Inception Soundtrack

and maybe Indiana Jones soundtrack))

and surely, I'll never tired of The Phantom of the Opera

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
I've kinda answered this question in the music section of my reply to the “if you're a figure skater, what would you be?” thread.

So, visit that message to see a long list of music I would like to see skated to.

But, just to wind you all up, how about Douglas Wood’s “Drag Racer” (I admit – you probably won’t recognise the name. But as soon as British members hear the tune, it’ll conjure up thoughts of the bane of the figure skating TV viewer!)

CaroLiza_fan

Ituriel

On the Ice
Anyone has skated to this?

Batman begins soundtrack (Hans Zimmer, James Newton Howard)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJM3ghz8Jis

Good by Lenin soundtrack (Yann Tiersen)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTLCjq7Zwio&list=PLB2BDA42D6048CDD8

Master & Commander soundtrack (Iva Davies, Christopher Gordon Richard Tognetti with themes from Mozart, Bach & Boccherini)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fA6ucF8-BFo&list=PLHstKx3qJ5l-wFkJaPBbCry-wXktu34iw

Harmageddon (Apocalyptica)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPv4UWve7C0

For the next season, with lyrics allowed, these will be great:

Gradus vita, Hellsing sountrack
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFZjegvE6OA

Mi confesión, electrotango (Gotan Project)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaI65PZU9go

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I always like the music from St Elmo's Fire (the love theme) and from Legends of the Fall (the Ludlows). I also wish someone would skate to the soundtrack from The Piano.

colourmeblue

Rinkside
Kozuka has skated to Fantasia for Nausicaa, but Joe Hisaishi's music is a relatively unexplored realm.

Andante of Dvorak's Piano Trio No. 4 is also lovely.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Dvorak's New World Symphony please...Anything Copland, Mozart C Minor Mass and any real Requiem...Hydan's Creation is also amazing! Mendhelsshon's Octet or the smurfs music...ie Schubert's unfinished

noskates

Record Breaker
Love both St. Elmo's Fire and Legends of the Fall. Beautiful music - especially for a pairs routine.

But I would like anything that wasn't Carmen or a tango these days.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
The last 4:37 of August's Rhapsody from the movie August Rush.
Theme to The Beach.
To the Stars from Dragonheart.
Theme to Somewhere in Time.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
In general, more jazz, electronica and progressive rock. I know the judges are a conservative lot, but I'd like to see skaters take some chances with their music (provided it suits them & they can do it justice).

I'd also love to see someone skate to Steely Dan - "Do It Again" or "Pretzel Logic" would be good choices.

For fun exhibitions: Boney M - "Ma Baker" or "Daddy Cool," The Cure - "Lovecats" (I'm picturing Stephane Lambiel in his old cat costume here ;-) )

anyanka

Record Breaker
Phillip Glass.
Would be insanely difficult from a PCS perspective, really tough music to interpret, but could work on the *right* skater.
[paging Daisuke Takahashi ...]

Phillip Glass.
Would be insanely difficult from a PCS perspective, really tough music to interpret, but could work on the *right* skater.
[paging Daisuke Takahashi ...]

This is why I hope Daisuke doesn't retire. Imagine how he could stretch the possibilities of interpretive skating in shows or other venues if he kept going.

Snoopy15

On the Ice
The last 4:37 of August's Rhapsody from the movie August Rush.
Theme to The Beach.
To the Stars from Dragonheart.
Theme to Somewhere in Time.

When I was in Juvenile and Pre-Novice, I remember using the Dragonheart Soundtrack :)

The most recent film, "The Grand Budapest," had an amazing soundtrack by Alexander Desplat. Hope we see some good use of that one.

I always like the music from St Elmo's Fire (the love theme) and from Legends of the Fall (the Ludlows). I also wish someone would skate to the soundtrack from The Piano.

Legends of the Fall is certainly one of James Horner's best scores, I agree. Full of scope for skating, and not as done to death these days because it's an older film. As for St. Elmo's Fire, I like the theme song "St. Elmo's Fire." Is that the music you mean?

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States
Watching James/Cipres the other night, I suddenly thought of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time." I've always loved that tune. Don't know whether the idea was specifically about J/C or some other skater/skaters, but just wanted to add it to the list.

Another recent brainstorm was the marvelous paso doble sequence from the film "Strictly Ballroom." The one where chubby little grandma out-paso-dobles Scott, the studly ballroom star, and shows him how it's done by tapping the rhythm on his chest. Does anyone know whether a pair or ID couple has ever used that? I think it would make a super exhibition piece. Also "Love Is In the Air," the song @ the end of the movie where the audience swarms onto the dance floor w/ the competition couples.

Philip Glass -- holy moly! He's never been on my personal hit parade but if another gifted skater wants to go for it, I'll be right there cheering them on. Thanks for the links, I♥Yuna -- lots of watching to do. So many videos, so little time... :laugh:

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
The "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack
The Mission - Ennio Morricone
Inception Soundtrack

and maybe Indiana Jones soundtrack))

and surely, I'll never tired of The Phantom of the Opera

Brian Joubert actually used the music from "Inception" soundtrack.:agree:
I can't think of who used "The Mission" this season but I remember a man skating to it at Sochi. Paul Wylie also used it in the past.

IcyEdges

Match Penalty
I can't wait to investigate everything you've suggested here!

It makes one realize how narrow a view many skating folk (coaches, choreographers, the skaters themselves) have of music, especially of classical music--which, after all, is a 500-year-old treasure chest of possibilities. I expect more from the coaches and choreographers than from the skaters themselves, who are very young and likely haven't had a chance to be exposed to the vast repertoire of any musical style, even popular music. (There are exceptions, of course, especially skaters who also study music.) But the adults in the picture should really explore a bit more. I think Sandra Bezic and Lori Nichol used to find a lot of innovative stuff, though Lori has eased up in recent years, and Marina Zoueva seems to find great off-the-beaten-track pieces as well. I always hope for more in the future.

Not every skater and choreographer and coach is narrow minded and non-innovative. There have been some really cutting edge choreography and music choices. I tend to prefer work by Camerlengo and Shae-Lynn Bourne as well as Jeff Buttle and Kurt Browning.
Shae-Lynn did Wagner's SP this season to Pink Floyd and it's very different. Both of Jeremy Abbott's programs this season aren't boring warhorse programs. There are others, that I cannot think of at the moment.
As far as Lori Nichol is concerned, she used to be innovative. But lately she has become boring and uses the same warhorse pieces of music and choreography for that matter.
I mean, how many times can she see someone doing "Scheherazade"? Lysacek, Costner, etc. And this season she basically took so many of the elements of "Carmen" from Lysacek back in 07 and gave it to Aaron this season. It irritates me because I feel choreography should be specific to a particular skater, you can't just recycle it for someone else. :bang:
FWIW, I do like when there is something that hasn't been used before or is out of the box and is used. Especially when it fits a skater and their style perfectly. But perhaps that is just me. :confused2:

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
It irritates me because I feel choreography should be specific to a particular skater, you can't just recycle it for someone else

this is a problem with 80% of choreography these days let's be real