Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Thread: Serious Question: Who will be the first to skate to "Let it Go"?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    The problem is it is extremely difficult to skate along songs with words. I have watched some ex with lyrics this year and most of them do not work. I think the choreographers also find it difficult to integrate big elements with song.
    The problem with lyrics is that you have to "perform", and skaters need to focus more on execution rather than performance when in competition. For ice dance it's fine because there aren't jumping passes and lifts can be coordinated with the music, but in singles, it's distracting having to follow lyrics and maintain interpretation when you're about to go into a triple flip. The trick is not being so literal with the lyrics.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Maybe it would be wise to choose a song that isn't your nataive tongue. TBH " Let It Go " does nothing for me. If I never heard that song again it would be too soon.

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    The problem is it is extremely difficult to skate along songs with words. I have watched some ex with lyrics this year and most of them do not work. I think the choreographers also find it difficult to integrate big elements with song.
    That's a very good point. Choreography has already become more difficult (and less expressive) IMO b/c of the need for "point-gathering" under the IJS. Lyrics are just another layer to interpret and if the choreo doesn't illustrate the music, lyrics will make that more obvious. I did like Gracie's "Let It Go" exhibition, though.

Also agree w/ Sam_Skwantch that "LIG" is ultimately a rather forgettable song. But dang it all, it sticks with you for some reason. Maybe it's Menzel's delivery -- she sings the daylights out of it!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatedreamer View Post
    That's a very good point. Choreography has already become more difficult (and less expressive) IMO b/c of the need for "point-gathering" under the IJS. Lyrics are just another layer to interpret and if the choreo doesn't illustrate the music, lyrics will make that more obvious. I did like Gracie's "Let It Go" exhibition, though.

Also agree w/ Sam_Skwantch that "LIG" is ultimately a rather forgettable song. But dang it all, it sticks with you for some reason. Maybe it's Menzel's delivery -- she sings the daylights out of it!
    It's a catchy song and a lot of celebrities like Jimmy Fallon helped it gain more popularity. And of course, the Oscar win. As far as songs go, it's not particularly iconic and kinda "wailing". Something like "A Whole New World" or "Reflections" is more of my kinda Disney song.

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    No one I hope. I am sick of hearing this song. It's annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    No one I hope. I am sick of hearing this song. It's annoying.
    very annoying, especially voice.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10