Sotnikova's win: what does it mean to young skaters aiming for the next Olympics? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Sotnikova's win: what does it mean to young skaters aiming for the next Olympics?

wootie

Match Penalty
Unfortunately, I think to young skaters this whole absurd situation is going to mean that they have to understand that more goes into deciding who's the winner than who's actually the best. Oftentimes (just as in everyday life), certain people are given certain advantages for no real reason other than...luck and coincidence. Figure skating has shown itself to be that kind of sport for a long time (perhaps since its inception), but it's just that much more obvious now that politicking, your nationality, where you skate, who your coaches know and are aligned with, etc are blatantly displayed as being contributing factors in the outcomes of figure skating competitions....all of these things figure into the ultimate outcome. So...I think more coaches have to be honest with their skaters (even their prodigies) about the fact that ,well, sometimes things won't go your way even when you do your best. Of course, you should always try your best (as true champions do), but it would be wise to not let one's life fall by the wayside should the results not match what they should be.

zxcvbnm1

Match Penalty
Young skaters should show their flutz, underrotate, mess up a jump, two foot landings to become a olympic champion.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Focus on technical difficulties. Never be discouraged by wrong-edge takeoff or under-rotaion. If you have high enough technical contents, your PCS will naturally follow.
Agree, if you can't do the jumps it does not matter how artistic you are. Example Sasha Cohen. The most beautiful skater there ever was but her jumps almost always failed her. Cost her the OGM.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think there is a great focus on having the skaters deliver the technical goods in order to win. Last year, Yuna was ahead of Gracie's PCS by ~13 points at Worlds LP. In Sochi Yuna was ahead of Gracie by 6.

However, one must admit this regarding the PCS example you mentioned: Gracie Gold is not the same Gracie Gold from a component aspect that she was last year. She grew artistically, and it showed in her skating and in her component marks. Is this not how it should be? Skaters improve, and the scores reflect that?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
However, one must admit this regarding the PCS example you mentioned: Gracie Gold is not the same Gracie Gold from a component aspect that she was last year. She grew artistically, and it showed in her skating and in her component marks. Is this not how it should be? Skaters improve, and the scores reflect that?

I do agree. It is a good thing when more ladies who are good all-around skaters get the marks to compete for podium positions.

fahrenheit290

Rinkside
Agree, if you can't do the jumps it does not matter how artistic you are. Example Sasha Cohen. The most beautiful skater there ever was but her jumps almost always failed her. Cost her the OGM.

Yup. It was gut-wrenching to watch, when she missed those two jumps in Torino. She was a gorgeous skater. Her spirals....I've never seen anyone come close, and I wish the spirals were again required elements. The fire in her short program performance was incredible. I miss it all, and those headless scratch spins and forward scratch spins no one does today. But the jumps, you need the jumps! Triple-triples are the game today. Maybe in four years it'll be a quad that makes the difference?

sk8in

Match Penalty

Unlike Julia, Evgeni, and Adelina, Gracie Gold got good PCS the honest way. She got a new coach, and worked on her choreography, grace, timing and emoting with every competition. If she figures out that triple flip, she will be a major contender for the World Championships.

I think the controversy at this Olympics will fuel an intense rivalry between the Americans and Russians. Without a clear inheritor to Yuna's throne in South Korea, the American ladies will be framed as the avengers of Adelina's wrongful victory. Although I expect the judging an Pyeongchang to be more fair, I can imagine the crowds being quite hostile to the Russian women in particular.

aa456

On the Ice

agreed. Gracie has shown much improvement compared to what she did at Worlds 2013. i also feel that this season, and not just in Sochi, judges became rather lax with scoring PCS in regards to the newbies (not necessarily a bad thing). I feel it has more to do with these newbies being the standard from now on as the veterans are mostly retiring.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Unlike Julia, Evgeni, and Adelina, Gracie Gold got good PCS the honest way. She got a new coach, and worked on her choreography, grace, timing and emoting with every competition. If she figures out that triple flip, she will be a major contender for the World Championships.

You're right. Julia and Adelina lied, cheated and stole their way to better PCS :disapp:

sk8in

Match Penalty
It explains the two judges who persistently market her above all other skaters, and marked down Kima Yuna. : )

sk8in

Match Penalty
No she won due to an inflation of her PCS despite not skating to her music, putting anything into her presentation, or having any semblance of grace in how she executed her elements.