Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"?

cooper

Medalist
Quite right.

When Gracie Gold announced she was skating to "Let it Go" with much fanfare in the footnote of an Icenetwork article that was about a different skater, there was an immediate storm of excitement and anticipation among figure skating fans in South Korea. After a fuzzy fancam of her performance on SOI appeared on Youtube, it immediately received hundreds of thousands of hits within the first twenty-four hours--the majority from Korea. The performance, and the song, became so wildly popularly that it retroactively was responsible for the animated film, Frozen, becoming the #1 most successful animated film in South Korea of all time, inspiring numerous covers by Korean singers that received hundreds of thousands--even millions--of views. All South Korean fans immediately became Gracie Gold fans via her moving and inspiring performance. One fan, also a Yuna Kim fan, created a Yuna Kim montage to "Let it Go," but barely anyone noticed--only 856,000 views so far (but some little website called the Hollywood Reporter took note of it). Samsung ingeniously decided to take advantage of the "Gracie Gold wave" and had Yuna Kim sing "Let it Go" to a montage of her skating--but unfortunately, since it didn't feature Gracie, it has only garnered 1.4 million views.

Hence, the decision to have Let it Go in the All That Skate show can only be attributed to Yuna seeing Gracie's SOI performance and an instantaneous reaction to copy the one and only Gracie Gold.

:laugh:

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
Quite right.

When Gracie Gold announced she was skating to "Let it Go" with much fanfare in the footnote of an Icenetwork article that was about a different skater, there was an immediate storm of excitement and anticipation among figure skating fans in South Korea. After a fuzzy fancam of her performance on SOI appeared on Youtube, it immediately received hundreds of thousands of hits within the first twenty-four hours--the majority from Korea. The performance, and the song, became so wildly popularly that it retroactively was responsible for the animated film, Frozen, becoming the #1 most successful animated film in South Korea of all time, inspiring numerous covers by Korean singers that received hundreds of thousands--even millions--of views. All South Korean fans immediately became Gracie Gold fans via her moving and inspiring performance. One fan, also a Yuna Kim fan, created a Yuna Kim montage to "Let it Go," but barely anyone noticed--only 856,000 views so far (but some little website called the Hollywood Reporter took note of it). Samsung ingeniously decided to take advantage of the "Gracie Gold wave" and had Yuna Kim sing "Let it Go" to a montage of her skating--but unfortunately, since it didn't feature Gracie, it has only garnered 1.4 million views.

Hence, the decision to have Let it Go in the All That Skate show can only be attributed to Yuna seeing Gracie's SOI performance and an instantaneous reaction to copy the one and only Gracie Gold.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You just cremated sky_fly :eek:

aftertherain

Record Breaker
lol @ this thread now.. i think "let it go" is very popular all around the world.. because of the movie frozen.. though i still don't get the song..

my friend has a tumblr

and let me tell you

that she gets "frozen" posts across her dash at least three times a day, including different variations of "let it go" which have nothing to do with gracie gold.

i don't "get" the song either, tbh. but it's a wonderful movie.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
And in my mind the only thing associated with Gracie Gold in 20 years from now will be sky_fly20

Well, I'm sure out there there's someone who'd like his name to be associated with Gracie in 20 years...

(Not the sleazey prom guy though, I hope.)

Meoima

Match Penalty
my friend has a tumblr

and let me tell you

that she gets "frozen" posts across her dash at least three times a day, including different variations of "let it go" which have nothing to do with gracie gold.

i don't "get" the song either, tbh. but it's a wonderful movie.

I also have a tumblr... And I don't get "Let It Go" either. I think it's a very cheesy song. :unsure: But heck... young people are crazy for it. I am okay with Gracie cosplay Elsa, though.:think:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm listening to an interview on NPR's Fresh Air with the songwriters and I appreciate "Let it Go" a little more about the process for it.

By the way, Frozen and "Let it Go" will be partially associated with Robert Lopez, who is part of the elite members of EGOT, someone who has won all the major awards: Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony. Now that is someone who is a legit multiple- threat!

nguyenghita

On the Ice
I was talking about the costume she's using at the end, in the photoshoot. Being a gala I hope it had more details.
That dress just used for the ad photoshoot, not skating dress.

