Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Music people should be skating to

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    I'm so curious where these programs are going now that vocals are allowed, I hope skaters will be brave and start to experiment more with their music choices.
    I'm betting Jeff Buckley's version of "Hallelujah" will get used a lot.

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Some of my favourites that I'd like to see skated to:

Classical & Opera

Schumann's Kinderszenen

Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata

Schubert's Auf dem Wasser zu singen

Händel's Hornpipe from Water Music n. 2

Janáček's Sinfonietta

Glass' Beauty and the Beast

Mozart's Don Giovanni and Die Zauberflöte

Soundtracks

Georges Delerue's Les Deux anglaises, La nuit américaine, Jules et Jim

Ennio Morricone's Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto

John Barry's The Lion in Winter

Joe Hisahishi's Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke

Goblin's Profondo rosso

Other

Goran Bregovič – I enjoyed Zlobina/Sitnikov 2012-13 FD

Yann Tiersen – he composed more than Amélie. Rue des Cascades, for instance

The music World of Raul Di Blasio is huge. I did a search on amazon and was fascinated. Much of his melodic music would seem very suitable to skating

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Re: Jeff Buckley's "Hallelujah," if you haven't already seen it, check out Sasha Cohen's performance of it on YouTube. She's used it in a couple of exhibitions. Beautiful!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by luvsasha View Post
    I agree about LotR. Such beautiful music!
    Galit Chait and Sergei Sakhnovsky had a really great FD in the 2002-03 season with interesting edits from the "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack,

Sadly they scraped it mid-season, A bigger shame is i can't find that skate anymore anywhere :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    whole post
    I love the breadth of your choices! I'll explore the ones that are unfamiliar to me. One that I already agree with is John Barry's score for The Lion in Winter. It's always been a favorite of mine, too. The opening fanfare, of course, is splendid, and then that lyrical "Eleanore, regina Anglorum, salus et vita (Eleanor, queen of the English, health and life)" is so lovely. (And so counter to the way Eleanor and Henry behave to each other in the movie!)

Handel is a great idea. That era of the Baroque used a lot of dance rhythms, too, and a lot could be done with a clever arrangement.

Another good Georges Delerue score is the one for Maid to Order, an obscure but charming American fantasy comedy.

One thing that worries me with vocal music is that a lot of skaters will probably choose the latest Top 40 hit. In terms of actual musical construction, most of them are pretty skimpy. That's one reason classical music is so useful. It's not just that it's "always been done." It's very rich in terms of a narrative thread, melodic texture, and rhythmic variety.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    Some of my favourites that I'd like to see skated to:

Classical & Opera

Schumann's Kinderszenen

Schubert's Arpeggione Sonata

Schubert's Auf dem Wasser zu singen

Händel's Hornpipe from Water Music n. 2

Janáček's Sinfonietta

Glass' Beauty and the Beast

Mozart's Don Giovanni and Die Zauberflöte

Soundtracks

Georges Delerue's Les Deux anglaises, La nuit américaine, Jules et Jim

Ennio Morricone's Indagine su un cittadino al di sopra di ogni sospetto

John Barry's The Lion in Winter

Joe Hisahishi's Howl's Moving Castle and Princess Mononoke

Goblin's Profondo rosso

Other

Goran Bregovič – I enjoyed Zlobina/Sitnikov 2012-13 FD

Yann Tiersen – he composed more than Amélie. Rue des Cascades, for instance
    The Janacek "Sinfonietta" gets a HUGE thumbs up from me!

I also think the Bizet "Symphony in C" would be beautiful -- a great alternative to "Carmen." And the waltz from Tchaikovsky's "Eugene Onegin." Trying to think of some Bach, too, but haven't yet come up w/ anything that feels like it would work.

BTW, re: Janacek, Jiri Kylian (sp?) did some wonderful choreography for it. It's one of the signature pieces of the Netherlands Dance Theater. I saw it live many years ago and loved it; thanks to your post, am going to search for it on YouTube.

