Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stars on Ice - any chance new Russians will be there?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CezarMart View Post
    I was once on SOI and I saw more Russians than Americans. It was directly after Slutskaya and Yagudin retired, but there were many eligible skaters there. And Yulia would be a HUGE magnet. She enjoys a tremendous popularity worldwide. Many people would want to come just to see her.
    Adelina, probably not but Julia became a huge sensation here. More so than the more top ranked skaters easily.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Amei View Post
    I understand that they can skate the SOI and still be eligible for competitions; I was speaking more of the training perspective - if they are doing a bunch of shows then that is (at least from my perspective) likely to take away from their training for the upcoming season.

But they would still be in the US (if they did SOI) where they would be staying in hotels, eating at restaurants, shopping, etc. around a large amount of people that they can't converse with and maybe can't even understand (not sure what their comprehension of English is - I know they both use a translator for their Q&A's). And both teenagers would, most likely, be away from their families for the duration of the time they are on the tour.
    I agree that it's impractical from several angles that they come here, especially at this stage of their careers. And in Russia these days, with the improved training situations and such receptive audiences, there's really no reason for them even to consider it. Not that I'm arguing against you, but in the days of COI, the situation was different, I think. It's amazing to see the roster of that show year after year until the early 2000s or so when it disbanded.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    I doubt julia or adelina go, they have given no indication that they are going to retire. Why do the Stars show that will distract from training and pour more stress on them by being away from home, to a country where they don't speak the language.
    I understand that they can skate the SOI and still be eligible for competitions; I was speaking more of the training perspective - if they are doing a bunch of shows then that is (at least from my perspective) likely to take away from their training for the upcoming season.

But they would still be in the US (if they did SOI) where they would be staying in hotels, eating at restaurants, shopping, etc. around a large amount of people that they can't converse with and maybe can't even understand (not sure what their comprehension of English is - I know they both use a translator for their Q&A's). And both teenagers would, most likely, be away from their families for the duration of the time they are on the tour.
    Re touring in general and the Russians:
    Last summer, Sotnikova was a cast member of Mao Asada's Japanese tour "The Ice." (Don't recall how many stops/shows The Ice had, but I think it was shorter in duration than SOI or CSOI.)
    In at least one ShibSibs video, Sotnikova looked as if she were enjoying the backstage fun and camaraderie right along with her castmates from Japan, the U.S., and Canada. If I am not mistaken, Kovtun also was in the cast.
    The tours offer opportunities that perhaps compensate to some extent for the time away from normal training: to earn money ... to improve performance skills, to be exposed to choreographers other than one's own, to build one's fan base, etc., etc.

Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Stars on Ice Japan: 4/12 - 4/20 http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/
    Stars on Ice Canada: 4/25 - 5/15 http://www.starsonice.ca/get-tickets.html

It seems they are running two separate teams this year, one for US and the other for Canada/Japan. Most of the cast for the Canadian part is announced already, all of them Canadians. I guess the US tour will be mostly Americans, too.

Canadian tour: Chan, Virtue & Moir, Browning, Rochette, Buttle, Duhamel & Radford, Osmond, Weaver & Poje, and Sawyer.
    Thx for the links, seabm.
    As an aside, I doubt that the casts for Japan and Canada will be identical. And every year, the casts for Canada vs. the U.S. are different, AFAIK.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    As an aside, I doubt that the casts for Japan and Canada will be identical. And every year, the casts for Canada vs. the U.S. are different, AFAIK.
    Last year the tour dates for US and Canada did not overlap. So it was possible to use the same creative team: Director, designer, choreographer, etc. They had the same opening/finale numbers, but other ensemble numbers were different.

I wonder who will run the US AND/OR Canadian tours this year. Would Browning be the director for the Canadian part? How about choreography? It is quite intriguing.

I spoke to Sinead Kerr @ US Nationals last month, expressing the hope that she & her brother John would be back in SOI this season. She said she would love to be in the tour, but had the impression that this season's US tour will focus on the US Olympians/World Team skaters. So far the confirmed cast for the US tour : Meryl & Charlie, Gracie, Ashley, Jeremy (according to the SOI website). I do wish the US & Canadian tours didn't overlap - we enjoy seeing our favorite Canadian (and other international) skaters as well. Perhaps next season (assuming there is a season), the tour will return to the mix of US & international skaters.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    In their welcome-home interview, Castelli & Shnapir said they are not sure yet whether they will be touring with SO I. (They hope they will be.)

Medalist
    The confirmed tour members seem to be IMG skaters, does IMG run the tour? I'm hoping Jason and the other Olympic team members performs at a few dates at least ( and can benefit from it financially). The tour isn't long and would be a great chance to earn some training funds while giving the skaters a chance to have some fun and practice performing.

Who else do you think will be on the tour?

I'm guessing the U.S. team members who medalled in the team event. This is tough on C&B, the Shibs, Polina, Z&B.

Custom Title
    No live show for me so soon, sadly. If I wanted to watch Ilia+Katia duet, I have a sudden feeling that this year might be the last they'll consider. Just a feeling. I liked their duet most, no offence to real partnering pairs or dancers... Just a sentimental thing. (They're so picture perfect with dramas)

Quote Originally Posted by mintx View Post
    .. does IMG run the tour?
    IMG does run SOI.

Medalist
    Jason needs an agent. Would it be a conflict for them to represent him and Jeremy? Just a thought. With one tour and once agency running it the other skaters are definitely at a disadvantage.

Quote Originally Posted by mintx View Post
    Jason needs an agent. Would it be a conflict for them to represent him and Jeremy? Just a thought. With one tour and once agency running it the other skaters are definitely at a disadvantage.
    No need to worry about Jason, IMO. From her years as a top TV producer, his mother no doubt is very savvy about agents, talent management, professional opportunities, etc.

My two cents re IMG:
    It represents both Wagner and Gold, for example, so I don't see any theoretical conflict for it to represent both Jeremy and Jason -- IF Jason and IMG were to decide that they want to join forces.
    Meanwhile, non-IMG skaters have been known to perform with SOI. Lysacek is an example.
    My hunch is that IMG already has been talking to Jason -- about the possibility of representation in general as well as the possibility of SOI. But I would not consider anything a fait accompli. For all I know, Team Brown might have good reasons of its own not to sign with IMG.

Or Jason may want to use the summer to improve his quad. It's going in his program next year.

Custom Title
    Depends on the agency. I was reading "The Second Mark" and one of the revelations for the Russians was that to get into ice shows IIRC was to get an agent. Moskvina learned to hustle quickly to get Elena & Anton some contracts and help work on their branding. I think it would depend on which stars get the best agencies to cast them. Plus, methinks it may be more attractive to them to skate in SOI rather than All That Skate, which Yuna OWNS, although V/T have been skating for Yuna's shows for the last two years. I imagine that Adelina would not be well-received in Korea, even if she had nothing to do with the final result.

Here's a fun question: how many of the competing skaters in Sochi are Yuna's employees in ATS? :P

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    I imagine that Adelina would not be well-received in Korea, even if she had nothing to do with the final result.
    This is unfortunate. I can imagine thugs booing at her anywhere and I don't think there is anything we can do about it. Maybe throw popcorn and coke at them while they are doing it. But anyway, she has to face it. She made a very unpopular decision by daring to challenge Yuna, so she has to live with it now. I hope she will consolidate her gold at the Worlds and that will silence everybody and clear the path for her. I really want to see her.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast