What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

What exactly was Sotnikova's theme in her long program?

usethis2

Medalist
@jenaj: You wrote this,

It was kind of passion-less. Yuna is not a very expressive skater to begin with but the combination of the music, the Russian audience, skating last and the Olympic stage seemed to take some life out of her. Regardless of her shortcomings, Adelina skated the heck out of that program. She raised her game and Yuna went with, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I wish Yuna had stepped out of her comfort zone more, even if it might not have been enough. (emphasis mine)

I responded,

So you have a double standard. I don't think you are alone in that. Many fans hold Yuna in higher regard and often expect her to outdo her past performances. If that is what you meant, I can relate to it. Although unlike you I was moved by her Olympic performance.

But when it comes to "getting you wrong," that is not my intention. To the contrary I want to get you right. ;) That is why I am asking. You say Yuna stayed in her comfort zone. Well, the facts on the ground tell a different story. Had she wanted to ride easy, she could have recycled her 2013 programs which were already proven in WC 2013. That she and Wilson wanted something special for the farewell and the Olympics, with distinctively different programs than what Yuna had done prior to this year, is in itself a testament to her dedication. (as a matter of fact, there was a huge debate how well such different programs suit her on this board) There are many skaters who reused their previous season's programs for the Olympics. In Adelina's case, she used the same program that she used for her junior competition, I've heard. Yes, Yuna does the same jumps but who doesn't?

So I am left puzzled by statements such as "Yuna played it safe" (a la Weir) because I honestly don't know what that means. It's not like she skipped a planned element in her routine.

It would be easier for me to understand if someone simply stated Yuna's skating is not her/his cup of tea. But a lot of rationalization on Sochi results are bogus claims made in bad-faith or from ignorance.

Edit: Remember Johnny Weir in Vancouver? Many were moved by his performance and thought he had given it all. But that doesn't mean he was good enough for a medal.

Edit 2: I also strongly believe that those who think Yuna's skate was "tentative" are mistaken. It is clearly the double-standard effect that people have on Yuna. Yes, she no longer does frantic programs like Danse Macabre that's exciting at first sight. But if you go back and watch that program (2009 World version is considered the best), you can see rough edges around her skate. Those are all but gone now in "Send in the Clowns" and "Adios Nonino." Against Adelina, there is no comparison. Again, I suggest you watch the side-by-side.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8NIHBJBAqU

Try to watch them as if you never saw them skate before. Forget Yuna's past performances. See who looks more comfortable and who looks more cautious on the ice. Ignore Adelina's half-open mouth smile throughout the program not just because it has nothing to do with skating but it's also unattractive. :)

And your response is,

No double standard. To be brief, Olympic gold medals go first to the bold who deliver. Yuna delivered but she wasn't bold. (emphasis mine)

You are not being brief. You have no substance. If I can be so blunt, I tell you that you are doing a disservice to this board and to those who share your "opinion" by failing to engage in earnest debate. I replied to your post with a good faith, hoping to learn a thing or two from those whose opinions differ from mine, but what I receive is the same one-liner, a bare assertion, as if I spoke to a rock.

This is why I started adding people to the ignore list. Life is too short. There are people who disagree agreeably, and there are those who will disagree at any cost, including others' time. I am sorry if I come off rude but I think other grown-ups can understand. It is difficult to find a nicer response to such tone-deafness.

ETA: And on that side-by-side video, what really stood out to me in comparison was Yuna's flexed foot.

I have no idea what that is. In any case I will refer you to a much better analysis than what you and I can do -> Figure Skating Reference: Evaluating Step Sequences. It is sticked on this board and easy to find.

P.S. I will get out of this thread for it seems like I am going way off-topic. My apologies.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Kim- You already mentioned the 2014 Olympics (obvious) and 2011 Worlds (probably). However the other event I was thinking of was the 2008 worlds where had she won the LP by the margin she probably should have would have won the event.

1. Asada, 2. Nakano, 3. Yu-Na, 4. Kostner

Has always been my assessment on that event. Even if a case is to be made for Yu-Na winning the LP (which I don't think can be objectively made when you consider that her Salchow was underrotated), there's just no way Asada could lose the competition overall. Her SP was so superb, a clear league above the rest.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is why I started adding people to the ignore list. Life is too short. There are people who disagree agreeably, and there are those who will disagree at any cost, including others' time. I am sorry if I come off rude but I think other grown-ups can understand. It is difficult to find a nicer response to such tone-deafness.

You do come off as rude. Welcome to my ignore list.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker

Has always been my assessment on that event. Even if a case is to be made for Yu-Na winning the LP (which I don't think can be objectively made when you consider that her Salchow was underrotated), there's just no way Asada could lose the competition overall. Her SP was so superb, a clear league above the rest.

That's how I felt the results should have looked. Mao was amazing that year. That SP was incredible and even after that terrifying fall on the 3A she got up and nailed the rest of the program in the FS. There was no doubt in my mind she deserved that gold medal. Yu-Na had a bad SP and wasn't perfect in the FS either so I thought her bronze medal was fair.

I think Yukari Nakano got completely screwed that year. The judges placed Carolina way too high in the FS. She was very sloppy throughout her performance. This competition is where I started hating Carolina; I didn't change my opinion of her until the 2010-2011 season.

I haven't gone back and watched that competition (b/c it pissed me off so badly) but I remember being really furious over the results, very similar to the outrage people have re: the Sochi results. I wanted to stop watching the sport after that but that's where I began to accept that the scoring will always be crappy and that it's better to just enjoy the skating and ignore the scores as much as possible. I still get upset when the scores are unfair but rather than harp on about it for weeks on end, I get my gripes out and then move on. There's no point in stressing over it...it's always going to be this way...:disapp:

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I began to accept that the scoring will always be crappy and that it's better to just enjoy the skating and ignore the scores as much as possible. I still get upset when the scores are unfair but rather than harp on about it for weeks on end, I get my gripes out and then move on. There's no point in stressing over it...it's always going to be this way...
I ended up with that attitude too.

Not to condone the times that judging isn't all it should be... but life's too short, and it can never be perfect anyway. I just try to enjoy performances for what they are. Maybe a short tantrum if I don't like the judging... but then move on...

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree. Yuna fell in her short program and only received 59 and change. Nakano was the one who was robbed at that event.

Alba

Record Breaker
Had she wanted to ride easy, she could have recycled her 2013 programs which were already proven in WC 2013

I must say I prefer that program a lot more. Didn't like the tango much, but I'm glad she didn't recycle her old program. I don't like skaters that present the same old program for a second year, especially in the Olympics.
I felt the same about S&S in pairs SP. Loved their Pink Panther LP, but I think it didn't work very much as a SP although they skated very well.

Icey

Record Breaker
Whatever it was , it disappeared for me when she did her plushenko type move to rally the crowd behind her. Tasteless and beneath an OGM winner.

Alba

Record Breaker
Come to think of it, that's unusual, considering that Russians emphasize ballet so much in their training (wish US skaters would do more of that).

Whent it comes to ladies actually it' not that unsual. I think only Butyrskaya was the most elegant I've seen.
The USA girls are more elegant and amphasize ballet lines, which yeah it's a bit strange when you compare with russian girls.
Pairs and Ice Dance (in the past) it's totally different. I don't know why though.