Glide & Float/ Crash & Burn Lessons & Practices, 3/29-4/4 | Golden Skate

Glide & Float/ Crash & Burn Lessons & Practices, 3/29-4/4

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Todays a new week so lets all post how our skating is going.

Glide & Float- good stroking for about 20 mins forward and back. I want to build up my endurance so I can get in better shape!

Crash & Burn- spins! I did an elbow smash on the ice while falling on a camel spin, not very pretty.

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Welcome Comeundone to GS! I just thought I would move your lessons & practices to the new week.

This is my first post at Golden Skate. I really enjoy reading all of your posts on your lessons!

Just a brief introduction about myself. I'm an adult skater in my mid twenties currently taking group lessons 2 days a week. I started skating lessons two years ago when I was only able to skate comfortably forward (not even able to stop). I've been working on the CanSkate learn-to-skate program and I'm trying hard to pass my CanSkate Stage 7.

Now, on with my lessons!

World Champion: Friday's session was exciting to say the least. As I was practising my pathetic little waltz jump, another coach from the club came and worked with me. She suggested me to swing both of my arms upwards while I swing my free leg upwards. It really worked! My jump finally looked like a jump (rather than a hop). In my burst of excitement, I even tagged on a toe loop after the waltz jump. My very first "combination"!

Triple Klutz: Sunday's session was not pretty. Our coach showed us how to do a loop, a half flip, and a half lutz. As I was practising the half lutz, I fell on the landing and landed on my knees. It wasn't a bad fall except that I have old injuires from snowboarding. Ouch, huge bruise. I even managed to fall two more times during the session. Once on backward chasse and once on RFI 3turn. Oh my.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
ComeUndone - oops, I didn't realize your post got oved. I don't know how to move my reply, so look under last week's practices for your welcome!

Mr.D

Rinkside
Wow, I finally got back on the ice after...4 months, and went back to skate on the ice at my home rink for the first time in 2 years, probably! I enjoyed seeing a lot of friends I haven't seen in a while. But on to the practice...

glide/float - My jumps are generally good! I landed everything up to my axel. Decided to try a 2salchow right before I got off the ice, and HAD it, but just sat down. But it's encouraging to see that I was still able to do all the stuff even after an extended period of being off the ice.

crash/burn - I HATE toe loops. I don't know what it is about them, but I can't get them off the ground like I used to be able to. I think maybe I'm pre-rotating or something, but they just don't feel comfortable. And my spins, of course, are as horrible as ever. I need to get a coach! lol.

sk8er1964

On the Ice
I know what it is about toe loops, Mr. D. They are just plain and simple evil things, especially when you want them to rotate more than once. Evil, evil, evil. I think they learned it from the lutz! :laugh:

Great job on the jumps! Feels good, doesn't it?

As for me, I haven't posted in a while so....

glide/float: The double sal is better. I'm landing more and more on one and/or two feet, instead of falling. Still a bit cheated, though. I was falling on them so much two weeks ago that we took the darn thing out for Mids. Don't know if they'll be good enough for AN. I'll probably try in the championship event no matter what - what do I have to lose? - it's my first time there anyway.

crash/burn: I'm a bit concerned about the altitude at Lake Placid. I've been doing double run-throughs of my program, but I'm afraid that might not be enough, especially with my asthma. My program ending is a lot of fun, but I really have to push to keep up with the music and if I don't have the stamina it will really show. :\

Mr.D

Rinkside
So i was right! The lutz and toe loop have been conspiring against me!! I should have known that a long time ago! I'm never practicing them on the same practice session again!

:)

seriously...I think the bad technique on my toe loop came from when I started doing the double...I did more of a double toe axel, and now I can't fix it. Argghh...

starshinexavier

On the Ice
I didn't post last week. I'm such a bad girl. This is for last Thursday.

Crash & Burn: The flames were HUGE!! I can't do axels and 2 sals anymore to save my life. It's ridiculous. I've been doing axels for gosh, 7 years now, and I guess they're not liking me anymore or something. Same story with the sals, except I've only been doing them for 5 years. I felt so silly falling on these jumps.

Glide & Float: It's kinda funny, but my 2 loops are super. I was doing tons and tons of them with great ease. So much so that I was doing 2 loop/2 loop sequences and 2 loop/2l loop combos. It's nuts, since the axel and 2 sal have disappeared.

On a non-skating note, my family got a puppy last weekend. She's a 13 week old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. Her name's Pinky. She's just the cutest little thing, and I could gush about her for hours. She's spoiled rotten, and the cats aren't too thrilled with her.

Happy Skating!!:D

sk8pics

Rinkside
Glide & Float:I had an extra long lesson on Sunday, and also an extra lesson on Monday, since my coach will be away the end of the week. My new interpretive program is just about done, and I'm starting to have some hope I will actually be able to skate it. Besides the choreography, we also worked on circle of forward to backward crossovers, changing directions after each crossover, with 3-turns or Mohawks. It was so much fun! I'll work on that in practice the end of this week, and also on the program.

Funny moment: On Monday we were running through the program, and the ending is sort of set but not really completely, and I hit the ending pose on the beat of the music. But my coach who was also skating the program, was kind of fussing with the ending and so he hit the pose about 2 seconds after the music ended. This prompted another coach to kid him about not finishing "on time!" It was pretty funny.