LOL@this theard. The song used for opening routine at ATS ice show is the Frozen ost medley, Let It Go is just one song in all. Not that Yuna will skate only by herself, that's a group number with all skater after all :laugh: Rather than she actually skate LIG, I wish she will do fan-service by sing that song live at the ice show, just magical :love:

UnsaneLily87

On the Ice
I'm listening to an interview on NPR's Fresh Air with the songwriters and I appreciate "Let it Go" a little more about the process for it.

By the way, Frozen and "Let it Go" will be partially associated with Robert Lopez, who is part of the elite members of EGOT, someone who has won all the major awards: Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony. Now that is someone who is a legit multiple- threat!

But is he a blonde hollywood beauty?!?! Let's be real, that's what really matters. ;)

ManLady

On the Ice
ice dancing allows lyrics already? how often are they used in ice dancing programs? is it all top 40 and movie soundtracks? have judges shown any discerning taste in their grades based on song choice?

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Please return to the topic of the thread, which appears to be skaters who have skated to Let It Go, and not what you find humorous about other posters?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
ice dancing allows lyrics already? how often are they used in ice dancing programs? is it all top 40 and movie soundtracks? have judges shown any discerning taste in their grades based on song choice?

Ice dancing has allowed it for a few years. Usually top 40 (Amodio :laugh:) and blockbuster movie songs are considered tacky song choices for competition, but are fine for exhibition.

Next year is the first year lyrics are allowed in singles but I doubt the judges will be receptive to pop songs (unless its something lyrical like Enya/Adele/Charlotte Church) and Disney soundtracks. They're a bit too traditionalist.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Ice dancing has allowed it for a few years. Usually top 40 (Amodio :laugh:) and blockbuster movie songs are considered tacky song choices for competition, but are fine for exhibition.

Next year is the first year lyrics are allowed in singles but I doubt the judges will be receptive to pop songs (unless its something lyrical like Enya/Adele/Charlotte Church) and Disney soundtracks. They're a bit too traditionalist.
The problem is it is extremely difficult to skate along songs with words. I have watched some ex with lyrics this year and most of them do not work. :think: I think the choreographers also find it difficult to integrate big elements with song.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The problem is it is extremely difficult to skate along songs with words. I have watched some ex with lyrics this year and most of them do not work. :think: I think the choreographers also find it difficult to integrate big elements with song.

The problem with lyrics is that you have to "perform", and skaters need to focus more on execution rather than performance when in competition. For ice dance it's fine because there aren't jumping passes and lifts can be coordinated with the music, but in singles, it's distracting having to follow lyrics and maintain interpretation when you're about to go into a triple flip. The trick is not being so literal with the lyrics.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Maybe it would be wise to choose a song that isn't your nataive tongue. :think: TBH " Let It Go " does nothing for me. If I never heard that song again it would be too soon.

skatedreamer

Medalist
Country
United-States

:agree: That's a very good point. Choreography has already become more difficult (and less expressive) IMO b/c of the need for "point-gathering" under the IJS. Lyrics are just another layer to interpret and if the choreo doesn't illustrate the music, lyrics will make that more obvious. I did like Gracie's "Let It Go" exhibition, though.

Also agree w/ Sam_Skwantch that "LIG" is ultimately a rather forgettable song. But dang it all, it sticks with you for some reason. Maybe it's Menzel's delivery -- she sings the daylights out of it!

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
:agree: That's a very good point. Choreography has already become more difficult (and less expressive) IMO b/c of the need for "point-gathering" under the IJS. Lyrics are just another layer to interpret and if the choreo doesn't illustrate the music, lyrics will make that more obvious. I did like Gracie's "Let It Go" exhibition, though.

Also agree w/ Sam_Skwantch that "LIG" is ultimately a rather forgettable song. But dang it all, it sticks with you for some reason. Maybe it's Menzel's delivery -- she sings the daylights out of it!

It's a catchy song and a lot of celebrities like Jimmy Fallon helped it gain more popularity. And of course, the Oscar win. As far as songs go, it's not particularly iconic and kinda "wailing". Something like "A Whole New World" or "Reflections" is more of my kinda Disney song.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
No one I hope. I am sick of hearing this song. It's annoying.