NY Times Article on Dick Button's Upper East Side Apartment | Golden Skate

NY Times Article on Dick Button's Upper East Side Apartment

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
There was an article about his farm and garden upstate before, but this about his apartment is new. What a collection he has! Thank you for posting.

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Thanks for posting that link, I enjoyed it. Yes that is quite an art collection Dick has acquired over the years.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Dick's14 room "pied a terre!" Seriously, his collection looks awesome.

sgsmozart

Rinkside
I terribly miss Dick Button's skating comments. Not only for the actual technical descriptions, but for the aesthetic and cultural references. He wasn't afraid to be verbally critical. He demonstrated that there was more to skating commentary than just a " rah rah" for every performance.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
As someone who lives in a tiny Manhattan studio apartment, I long for a door to close that isn't my front door, oven door, closet door or bathroom door. 14 rooms! The Committee would like to move a family of 19 in with you, Comrade Uncle Dick. Fair is fair! ;)

Icey

Record Breaker
Wonder why he needs such a large apartment? Did his ex-wife ever remarry? I wish they had shown other rooms.

leoncorazon

Skating on through
On the Ice
Country
United-States
Love this quote:

"Which is your favorite skating performance of all time?
I won’t ever say and I’ll tell you why. Every skater has something that is good and unique and special. A great skater is one who reaches the top, and leaves the sport different and better because they were in it."

amc987

On the Ice
I wonder how he has so much money. My guess is that he bought that apartment in like, the 1970s, for a much more reasonable amount than one would pay for that space today.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how he has so much money. My guess is that he bought that apartment in like, the 1970s, for a much more reasonable amount than one would pay for that space today.

Dick is a born promoter and has been promoting himself and his various ventures since for the past 60 years, at least. I'm not surprised that he has a lot of money.

amc987

On the Ice
Dick is a born promoter and has been promoting himself and his various ventures since for the past 60 years, at least. I'm not surprised that he has a lot of money.

Yeah, I mean, I'm not surprised he's not living from social security check to social security check. But a 14-room apartment in Manhattan is a whole other league of money. It could easily go for $10 million +. Those would have to be some pretty lucrative ventures.