On the Ice
    Chopin's Tristesse, though it would be a shame to cut it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmQBFLJAIcY

Medalist
    A lot of video game music nowadays are perfect for figure skating.

A lot of them are exactly 3 minutes or 4 minutes long, and have all the varied tempo and crescendos within that small time frame to make the song more exciting and less monotonous.

Much better than these horribly cut and "modernized" versions of classical music just to fit into the time limit. I find it really disruptive to have these programs where it is slow for 3/4th of the program only for it to abruptly change to a fast movement near the end just so the skater can go crazy with their footwork sequence and ending spin.

I wish a skater would do a program to the Super Mario Galaxy credit song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBrwceBdDQQ

4 minutes long, orchestrated, varied tempo with a strong build up near the end, what's not to like.

Too bad athletes and video games don't mix well

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Skatetomusic View Post
    The music World of Raul Di Blasio is huge. I did a search on amazon and was fascinated. Much of his melodic music would seem very suitable to skating
    Johnny Weir skated to diBlasio and did a wonderful job. So did the Russian couple who won the World Championships in 1996 (I think).

Irina skated to Maxim and he has some great pieces.

I love Smetana's The Moldau. parts of which would be good for Dance.

There's the theme from Nicolas and Alexandra which is just gorgeous.

Anything from John Barry--remember Jill Trenary's skate to the Theme from Out of Africa? Dances With WOlves is gorgeous, just to name one.

Lee Holdridge (East of Eden fame) wrote the theme from the TV series Beauty and the Beast which is exceptional.

And I agree much of what was written during the romantic era of classical music would be welcome.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by jewel View Post
    The "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack
    YES! I can't believe more top skaters are not using LOTR. I've always thought it'd be perfect for Davis/White to do. Actually, I want someone to skate to a LOTR/Game of Thones mashup (I'd be okay if Misty Mountain theme from Hobbit gets thrown in too ).

Also, Doctor Who soundtrack - Murray Gold is brilliant and there's so much great material to choose from, and since some skaters are starting to use Piano Guys and because who doesn't love Star Wars, I'd like to see someone use their Cello Wars.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    I haven't noticed any Harry Potter themes mentioned. There are some powerful pieces on the soundtrack. It could get get very tacky if not put together right I must admit.

Custom Title
    I was thinking about this subject recently:

Does anyone think that "My Immortal" is something that could be skated to?
    Jackie Evancho's cover of "Lovers" from House Of Flying Daggers (or anyone's vocal rendition, really).
    Also "Se" again by Jackie, the love theme from the movie Cinema Paradiso.
    One of the songs from Moulin Rouge? I'm partial to Jackie's rendition of Come What May with the Canadian Tenors (maybe for pairs?)
    Lord Of The Rings would be fabulous.

Certain songs wouldn't work because there's necessary characteristics that are missing right? And what about the length? It would be the most challenging thing to combine different songs together.

But would "So Close" by Jon Mclaughlin, preferrably in French, ever work?

I would love to see more songs in other languages than English.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I haven't noticed any Harry Potter themes mentioned. There are some powerful pieces on the soundtrack. It could get get very tacky if not put together right I must admit.
    My favorite segment of a Harry Potter soundtrack is "Mischief Managed" from I think Prisoner of Azkaban. It's about three times too long, but there's plenty to be taken from it. And now choral music can be used, so that segment will be okay. There's a lovely slow section that's almost Elizabethan, around the 3-minute mark. The choral section, a setting of dialogue of Macbeth's witches, is around 7:20.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg__wAowsLs

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by meteorlight8 View Post
    since some skaters are starting to use Piano Guys and because who doesn't love Star Wars, I'd like to see someone use their Cello Wars.
    someone did! Kim Min-Seok of S Korea did his SP to cello wars this season.

agreed on harry potter and LOTR/the hobbit!

also i really like this dance a lot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r2Ko5J_GuU

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast