Music people should be skating to | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Music people should be skating to

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I'm so curious where these programs are going now that vocals are allowed, I hope skaters will be brave and start to experiment more with their music choices.

aschiutza

On the Ice
I find actually words quite distracting from what the skaters is doing. Either he is doing exactly what the wordsare saying, so no big surpirise and nothing to think about or he isn't doing the same thing as the song's message and than it will be very strange.

There are LOADS and tons of very good instrumental music for those wanting to experiment!

att

Rinkside
Frozen OST Let It Go ..Idina version...I really want to see Yuna skate with this music/song.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I find actually words quite distracting from what the skaters is doing. Either he is doing exactly what the wordsare saying, so no big surpirise and nothing to think about or he isn't doing the same thing as the song's message and than it will be very strange.

There are LOADS and tons of very good instrumental music for those wanting to experiment!

Don't think so. I'm actually looking forward to different languages here. I hope not everyone will skate to english songs. I don't understand russian so I don't know if V/T or I/K interpreted the lyrics in their exhibition skates and personally I don't think you have to tell the story of the song, I still enjoyed them. In the end it's the same with Carmen, Swan Lake or Scheherazade. It's no surprise without the vocals either. But you're right about instrumentals, there are many great pieces that were ignored. I would maybe do a SP to an instrumental and the FS with a few vocals. In the end I think most skaters will stay in their comfort zone with the usual classical piece. Unfortunately.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Frozen OST Let It Go ..Idina version...I really want to see Yuna skate with this music/song.

I don't. This is going to be THE most overused piece of music at every level all around the world this season. I love the song but I'll love it even more if I don't have to hear it fifty million times.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
my dream programs:

SP/SD: Lindsey Stirling's Zelda medley (would have to be edited): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3KUyPKbR7Q

LP/FD: Passacaille d'Armide by Jean-Baptiste Lully: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzCXBI57Kyo

Orchestra versions of any Zelda Game Soundtrack would make me so happy. I would love a girl skate to Skyward Sword as Zelda. Didn't Kevin Reynolds skate to some game soundtrack? (I mean aside from Mario Soundtracks, they are cute but there are really great pieces of music to be found in video game music)

Lord of the Rings would also be great. But also newer stuff like the Game of Thrones OST or the theme of Pacific Rim by Ramin Djawadi. A powerful skater could make this an awesome program. With kicks and the like. ;)

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Don't think so. I'm actually looking forward to different languages here. I hope not everyone will skate to english songs.
Same here :) I really like listening to songs in a language that I don't speak. If you don't understand it then the words themselves don't really matter and you can listen to the singing in a whole different way, as part of the music itself.
Regarding the skaters: I believe that most people have a deeper connection to lyrics in their native language. And it never hurts any performance to feel connected to the music.

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
I loved Todd's Lord of The Rings free skate! I was trying to remember what that number was.

Has anyone ever used Mozart's eine kleine nachtmusik, A little Surprising

Scovies

Final Flight
I'm so curious where these programs are going now that vocals are allowed, I hope skaters will be brave and start to experiment more with their music choices.

I'm betting Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" will get used a lot.

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
Some of my favourites that I'd like to see skated to:

Classical & Opera

Schumann's Kinderszenen

Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata

Schubert's Auf dem Wasser zu singen

Händel's Hornpipe from Water Music n. 2

Janáček's Sinfonietta

Glass' Beauty and the Beast

Mozart's Don Giovanni and Die Zauberflöte

Soundtracks

Georges Delerue's Les Deux anglaises, La nuit américaine, Jules et Jim

Ennio Morricone's Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto

John Barry's The Lion in Winter

Joe Hisahishi's Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke

Goblin's Profondo rosso

Other

Goran Bregovič – I enjoyed Zlobina/Sitnikov 2012-13 FD

Yann Tiersen – he composed more than Amélie. Rue des Cascades, for instance

Skatetomusic

On the Ice
The music World of Raul Di Blasio is huge. I did a search on amazon and was fascinated. Much of his melodic music would seem very suitable to skating

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Re: Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah," if you haven't already seen it, check out Sasha Cohen's performance of it on YouTube. She's used it in a couple of exhibitions. Beautiful!

