Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads | Golden Skate

Lipnitskaya coach: Julia may try learning quads

Barb

Record Breaker
:rolleye: :disapp: , she is great but this is absurd, it would more realistic about Adelina or Gracie

tulosai

Record Breaker
:rolleye: :disapp: , she is great but this is absurd, it would more realistic about Adelina or Gracie

I dunno, she has a LOT of drive. Sasha Cohen was training a quad at one time and I don't think JuLip doing so would be MORE ridiculous than that. At a press confrence a few years ago her, gracie, and Adelina were all there and asked about trying triple axles. Gracie said she was trying them a little with a harness but they were still really scary or something to that effect. Adelina said something non specific that I don't remember. And then julia was like (VERY SERIOUSLY) "No, if I try a new jump it will be the quad toe" and everyone laughed. Evidently she was not trying to be funny.

Npmonice

Rinkside
They should pour all their energy into fixing the technique problems she has on her current jumps, the 3lz edge and the 2a spring to my mind for a start.

That would do for starters :)

Chemistry66

Mmmmm, tacos.
Record Breaker

I wouldn't necessarily call it absurd. It looks like she's more saying that if Julia wants to try it, they'll try. That it's possible, but not certain. And that she doesn't think the one jump is going to be the make-it-or-break-it situation.

I think there's no harm in Julia trying it in training. I mean, Liza Tuktamysheva's triple axel has been trained and caught on camera but never actually attempted in competition.

Colanboy

Rinkside
I wouldn't necessarily call it absurd. It looks like she's more saying that if Julia wants to try it, they'll try. That it's possible, but not certain. And that she doesn't think the one jump is going to be the make-it-or-break-it situation.

I think there's no harm in Julia trying it in training. I mean, Liza Tuktamysheva's triple axel has been trained and caught on camera but never actually attempted in competition.

That's exactly what this reminds me of. I still remember the incredible hype about Tuk's 3A (justified - the practice videos looked awesome), but apart from one Mishin training camp performance, the 3A has never materialized in any program/competition. Everybody was raving about how much better it was than Mao's, but it's been years since those videos and Mao remains the only person to put it in competition.

Barb

Record Breaker
I dunno, she has a LOT of drive. Sasha Cohen was training a quad at one time and I don't think JuLip doing so would be MORE ridiculous than that. At a press confrence a few years ago her, gracie, and Adelina were all there and asked about trying triple axles. Gracie said she was trying them a little with a harness but they were still really scary or something to that effect. Adelina said something non specific that I don't remember. And then julia was like (VERY SERIOUSLY) "No, if I try a new jump it will be the quad toe" and everyone laughed. Evidently she was not trying to be funny.

:unsure: May be, and Mao is not like Midori Ito and she even got a good triple axel.

ahy

Final Flight
I think that she should correct her 2a and 3lz technique before adding quad jumps...she can't rely on how fast she rotates in the air but not the height and distance especially after puberty...

Trewyn

Medalist
Enough height? She had the tiniest jumps of the final flight at the Olympics. She gets that 3-3 around somehow but she gives me the feeling that the moment she gets hips or breasts it's going to be over.

Otoh it would be cool to have girls jump quads. I think only Sasha and Miki Ando are known to have landed one (without harness)?

Rhodium

On the Ice
I think that she should correct her 2a and 3lz technique before adding quad jumps...she can't rely on how fast she rotates in the air but not the height and distance especially after puberty...

Etery just said: "I do not thing that we will try quads tomorrow. [...] Julia's main task today – to skate cleanly."

Coach of Adelina said that it is possible she will try quads.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Enough height? She had the tiniest jumps of the final flight at the Olympics. She gets that 3-3 around somehow but she gives me the feeling that the moment she gets hips or breasts it's going to be over.

Otoh it would be cool to have girls jump quads. I think only Sasha and Miki Ando are known to have landed one (without harness)?

That is all I know of as well, and Cohen never landed it in competition just practice.

Npmonice

Rinkside
Etery just said: "I do not thing that we will try quads tomorrow. [...] Julia's main task today – to skate cleanly."

Coach of Adelina said that it is possible she will try quads.

That brings us back to what is classed as a clean skate! Standing up on all your jumps even if your 3lz is off the wrong edge! That to me is not a clean program. So as I said before work with what you got first and fix it!

Npmonice

Rinkside
That is all I know of as well, and Cohen never landed it in competition just practice.

That's true only in practice did Sasha land a quad. Surya Bonaly had better attempts at quad in competition, when comparing with Sasha.

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Mao remains the only person to put it in competition.
Actually Miyabi Oba attempted a triple axel at the last Japan Nationals. UR and fall, but kudos for attempting it in competition... and she wasn't far off landing it.

I think only Sasha and Miki Ando are known to have landed one (without harness)?
I think Miki Ando remains the only woman to land a quad in competition?

It would be cool to see "progress" in ladies' jumps. No ladies attempting a quad for over 10 years, and apart from Asada - only Oba this year attempting a 3A. And I keep thinking if Lipnitskaya would just add some height to her 2A, instead of a little "skip"... surely she could easily make a 3A? Same for a quad - if she had more height, I bet she could make a 4T :-D

I agree that growth spurts may change everything - in fact I wondered if her low-height jumps were deliberate, and the result of some "smart" coaching, so she would be able to keep her jumps regardless of future growth. (As she grows, rotation speed will fall... and then she could start adding the "missing" height... and the extra time in the air would let her complete the slower rotations).

But meanwhile, if she can do a quad, I say go for it! For as long as you are able!

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
While I'm not sure it is worth the injury risk for Julia, I love that the ladies are really pushing the technical merit. The technical content in the ladies Olympic event was outstanding for all the top skaters. I hope they keep it up, it is very exciting!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
I admire her for trying them. I'm wondering if she gains more strength as she gets older if it might actually make her more conducive to doing quads. She clearly does not get even remotely enough height to attempt quads, and I agree with many who say that Sotnikova has a much better chance at executing them.

I always worry about injury, especially at a young age when the growth plates can be damaged. But Julia and her coach will be able to figure out what should be next, I'm sure. The coach won't do anything to jeopardize the health and development of such a rare and promising skater, whatever they say in an interview.

Tukt is a special case because she was trained by Mishin, whose jump technique training amounts almost to wizardry. Look at how even in this Olympics, Plushenko retained his gorgeous quad-triple. And wasn't Ilia Kulik also coached by Mishin at the start? If Liza recovers her form and keeps going, she might have some spectacular jump in her.