Should the Shibutanis consider skating with other partners? | Golden Skate

Should the Shibutanis consider skating with other partners?

koheikun90

On the Ice
I have been a huge of these two since 2008-2009 season with their Cinema Paradiso free skate. However, I feel entering the new Olympic cycle that it's time to find other partners to take their skating to a whole new level. Their programs are becoming one dimensional and uninteresting mostly in due to the fact they are siblings. I would like them to explore more mature, romantic roles that both are capable of portraying. Alex in particular is a good looking, masculine guy with amazing skating skills and he has potential to be that leading guy like Scott, Charlie, Andrew, etc. And Maia is growing to a beautiful young lady with amazing expression of sensitivity and warmth. I don't see them progressing further together and their PCS are showing that. Their sibling partnership was cute but they're getting older and I think its not going to work in their favor in the future. I mean yes, there have been successful sibling teams such as the Duchennay's but I don't think their style is innovative and quirky enough to pull it off. They're styles are lyrical and soft and it would be wonderful for them to have partners to counteract it. What do you think?

mintx

On the Ice
I can't see them ever competing against each other. If one wanted to retire and the other wanted to continue then it would make sense. I'm not sure if they can or will get better or not but I think they will do it together.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I have been a huge of these two since 2008-2009 season with their Cinema Paradiso free skate. However, I feel entering the new Olympic cycle that it's time to find other partners to take their skating to a whole new level. Their programs are becoming one dimensional and uninteresting mostly in due to the fact they are siblings. I would like them to explore more mature, romantic roles that both are capable of portraying. Alex in particular is a good looking, masculine guy with amazing skating skills and he has potential to be that leading guy like Scott, Charlie, Andrew, etc. And Maia is growing to a beautiful young lady with amazing expression of sensitivity and warmth. I don't see them progressing further together and their PCS are showing that. Their sibling partnership was cute but they're getting older and I think its not going to work in their favor in the future. I mean yes, there have been successful sibling teams such as the Duchennay's but I don't think their style is innovative and quirky enough to pull it off. They're styles are lyrical and soft and it would be wonderful for them to have partners to counteract it. What do you think?

Their programs are becoming one dimensional and uninteresting because it is abundantly clear Zoueva doesn't know what to do with them. Somebody on the board here once said, Why is Zoueva trying to turn them into the Lawrence Welk dancers? And I laughed for about five minutes because, well, bullseye.

The Duschenays showed you can have a very successful career as sibling ice dancers (as well as the Kerrs). They did it by playing to their strengths--and thinking outside the box. The problem I see not only with Zoueva, but with the Detroit teams as a whole, is that they are ALL being put inside the same box. That's inevitable when only a few choreographers are creating programs for such a large number of teams.

The Duchenays discovered their style by being innovative and quirky. I don't see why the Shib Sibs can't do the same--by being innovative, arty and smooth. But they are not going to find that innovation in Detroit. Not these days.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
I thought the Reeds had so much promise in 2010. Ah well.

Really, with all the competition for singles in Japan, I've always been surprised that young skaters haven't said to themselves, hey, I'd have a much better chance of making the Olympic team in dance. Or pairs. Given the level of talent in Japan, it is lucky for the rest of the world they haven't!

noskates

Record Breaker
I think the fact that they're siblings shouldn't prevent them from being World class ice dancers. They just need better programs. Maybe if Charlie and Meryl retire and Scott and Tessa retire or change coaches (!!!) Marina will have the time to devote to them. While it was cute, I didn't feel that their Michael Jackson program was an Olympic-worthy program. I also think as of this year they've "paid their dues" and will be coming into their own in the next quadrant.

penguin

On the Ice
I do wonder whether the sibling factor will keep the Shibutanis from reaching that very top echelon, no matter how good their skating is... but on the other hand, I think if they were to find new partners at this stage, neither would be able to make it back up to their current level. They've skated together for so long and their skills are very well matched; it may be really really tough for them to find someone who suits them as well.

chloepoco

Medalist
I think the fact that they're siblings shouldn't prevent them from being World class ice dancers. They just need better programs. Maybe if Charlie and Meryl retire and Scott and Tessa retire or change coaches (!!!) Marina will have the time to devote to them. While it was cute, I didn't feel that their Michael Jackson program was an Olympic-worthy program. I also think as of this year they've "paid their dues" and will be coming into their own in the next quadrant.