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I agree about LotR. Such beautiful music!

Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovsky had a really great FD in the 2002-03 season with interesting edits from the "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack,

Sadly they scraped it mid-season, A bigger shame is i can't find that skate anymore anywhere :(

whole post

I love the breadth of your choices! I'll explore the ones that are unfamiliar to me. One that I already agree with is John Barry's score for The Lion in Winter. It's always been a favorite of mine, too. The opening fanfare, of course, is splendid, and then that lyrical "Eleanore, regina Anglorum, salus et vita (Eleanor, queen of the English, health and life)" is so lovely. (And so counter to the way Eleanor and Henry behave to each other in the movie!)

Handel is a great idea. That era of the Baroque used a lot of dance rhythms, too, and a lot could be done with a clever arrangement.

Another good Georges Delerue score is the one for Maid to Order, an obscure but charming American fantasy comedy.

One thing that worries me with vocal music is that a lot of skaters will probably choose the latest Top 40 hit. In terms of actual musical construction, most of them are pretty skimpy. That's one reason classical music is so useful. It's not just that it's "always been done." It's very rich in terms of a narrative thread, melodic texture, and rhythmic variety.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Some of my favourites that I'd like to see skated to:

Classical & Opera

Schumann's Kinderszenen

Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata

Schubert's Auf dem Wasser zu singen

Händel's Hornpipe from Water Music n. 2

Janáček's Sinfonietta

Glass' Beauty and the Beast

Mozart's Don Giovanni and Die Zauberflöte

Soundtracks

Georges Delerue's Les Deux anglaises, La nuit américaine, Jules et Jim

Ennio Morricone's Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto

John Barry's The Lion in Winter

Joe Hisahishi's Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke

Goblin's Profondo rosso

Other

Goran Bregovič – I enjoyed Zlobina/Sitnikov 2012-13 FD

Yann Tiersen – he composed more than Amélie. Rue des Cascades, for instance

The Janacek "Sinfonietta" gets a HUGE thumbs up from me! :clap:

I also think the Bizet "Symphony in C" would be beautiful -- a great alternative to "Carmen." And the waltz from Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin." Trying to think of some Bach, too, but haven't yet come up w/ anything that feels like it would work.

BTW, re: Janacek, Jiri Kylian (sp?) did some wonderful choreography for it. It's one of the signature pieces of the Netherlands Dance Theater. I saw it live many years ago and loved it; thanks to your post, am going to search for it on YouTube.

UnChosen

On the Ice
A lot of video game music nowadays are perfect for figure skating.

A lot of them are exactly 3 minutes or 4 minutes long, and have all the varied tempo and crescendos within that small time frame to make the song more exciting and less monotonous.

Much better than these horribly cut and "modernized" versions of classical music just to fit into the time limit. I find it really disruptive to have these programs where it is slow for 3/4th of the program only for it to abruptly change to a fast movement near the end just so the skater can go crazy with their footwork sequence and ending spin.

I wish a skater would do a program to the Super Mario Galaxy credit song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBrwceBdDQQ

4 minutes long, orchestrated, varied tempo with a strong build up near the end, what's not to like.

Too bad athletes and video games don't mix well :p

edenlover

On the Ice
The music World of Raul Di Blasio is huge. I did a search on amazon and was fascinated. Much of his melodic music would seem very suitable to skating

Johnny Weir skated to diBlasio and did a wonderful job. So did the Russian couple who won the World Championships in 1996 (I think).

Irina skated to Maxim and he has some great pieces.

I love Smetana's The Moldau. parts of which would be good for Dance.

There's the theme from Nicolas and Alexandra which is just gorgeous.

Anything from John Barry--remember Jill Trenary's skate to the Theme from Out of Africa? Dances With WOlves is gorgeous, just to name one.

Lee Holdridge (East of Eden fame) wrote the theme from the TV series Beauty and the Beast which is exceptional.

And I agree much of what was written during the romantic era of classical music would be welcome.