Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Music people should be skating to

Tripping on the Podium
    I always like the music from St Elmo's Fire (the love theme) and from Legends of the Fall (the Ludlows). I also wish someone would skate to the soundtrack from The Piano.

Kozuka has skated to Fantasia for Nausicaa, but Joe Hisaishi's music is a relatively unexplored realm.

Andante of Dvorak's Piano Trio No. 4 is also lovely.

Tripping on the Podium
    Dvorak's New World Symphony please...Anything Copland, Mozart C Minor Mass and any real Requiem...Hydan's Creation is also amazing! Mendhelsshon's Octet or the smurfs music...ie Schubert's unfinished

Custom Title
    Love both St. Elmo's Fire and Legends of the Fall. Beautiful music - especially for a pairs routine.

But I would like anything that wasn't Carmen or a tango these days.

Custom Title
    The last 4:37 of August's Rhapsody from the movie August Rush.
    Theme to The Beach.
    To the Stars from Dragonheart.
    Theme to Somewhere in Time.

In general, more jazz, electronica and progressive rock. I know the judges are a conservative lot, but I'd like to see skaters take some chances with their music (provided it suits them & they can do it justice).

I'd also love to see someone skate to Steely Dan - "Do It Again" or "Pretzel Logic" would be good choices.

For fun exhibitions: Boney M - "Ma Baker" or "Daddy Cool," The Cure - "Lovecats" (I'm picturing Stephane Lambiel in his old cat costume here ;-) )

Custom Title
    Phillip Glass.
    Would be insanely difficult from a PCS perspective, really tough music to interpret, but could work on the *right* skater.
    [paging Daisuke Takahashi ...]

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Phillip Glass.
    Would be insanely difficult from a PCS perspective, really tough music to interpret, but could work on the *right* skater.
    This is why I hope Daisuke doesn't retire. Imagine how he could stretch the possibilities of interpretive skating in shows or other venues if he kept going.

Quote Originally Posted by PlaysInTheDirt View Post
    The last 4:37 of August's Rhapsody from the movie August Rush.
    Theme to The Beach.
    To the Stars from Dragonheart.
    Theme to Somewhere in Time.
    When I was in Juvenile and Pre-Novice, I remember using the Dragonheart Soundtrack

The most recent film, "The Grand Budapest," had an amazing soundtrack by Alexander Desplat. Hope we see some good use of that one.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Phillip Glass.
    KOYAANISQATSI and NAQOYQATSI

Daisuke could do it
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8GCM-OH-q4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Il...77AF6C43751549

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Risa View Post
    I always like the music from St Elmo's Fire (the love theme) and from Legends of the Fall (the Ludlows). I also wish someone would skate to the soundtrack from The Piano.
    Legends of the Fall is certainly one of James Horner's best scores, I agree. Full of scope for skating, and not as done to death these days because it's an older film. As for St. Elmo's Fire, I like the theme song "St. Elmo's Fire." Is that the music you mean?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Watching James/Cipres the other night, I suddenly thought of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time." I've always loved that tune. Don't know whether the idea was specifically about J/C or some other skater/skaters, but just wanted to add it to the list.

Another recent brainstorm was the marvelous paso doble sequence from the film "Strictly Ballroom." The one where chubby little grandma out-paso-dobles Scott, the studly ballroom star, and shows him how it's done by tapping the rhythm on his chest. Does anyone know whether a pair or ID couple has ever used that? I think it would make a super exhibition piece. Also "Love Is In the Air," the song @ the end of the movie where the audience swarms onto the dance floor w/ the competition couples.

Philip Glass -- holy moly! He's never been on my personal hit parade but if another gifted skater wants to go for it, I'll be right there cheering them on. Thanks for the links, I♥Yuna -- lots of watching to do. So many videos, so little time...

Quote Originally Posted by Suzzie View Post
    The "Lord of the Rings" soundtrack
    The Mission - Ennio Morricone
    Inception Soundtrack

and maybe Indiana Jones soundtrack))

and surely, I'll never tired of The Phantom of the Opera

Brian Joubert actually used the music from "Inception" soundtrack.
    I can't think of who used "The Mission" this season but I remember a man skating to it at Sochi. Paul Wylie also used it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I can't wait to investigate everything you've suggested here!

It makes one realize how narrow a view many skating folk (coaches, choreographers, the skaters themselves) have of music, especially of classical music--which, after all, is a 500-year-old treasure chest of possibilities. I expect more from the coaches and choreographers than from the skaters themselves, who are very young and likely haven't had a chance to be exposed to the vast repertoire of any musical style, even popular music. (There are exceptions, of course, especially skaters who also study music.) But the adults in the picture should really explore a bit more. I think Sandra Bezic and Lori Nichol used to find a lot of innovative stuff, though Lori has eased up in recent years, and Marina Zoueva seems to find great off-the-beaten-track pieces as well. I always hope for more in the future.
    Not every skater and choreographer and coach is narrow minded and non-innovative. There have been some really cutting edge choreography and music choices. I tend to prefer work by Camerlengo and Shae-Lynn Bourne as well as Jeff Buttle and Kurt Browning.
    Shae-Lynn did Wagner's SP this season to Pink Floyd and it's very different. Both of Jeremy Abbott's programs this season aren't boring warhorse programs. There are others, that I cannot think of at the moment.
    As far as Lori Nichol is concerned, she used to be innovative. But lately she has become boring and uses the same warhorse pieces of music and choreography for that matter.
    I mean, how many times can she see someone doing "Scheherazade"? Lysacek, Costner, etc. And this season she basically took so many of the elements of "Carmen" from Lysacek back in 07 and gave it to Aaron this season. It irritates me because I feel choreography should be specific to a particular skater, you can't just recycle it for someone else.
    FWIW, I do like when there is something that hasn't been used before or is out of the box and is used. Especially when it fits a skater and their style perfectly. But perhaps that is just me.

Banned
    It irritates me because I feel choreography should be specific to a particular skater, you can't just recycle it for someone else
    this is a problem with 80% of choreography these days let's be real

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast