Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evaluating Step Sequences

Custom Title
    OK, one at a time. I'll start with Gracie Gold, using an online video so we can all look at it from the same angle:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1fm90b_gg-iolp_people
    (starting about 1:42)

RBI rocker CW
    RFI bracket CW
    RBO counter CW
    cross to LFI edge attitude, mohawk CW
    RBI double twizzle CW
    LBO (I can't name this step, basically she just swung her free leg, changed curve and changed feet)
    RBO 3 CCW
    RFI mohawk CCW
    LBI double three CCW
    RBO small falling leaf to RFO (reversed curve on landing)
    RFO 3 CW
    RBI loop? (I think that's what she was trying for, but it didn't look loop-shaped enough to get credit)
    step to LBO
    toe turns CW
    RBI mohawk CCW
    RFO quick mohawk? CCW, cross
    toe turns CW
    RBI choctaw CCW
    chasse CCW
    RFI rocker CCW
    change edge CCW-CW
    RBO 1.5 twizzle CW
    LFO loop CCW
    toe turns CCW
    LFO three CCW
    RBO choctaw CCW
    RFI double three CCW
    swing free leg to 1.5 twizzle CW
    back chasse CW
    LBO choctaw, RFI choctaw (quick sequence, reversing directions)
    cross, tap toe CCW
    LFI bracket CCW
    LBO counter CCW
    LFO rocker CCW

back crossover
    RBO three CCW
    RFI mohawk CCW
    two-foot glide with upper body movement
    LBI choctaw CW
    RFI 3 CW

So by my count she did rockers, brackets, counters, twizzles, and threes in both directions, choctaws and chasses and toe steps in both directions, so that qualifies as Complexity of turns and steps (required for level 4) and also as Variety (for level 3).

She did rotate in each direction for at least 1/3 of the pattern.

She must also have gotten credit for either the upper body movement or the combinations of difficult turns with clear rhythm, but not both.

My guess is that she did get credit for the combinations of turns (boldfaced in the list above) -- I would say they did have a clear rhythm; it just wasn't a quick rhythm

I would guess that she did not get credit for upper body movement. The requirements are "visible use for a combined total of at least 1/3 of the pattern of the step sequence any movements of the arms, and/or head and/or torso that have an effect on the balance of the main body core."
    There was a lot of arm movement, occasionally looking up or down with the head, a lift in the torso during the attitude and a few contracting/folding torso moves, but most of the time the core of her body was fairly neutral and upright.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Thank you!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    YuNa's in the SP where she herself felt she should lose a level? [Level3]
    So um in BoP's thread I looked at Yuna's SP turns, and at least in terms of the turns, it does look like she fulfills level 4 (she does all 6 in both directions, plus has 2 combinations of 3 difficult turns). I haven't looked at the steps yet though.

Um just because she said she messed up doesn't mean it was downgraded, it might just be Asian manners.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanshilar View Post
    Um just because she said she messed up doesn't mean it was downgraded, it might just be Asian manners.
    That's how I understood it. It sounded like her usual classy demeanor which she displayed throughout the Olympics. Actually I haven't read that interview (does anyone have a link?) but I assume other forum members are reporting correctly. I have not yet encountered an account on where she made a mistake.

For instance, she said in an interview after the 2013 worlds SP that she thought she might not have received points for her spins and that is why her score was so low (69.xx). That was not the case.

Yulia forver! I'm on team dumped Ice Dance. Alba's Avatar
    I found this link about evaluating Ice Dance step sequence. http://icedanceanalysts.blogspot.it/...-sequence.html
    I think it's very well done, with all the steps, twizzles, levels, and how are the GOEs determined for each element.
    There is an illustration for each element with different videos and Gifs.

I haven't had time to review it, but be aware it is an associated product of the "Tessa had a secret baby" blog, and is prominently featured there.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I haven't had time to review it, but be aware it is an associated product of the "Tessa had a secret baby" blog, and is prominently featured there.
    I had no idea. But they do this for the european championship as well and it looked good to me.

Custom Title
    Facts are always useful.

Opinions about quality should always be taken with a grain of salt, especially when coming from fans of specific teams/skaters.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Opinions about quality should always be taken with a grain of salt, especially when coming from fans of specific teams/skaters.
    Or those against a team/skater. You are so right about that.

Anyway, you can delete the link if its not well done or biased.

Exactly! gkelly, facts are always useful. Opinions are interesting.

I am leaving it up.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 04-21-2014 at 11:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2