I agree that being siblings shouldn't hold them back. I love this team, and hope they find even more success in the future. I think they're a bit under appreciated by many.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
No, they need to consider skating with a different coach. Being a sibling team doesn't have to be this limiting and their ShibSibs stuff shows that they can be really fun. Marina Zoueva just doesn't know what to do with them.

The Kerrs, despite their technical limitations, lack of height difference and of course being siblings were ultimately quite successful because they came up with interesting program ideas and performed well. I don't think their style would work for the Shibs, but their approach could.

Ves1307

Spectator
No, they need to consider skating with a different coach. Being a sibling team doesn't have to be this limiting and their ShibSibs stuff shows that they can be really fun. Marina Zoueva just doesn't know what to do with them.

The Kerrs, despite their technical limitations, lack of height difference and of course being siblings were ultimately quite successful because they came up with interesting program ideas and performed well. I don't think their style would work for the Shibs, but their approach could.

I totally agree. It seems that Zoueva struggles to juggle well with many top quality teams. It was da different story when Spilband was also in the team.

elif

Medalist
They tried Michael Jackson this year but their dance not looking like MJ. OK they tried some dance choreography when they are side by side and taking little breaks from skating but outside of that this was not a good free dance. Yes different but not enough.

Already Hubbell and Donahue getting more PCS than them. They had to skate bigger, closer. Even with good programs this things are big problem.

GF2445

Record Breaker
They have something. They work well together. I dont its wise for them to split. They need some fresh eyes to look at them and work with them. The fact that they have been dangling around the bottom half of the top 10 for the last 3 years and now beomg overtaken by madison and evan and with madison and zachary growing stronger, its starting to become a big worry that they mighht be left behind unless something changes.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I would like to see them go to Platov, who seemed to do very well with the Kerrs. However, they would have to change colleges.

Matilda

Medalist
I like the Shibs a lot, but their programs just have not impressed me these past couple of years. Not sure if splitting and finding new partners is the answer in this case, however. They would probably thrive better with a coach and choreographer who would challenge them with unique, innovative programs and who could make use of their sense of humor.

:
That being said, though I'm hardly a fan, I wish them luck. I think they are going to make it to the next Olympics. Aside from Chock/Bates, none of the US dance teams stand out. H/D's skating skills are not there. Hawayek/Baker has even less height difference, and Aldridge/Eaton is the team I can never understand.

I beg to differ! H/D improved in leaps and bounds this year and are already equal to the Shibs in PCS--despite Madison's hip injury. Teaming up with Zach was definitely the right choice for Madison. I hope she recovers fully and that they will skate lights out next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Poodlepal

On the Ice
They need to do a cute routine more than a sexy routine, I agree. Michael Jackson was a bad choice for them, the choreographer should be fired for picking that.

You know who I like? The Finnish team from the 90s that used to dress like hobos. A program like that might work, or a maybe a very classic, tasteful dance. But it will not work for them doing anything that is overtly sultry or seductive. It has nothing to do with their race, or even that they are brother and sister. It's just who they are. Some of us are cuter more than sexier.

slider11

Medalist
I agree that the Shibs need a new look. It should be interesting to see if they can take the Michael Jackson program to a higher place at Worlds- working off of Nationals rather than the Olympics. I agree that they are fun loving-particularly Alex. I think with the likely departure of Davis and White and Virtue and Moir, Marina will have more time to commit to them. Chock and Bates are pleasant but I don't see a strong future. I do like Weaver and Poje and Gillles and Poirier. Otherwise, this may be the end of the US ice dance chapter - for now. I wonder if either W/P or G/P might consider moving to Marina.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I do wonder whether the sibling factor will keep the Shibutanis from reaching that very top echelon, no matter how good their skating is... but on the other hand, I think if they were to find new partners at this stage, neither would be able to make it back up to their current level. They've skated together for so long and their skills are very well matched; it may be really really tough for them to find someone who suits them as well.

Being siblings probably does keep some teams from reaching the top echelon, as there have only been a small number over the past several decades that have been able to do so.

As ice dance coach Carol Lane said on CBC's commentary when The Shibs were skating, siblings are more restricted in what programs they can do because audiences aren't comfortable with brother/sister teams skating to romantic pieces, obviously. So as Lane said, they have to try different types of programs more suitable to siblings.

The Michael Jackson program starts off well, but seems to lose steam about halfway through.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Half way through at Olympics, Maia got her costume caught on Alex during a lift and it tore.

noskates

Record Breaker
Yes - and that's why halfway through their Olympic program they got unsettled.