in the lift at the end and screw up the death sprial at Nationals.

In fact when I was looking for that performance I found a playlist someone did of "Skating to Fantasie Impromptu" with 8 performances (starting with a pro Yamaguchi performance to the full piece that I don't remember at all and a Sarah Hughes short that modified the ending as well). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGClSvlduA&list=PLXaNRQ2foWz_YtYqlN5E2wcpjPOqmAMR6

Vanshilar

On the Ice
In fact when I was looking for that performance I found a playlist someone did of "Skating to Fantasie Impromptu" with 8 performances (starting with a pro Yamaguchi performance to the full piece that I don't remember at all and a Sarah Hughes short that modified the ending as well). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYGClSvlduA&list=PLXaNRQ2foWz_YtYqlN5E2wcpjPOqmAMR6

Oh wow thanks! I haven't seen many of them before. I'm still looking through them but:
1) Wow I totally didn't expect Yamaguchi's last jump at all. Maybe more experienced skaters could see it coming but it just took me by complete surprise.
2) Sarah Hughes' first spin was done in time with the music, coincidentally or not. You could see each revolution corresponded to one beat (each low bass note in the left hand). In fact for the most part her moves were in time with the music, which is nice to see.
3) Wow: That Mao Asada performance was shocking and then breathtaking.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I meant the lyrical version of "Just for a moment" by David Foster. I've always referred to it as the love theme but it may also be called St. Elmo's Fire, I'm not sure. Below are links to the the St Elmo' Fire, Legends of the Fall and the Piano respectively.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXSmXthmkvo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYpMqhQt9kU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u83xIXliIXY

I'll add Christmas Eve/Sarajevo to my original list. I wish more people would skate to Christmasy music since figure skating seems to be so winter related to me and this is one I would love to see someone choose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHioIlbnS_A