Also, for those of you in the area, there is going to be a club/nonqualifying competition in Laurel, MD the weekend of May 14-16. Lots of adult events. I plan to do at least the artistic event. The link is:

http://www.gardensfsc.com

Happy skating everyone,
Pat

Yazmeen

On the Ice
I'm a bad girl, haven't skated since Friday (aside from assisting with groups) since I was at a conference on the weekend and hubby and I had a date with David Bowie (concert) Monday night.

Friday synchro was solid and fun. She wanted us to lunge together on both sides but quickly figured out that lunging with only the left leg back would be better since a couple of us (including me) just couldn't do the left leg well at all. She's also contemplating having my line "bowling ball" through the other line in teapot position while the others hold their arms way up. It was quite silly. Kim's jacket kept clunking my head and the "holding" line kept breaking apart at first for fear of hitting us. We got it, though. Great fun!

I agree on toe loops. I much prefer the waltz-toe anyday.

Mr.D

Rinkside
Arrrggh

OK, decided to go skating today, albeit at a different rink (which happened to have a big congratulations to T/M on its marquee, since it's T/M's home rink).

So...

G/F - I spent lots of time on the evil toe loops, and actually fixed them. I looked at my tracings on the ice, and realized that when I picked, my free leg was stopping on its toe pick also, which is why I couldn't get up and around. So, i fixed it, mostly. I had a few really good axels and a few really good 2salchows too. Didn't quite get the guts to try and 2toes.

C/B - Had a nasty fall on an axel due to a wonky takeoff...came down straight onto my bootay. Ouch. My spins, as usual, travelled from my start point over to some other country far far away and I can't figure out how to fix it. Blargh

dlkksk8fan

Medalist
Crash & Burn-I got up early today to get to the rink by 9am and wouldn't you know it three bus loads of kids tearing up the ice. What to do, what to do? Go to the other rink!

Glide & Float-The other rink was a good idea because there was only 4 people on it! So at times I had the rink to myself. Concentrated on my spins which were a lot better then at the beginning of the week. Worked on my camel spin and acually got a few rotations on them. Had some good height on my toe loop and loop jump. Best of all my hubby came and watched for a while:)

sk8er1964

On the Ice
Re: Arrrggh

Mr.D said:
C/B - Had a nasty fall on an axel due to a wonky takeoff...came down straight onto my bootay. Ouch. My spins, as usual, travelled from my start point over to some other country far far away and I can't figure out how to fix it. Blargh

Wow, Mr. D - we are having similar practices. Yesterday I took off way to fast on an axel, knew it was wrong (leaning) and came down very hard. My ribs actually hurt today on the right side from the slam I took. Not a darn thing I could do to save it, either.

As for your spins, when mine travel it is usually because I am popping up too fast in the knee. I may not think I am, but I am (so coach says). When I think about it, I stop traveling. Good luck! (That will be $20 coach's fee ;) )

Mr.D

Rinkside
Yeah, the axel I fell on was one where I didn't quite make it up to the toepick on the takeoff, and as a result, got no height, and also was leaning in the air. It was one of the falls that knocked the wind out of me...I hate those! After that, i worked on taking my time on the takeoff, and they eventually improved.

Thanks for the spin advice, Sk8er...I'll try that. Though I think the problem may also have to do with that when I bring my free leg around, it stays kind of to the side...I can't seem to bring it all the way around, so i don't get enough torque to get my revolutions small enough. We'll find out on Friday!

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Float away: Back in the harness today. Waltz jumps are really getting high, and there's no more hesitation in going for them from back crossovers. I finally have the flow my coach was looking for.

A little hot, but eventually floaty: Dissected salchow further today. I got the opening edge longer and worked at jumping higher and really bringing the free leg through. Some were scary, several were scratchy and a bit wonky, but I started to see what she wanted, and I stopped that poppy "jumping in place" with it. Its not quite secure, but its light year's beyond the basic beginner salchow, so that's good. Worked in the harness on waltz toe combo, to get rid of hesitation before picking in and to try and really "go for it." Again, some wonks, some errors, but overall a better and bigger combo.

We spent the last few minutes working on my inside eight figure. Looks like we will have a Figures comp at our home ISI comp in May!!! :) Another member of our team wants to do it, and an adult make skater who competed last year is up for the old inside eight, so we're going to give it a shot!! Coach is please that I'm keeping edge and getting full around with the loops. Now I just have to find a clean patch and work on following that tracing. This really is fun!! :D

Mr. D: "Free leg to the side" was a problem with my sal at times too--I tended to jump out not fully around and that led to a smaller poppy jump. We started to get rid of that today.

Mr.D

Rinkside
today was actually a good practice! mostly.

G/F - Axels were nice and big today. 2salchows were nice and big...except I kept freakin' sitting down on the landing. SOOO frustrating. FIXED my toe loops completely, to the point where I was trying some doubles! Didn't land any, but they were big and fully rotated. Worked on...gasp...spins today! And can do a scratch spin again! Still not centered to save my life, but can do them again! And fixed my lutz, so that I'm actually jumping and rotating. Imagine that! I'm flutzing a bit...but I'll take it for now.

C/B - I ACHE! three days straight of skating makes me wish i'd do that mrore often, so i don't feel it so much afterward!

icer

Rinkside
Gliding and floating through the spins AND the jumps (usually a struggle). Waltz jump was actually comfortable, salchow "the best I've ever done", and the comment on the toe loop was about my nice pointy toes! Woo hoo! Loop jump is still pre-infancy, but so, so close if I would only believe in it.