Music people should be skating to | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Music people should be skating to

creaturelover

On the Ice
Game of Thrones soundtrack, Harry Potter soundtrack (Lily's Theme), and Pirates Of the Caribbean (Up is Down in particular!).
Frozen soundtrack (the actual soundtrack and not the songs) would be amazing, IMO Let it Go works only in a show setting (the Let it Go in All That Skate was ok). Let it Go is too cheesy otherwise on ice. Wicked's instrumental should be skated to as well, it has some amazing themes.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Game of Thrones soundtrack, Harry Potter soundtrack (Lily's Theme), and Pirates Of the Caribbean (Up is Down in particular!).
Frozen soundtrack (the actual soundtrack and not the songs) would be amazing, IMO Let it Go works only in a show setting (the Let it Go in All That Skate was ok). Let it Go is too cheesy otherwise on ice. Wicked's instrumental should be skated to as well, it has some amazing themes.

Welcome!

Re: "Wicked," I'd love to see someone use "Defying Gravity" -- only thing is, with that title and those words, a fall would pretty much destroy the program. JMO.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to see a man who can handle emotion and feeling skate to Shenandoah. Someone with the emotional power of Jeremy Abbott, but with stronger nerves.

For our global friends, it's an American folk song. Simple, straightforward, and breathtaking when done really well.

There are many arrangements and artists to choose from, both vocal and instrumental. This one is from a Norwegian soprano.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1EG_4IBzbA

I think that in this case, less could be more. A lot more.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Something in the 20th century will be refreshing. Problem is imo many of the judges don't seem to know what to make of original, unique, creative work, as proven on how some of these PCS marks, many may even been deaf. Personally I think they should at least pass a basic musicality test to qualify judging choreography.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd love to see a man who can handle emotion and feeling skate to Shenandoah. Someone with the emotional power of Jeremy Abbott, but with stronger nerves.

For our global friends, it's an American folk song. Simple, straightforward, and breathtaking when done really well.

Brian B. skated to a part of "Shenandoah," together with "They Call the Wind Maria" (from Paint Your Wagon). - Beautifully done! :biggrin:

Todd E. skated to a part of "Shenandoah," together with another piece (can't think of the name offhand) from Celtic Woman (as part of one of the "Skate for the Heart" shows with Celtic Woman as the musical guests). :love:

Skatedreamer, Nancy K. skated to "Defying Gravity" a few years ago. Personally, it's my favorite song from "Wicked," and I really enjoyed her program.

Something in the 20th century will be refreshing. Problem is imo many of the judges don't seem to know what to make of original, unique, creative work, as proven on how some of these PCS marks, many may even been deaf. Personally I think they should at least pass a basic musicality test to qualify judging choreography.

I just heard a lovely little piece for woodwind ensemble by Gyorgy Ligeti, which is tonal. It has such an interesting rhythm. Imagine the footwork in a short program! (Bagatelle for Wind Quintet number 3)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LufirJIGzo0

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
A comment about vocal music in another thread made me think of Villa-Lobos' gorgeous and haunting Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5. The first few minutes are wordless and I think this would be an amazing piece for a woman who could really interpret it, maybe someone like Carolina Kostner -- too bad she's retiring!

This interpretation by the Brasilian soprano Bidu Sayao, who sang at the Met in the '30s and '40s, is one of the finest ever. Hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLZD0XplYrI

anyanka

Record Breaker
I like ambient electronica, but it will depend on the performer who can pull it off.
The collected works of Massive Attack would be great. Something dark and sinister for anything off their "Mezzanine" album, their stripped-down version of "Light My Fire", the throbbing "Karmacoma", the percolating "Protection" would be best (assuming they cut them down to program length, their songs can be quite long).

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
A comment about vocal music in another thread made me think of Villa-Lobos' gorgeous and haunting Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5. The first few minutes are wordless and I think this would be an amazing piece for a woman who could really interpret it, maybe someone like Carolina Kostner -- too bad she's retiring!

This interpretation by the Brasilian soprano Bidu Sayao, who sang at the Met in the '30s and '40s, is one of the finest ever. Hope you enjoy it.

I love that music. Thanks for sharing!

Ekaterina Gordeeva skated to Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 in 1998. I hope you'll enjoy that in return! ;)

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love that music. Thanks for sharing!

Ekaterina Gordeeva skated to Bachianas Brasileiras No. 5 in 1998. I hope you'll enjoy that in return! ;)

Frenchie, you're so welcome and thank you very much for the link to Katia's performance! :clap: I've always adored her but had no idea that she'd ever used that music. Will watch tonight after work -- can't wait!

I love that piece! And I have always loved Bidu Sayao's rendition of it. Another one I love is from an unexpected source: Joan Baez. When she was young and her voice was almost unreal, she recorded this work with the cellos. It gives me gooseflesh every time. I agree that Kostner would do this piece justice, and I think Mao would also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfTtUxyjOaE

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
I love that piece! And I have always loved Bidu Sayao's rendition of it. Another one I love is from an unexpected source: Joan Baez. When she was young and her voice was almost unreal, she recorded this work with the cellos. It gives me gooseflesh every time. I agree that Kostner would do this piece justice, and I think Mao would also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfTtUxyjOaE

Thanks, Olympia! I also found JB's version on YouTube last night when searching for a link to post; had never heard it before and you're so right about the goosebumps. Oh, that sweet, silvery voice...simply to die for!