Should the Shibutanis consider skating with other partners? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Should the Shibutanis consider skating with other partners?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Speaking of which.... regardless of whether the couples are siblings or not, I always wondered what it was like to have a partner that you're not intimately involved touch you in your "sensitive" areas. Must be so weird. Like going to the gynecologist.

I think it is at first - perhaps in the early days of the partnership. I read an interview with a female pairs skater many years back where she said she felt shy and awkward when the guy she was skating with starting touching her and lifting her, etc. But I think that changes pretty fast, the same way it does with actors/actresses in movies. Many actors say that they are shy when they first have to kiss someone they don't know, or take their clothes off in front of others for a love scene, etc., but that you often just get on with the job and keep it professional. You become less nervous over time.

Barb

Record Breaker
V/M say brother-sister sibling ice dance teams weird them out too. Look at Tessa's ick expression at the idea :laugh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzzB7IXcbR8&feature=youtu.be#t=7m50s

:agree: Well. I dont wonder why. Their whole idea of ice dancing is "sex on ice". I love them but if they were brother and sister they would have more serious problems than Shibs because their range of themes always were only (we are soooo in love) that nobody believe it anyway because looked so practiced, well at least to skating fans.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
i remember john and sinead kerr said once that they don't think of themselves as brother and sister on the ice

nooooooooooo you should always think of yourself as brother and sister, i don't care where you are

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
:agree: Well. I dont wonder why. Their whole idea of ice dancing is "sex on ice". I love them but if they were brother and sister they would have more serious problems than Shibs because their range of themes always were only (we are soooo in love) that nobody believe it anyway because looked so practiced, well at least to skating fans.

Fred Astaire and Adele Astaire are considered one of THE great ballroom couples of all time. Oh and yes, they were brother and sister.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty

if v/m were brother and sister i don't think they'd be known for the gooey lovey dovey programs in the first place

Barb

Record Breaker
if v/m were brother and sister i don't think they'd be known for the gooey lovey dovey programs in the first place

I mean, they never looked beyond of the love theme, like they did not feel capable to do a good program with the same quality like is usual for them in another kind of theme. So when the presenter ask to Tessa it was like she feels weird because for her there are not another kind of programs, in her mind other kind of programs, I mean, no romantic programs, dont work, but it is only her prception because definitly there are another posibilities in ice dancing.

hyperinflation

Match Penalty
I mean, they never looked beyond of the love theme, like they did not feel capable to do a good program with the same quality like is usual for them in another kind of theme. So when the presenter ask to Tessa it was like she feels weird because for her there are not another kind of programs, in her mind other kind of programs, I mean, no romantic programs, dont work, but it is only her prception because definitly there are another posibilities in ice dancing.

i don't know why people keep saying this. carmen wasn't a soppy romantic program, neither was their latin fd, or pink floyd (and i'd argue funny face isn't really a romantic program either but w/e). so they do a lot of romantic programs...so what? it's their strength, just like skating to dramatic warhorses is d/w's strength. d/w never get criticism for NOT skating to something romantic.

and honestly, if you gave mahler to d/w with the exact same choreography, i bet it wouldn't come off even the slightest bit romantic and would instead be some grand sweeping, exciting skate. conversely, if you gave schez to v/m with the exact same choreography, it would come off very romantically charged and sexual. a lot of it comes down to the personal dynamic between the two skaters...which was my original point, that this dynamic wouldn't exist in the first place if v/m were brother and sister

and maybe she just doesn't want her brother with his hands all up in her business during lifts. i mean, i don't even like hugging my brother at christmas

Barb

Record Breaker
i don't know why people keep saying this. carmen wasn't a soppy romantic program, neither was their latin fd, or pink floyd (and i'd argue funny face isn't really a romantic program either but w/e). so they do a lot of romantic programs...so what? it's their strength, just like skating to dramatic warhorses is d/w's strength. d/w never get criticism for NOT skating to something romantic.

and honestly, if you gave mahler to d/w with the exact same choreography, i bet it wouldn't come off even the slightest bit romantic and would instead be some grand sweeping, exciting skate. conversely, if you gave schez to v/m with the exact same choreography, it would come off very romantically charged and sexual. a lot of it comes down to the personal dynamic between the two skaters...which was my original point, that this dynamic wouldn't exist in the first place if v/m were brother and sister

and maybe she just doesn't want her brother with his hands all up in her business during lifts. i mean, i don't even like hugging my brother at christmas
:laugh: . Ok, but anyway, what do you mean with "hands all up her business"? , in ice dancing the men never are touching their business, they basically are touching legs and waist, so I dont understand the fuss and the other poster comment about the gynecologist :confused: