Stars on Ice - any chance new Russians will be there? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Stars on Ice - any chance new Russians will be there?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
In their welcome-home interview, Castelli & Shnapir said they are not sure yet whether they will be touring with SO I. (They hope they will be.)

mintx

On the Ice
The confirmed tour members seem to be IMG skaters, does IMG run the tour? I'm hoping Jason and the other Olympic team members performs at a few dates at least ( and can benefit from it financially). The tour isn't long and would be a great chance to earn some training funds while giving the skaters a chance to have some fun and practice performing.

Who else do you think will be on the tour?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I'm guessing the U.S. team members who medalled in the team event. This is tough on C&B, the Shibs, Polina, Z&B.

bebevia

On the Ice
No live show for me so soon, sadly. If I wanted to watch Ilia+Katia duet, I have a sudden feeling that this year might be the last they'll consider. Just a feeling. I liked their duet most, no offence to real partnering pairs or dancers... Just a sentimental thing. (They're so picture perfect with dramas)

mintx

On the Ice
Jason needs an agent. Would it be a conflict for them to represent him and Jeremy? Just a thought. With one tour and once agency running it the other skaters are definitely at a disadvantage.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Jason needs an agent. Would it be a conflict for them to represent him and Jeremy? Just a thought. With one tour and once agency running it the other skaters are definitely at a disadvantage.

No need to worry about Jason, IMO. From her years as a top TV producer, his mother no doubt is very savvy about agents, talent management, professional opportunities, etc.

My two cents re IMG:
It represents both Wagner and Gold, for example, so I don't see any theoretical conflict for it to represent both Jeremy and Jason -- IF Jason and IMG were to decide that they want to join forces.
Meanwhile, non-IMG skaters have been known to perform with SOI. Lysacek is an example.
My hunch is that IMG already has been talking to Jason -- about the possibility of representation in general as well as the possibility of SOI. But I would not consider anything a fait accompli. For all I know, Team Brown might have good reasons of its own not to sign with IMG.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Or Jason may want to use the summer to improve his quad. It's going in his program next year.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Depends on the agency. I was reading "The Second Mark" and one of the revelations for the Russians was that to get into ice shows IIRC was to get an agent. Moskvina learned to hustle quickly to get Elena & Anton some contracts and help work on their branding. I think it would depend on which stars get the best agencies to cast them. Plus, methinks it may be more attractive to them to skate in SOI rather than All That Skate, which Yuna OWNS, although V/T have been skating for Yuna's shows for the last two years. I imagine that Adelina would not be well-received in Korea, even if she had nothing to do with the final result.

Here's a fun question: how many of the competing skaters in Sochi are Yuna's employees in ATS? :p

Manitou

Medalist
I imagine that Adelina would not be well-received in Korea, even if she had nothing to do with the final result.

This is unfortunate. I can imagine thugs booing at her anywhere and I don't think there is anything we can do about it. Maybe throw popcorn and coke at them while they are doing it. But anyway, she has to face it. She made a very unpopular decision by daring to challenge Yuna, so she has to live with it now. I hope she will consolidate her gold at the Worlds and that will silence everybody and clear the path for her. I really want to see her.

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is unfortunate. I can imagine thugs booing at her anywhere and I don't think there is anything we can do about it. Maybe throw popcorn and coke at them while they are doing it. But anyway, she has to face it. She made a very unpopular decision by deciding to dare to challenge Yuna, so she has to live with it now. I hope she will consolidate her gold at the Worlds and that will silence everybody and clear the path for her. I really want to see her.

I think just getting on the podium will be enough to silence the critics, at least for the time being. She's got to overcome Mao, Caro and Yulia as well, so her competition will be tough. Mao will have major pressure to give a great farewell performance on home ice (if she does retire) and Yulia will be HUNGRY for a medal after she took herself out of contention in the ladies event.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Here is the schedule from the official website. The tour dates are overlapped among them.

Stars on Ice US: 4/4 - 5/18 http://www.starsonice.com/get-tickets.html

Stars on Ice Japan: 4/12 - 4/20 http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/soi2014/
Stars on Ice Canada: 4/25 - 5/15 http://www.starsonice.ca/get-tickets.html

It seems they are running two separate teams this year, one for US and the other for Canada/Japan. Most of the cast for the Canadian part is announced already, all of them Canadians. I guess the US tour will be mostly Americans, too.

Canadian tour: Chan, Virtue & Moir, Browning, Rochette, Buttle, Duhamel & Radford, Osmond, Weaver & Poje, and Sawyer.

For those wondering about the SOI Japan cast, it seems to be the same for all three cities:

Buttle, Rochette, Arakawa, Oda, Mao Asada, Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, the Reeds, Takahashi/Kihara.

ETA: Kozuka, Chan, Pang/Tong, Fernandez, Hanyu, and Machida have been added to the SOI Japan cast.​

mintx

On the Ice
Yeah I love that US cast. It was smart of them to include Nagasu. The team seemed to get along well in Sochi so that should make it easier to tour together.

I assume that Polina will guest star in CA.

flutzy13

On the Ice
Yeah I love that US cast. It was smart of them to include Nagasu. The team seemed to get along well in Sochi so that should make it easier to tour together.

I assume that Polina will guest star in CA.

Love the cast too- glad Chock/Bates got the tour despite not being part of the bronze medal club. Would have been happy to see Z/B get the opportunity to tour and make a little money but I'm not surprised they weren't included. Glad for Mirai- this was probably what USFS offered her in exchange for her PC statement regarding the selection.

I do think Jason on tour is the best thing that could happen to the fledgling show circuit in the US. And Marissa & Simon's Royals program also is an old school, well choreographed crowd pleaser- the way Champions on Ice programs used to be instead of the thrown together exhibition that most current skaters seems to have now.

composer

On the Ice
I'm so glad they included Nagasu. I've been wondering this whole year if she's been having financial issues. I even thought that maybe Rippon choreographed her exhibition because she couldn't afford a more established choreographer (although that turned out so well, maybe she just has an eye for talent!)

Too bad I don't live any where remotely near any of the stops :( I would love to see that exhibition program live.

npavel

On the Ice
For those wondering about the SOI Japan cast, it seems to be the same for all three cities:

Buttle, Rochette, Arakawa, Oda, Mao Asada, Suzuki, Kanako Murakami, Virtue/Moir, the Shibutanis, the Reeds, Takahashi/Kihara.

ETA: Kozuka, Chan, Pang/Tong, Fernandez, Hanyu, and Machida have been added to the SOI Japan cast.​

They addet Yuka Sato and Carolina Kostner

CPWest

Rinkside
I went to the SOI show in Long Island NY 4 years ago. The skaters were pretty much all from North America. Pang and Tong was in the cast in the early announcement but they were not able to make it. I believe the new Russians are more likely to join the shows in Europe.

centerpt1

On the Ice
SOI doesn't pay what it used to. Wasn't Weiss talking about that several years ago? That the pay was so low it wasn't worth the risk?