Should the Shibutanis consider skating with other partners? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Should the Shibutanis consider skating with other partners?

Scovies

Final Flight
I agree with others in that they don't need to split up -- rather, they need to get a new coach and choreographer. For the last few years, I feel like they're being given programs that are too easy for their skill level and Marina has no idea what to do with them and gives them generic ballroom programs (and this year, an ill-advised pop number). Even if you stick with foxtrots and waltzes, there's plenty of room to make it interesting. If you're going to go that route, why not pick something like "Danse Macabre" and give the dance a Tim Burton-style theme?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I agree that the Shibs need a new look. It should be interesting to see if they can take the Michael Jackson program to a higher place at Worlds- working off of Nationals rather than the Olympics. I agree that they are fun loving-particularly Alex. I think with the likely departure of Davis and White and Virtue and Moir, Marina will have more time to commit to them. Chock and Bates are pleasant but I don't see a strong future. I do like Weaver and Poje and Gillles and Poirier. Otherwise, this may be the end of the US ice dance chapter - for now. I wonder if either W/P or G/P might consider moving to Marina.

Well, since W&P are already training in Michigan, if they want to go to Marina Z, they won't have far to go. ;) So far they seem happy with Krylova, but if Marina makes it known that she's open to taking on some new dance teams once V&M and D&W officially retire, W&P will have options, should they choose to explore them.

I don't know what G&P will decide down the road. Right now they are happy in Toronto with Carol Lane. Piper has gotten settled in Canada and Paul has been with Lane since his early days with Vanessa Crone. Thus far, he hasn't wanted to leave Lane or move away from his family, and both he and Piper are in the middle of college degrees. But you make a good point - if G&P want to raise their game in the next Olympic cycle, they may have to leave their comfort zone. Lane is a solid coach, but there's probably a limit as to how far she can take G&P.

Not as familiar with the training situation of C&B or The Shibs, but I'd say C&B are moving up pretty well considering they only started skating together around the time of G&P and H&D. If I remember correctly, C&B, G&P and H&D all formed partnerships within a short time of each other. C&B are already overtaking The Shibs and H&D, so they're off to a good start. I agree with you that C&B don't really have a distinctive character yet the way some of these other dance teams do, but that hasn't hurt them in the standings yet.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
:eek:

C&B have a very clear theatrical style-mainly because I think there hasn't been as theatrical a lady in dance since Krylova. This year Evan has caught up with Maddy quite a bit; he has more to do, but you can see where they are going from their SD this year.

Their skills as a couple need refining, but style, they have.

JayW

Final Flight
Back to the topic, should Shibutanis skate with other partners? My answer is yes!

There are only that much they can do as siblings. They can't do any intimate moves and gestures.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I do like Weaver and Poje and Gillles and Poirier. Otherwise, this may be the end of the US ice dance chapter - for now. I wonder if either W/P or G/P might consider moving to Marina.

I decided to watch CBC's coverage of Junior Worlds today and Carol Lane was on the commentary panel again. And apparently she will also be doing commentary for Senior Worlds next week instead of coaching G&P (they'll be with associate coach Juris R.). So I think you're right that G&P should consider a coaching change at the end of the season. Lane is a decent coach (and came up with the concept for the popular 'Hitchcock' FD) but if she's going to moonlight as a CBC commentator part of the year and miss important coaching events like Worlds, if I were a skater I would want the full-time attention of my head coach. Might be another reason they should consider a different training location where they can get some different input and be around higher-ranked dance teams. At the moment they are the top dance team in Toronto and aren't training with higher-ranked teams.

As for The Shibs, someone suggested on one of these threads that they might want to consider a different choreographer like Christopher Dean. Dean lives and works in Colorado for part of the year now (I think one of his kids lives in CO) and so he wouldn't be too far away from where The Shibs train in Michigan. They could certainly visit several times a year for choreography. That's what G&P do. Dean sometimes travels up to Toronto, but someone of his stature doesn't always travel to where the skaters are - sometimes they have to go to him. Over the past couple years G&P have sometimes combined Piper's visits home to her family in CO at times where Dean is working in Colorado Springs so that they can do choreography sessions at the same time. So maybe The Shibs could arrange a similar situation if Dean is interested.

BlackPack

Medalist
Speaking of which.... regardless of whether the couples are siblings or not, I always wondered what it was like to have a partner that you're not intimately involved touch you in your "sensitive" areas. Must be so weird. Like going to the gynecologist.

JayW

Final Flight
Speaking of which.... regardless of whether the couples are siblings or not, I always wondered what it was like to have a partner that you're not intimately involved touch you in your "sensitive" areas. Must be so weird. Like going to the gynecologist.

Oh my, gynecologist!!:rofl::rofl:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I don't understand the finer details of ice dance technicalities, but commentators have always praised the Shibs' smoothness and elegant lines, and excellent skating skills. I really like them and hope they can continue working together. Being ethnically Japanese (and cute!), they could embrace the whole Cool Japan and kawaii culture. As others have already said, they probably need to think outside the box and build on their unique strengths. Maybe use anime music (a lot of Studio Ghibli, for example, used by Takahiko Kozuka a few years ago, is lyrical and elegant as well as powerful) or music from The Mikado (which isn't authentically Japanese, but there's a lot of fun and humour in it). To be honest I really enjoy their classic ballroom/jazz numbers, but they could do so much more. Go Maia and Alex!

Big Deal

Final Flight
I do think Davis/White went pretty far without being emotionally involved and intimidated on(and off) ice.
They always have been a little bit cold to each other, they skated like siblings.
So it is NOT the main problem of the Shibutanis. The main problem that they are losing their technical strength instead of improving that.

Barb

Record Breaker
I do think Davis/White went pretty far without being emotionally involved and intimidated on(and off) ice.
They always have been a little bit cold to each other, they skated like siblings.
So it is NOT the main problem of the Shibutanis. The main problem that they are losing their technical strength instead of improving that.

I was thinking exactly the same :agree: They never seems romantically involved, still when they try it, they never got it and that never stopped to do it great. And there are a lot of programs not romantic themed great, like Nathalie and Fabian LP this season.

Matt K

On the Ice
This team is good in so many areas but not exceptional. Skating skills: good, but not exceptional. Ice coverage: needs improvement, and same with power IMO. Lines: inconclusive because they don't hold them very long especially when they are on a deep edge. Therefore, their footwork sequences look phoned in sometimes. Footwork good, not exceptional. Partnering is pretty good though. They can skate to the beat of the music but their is not much nuance when there is a tempo/sudden mood change, like the middle section of the MJ program this year. They do not have an extensive range of movement at all and so cannot make the choreography stand out. This is the biggest thing for me in Ice Dancing. I want to see dancers, not just tidy point accumulators. No soul. Ice Dancers usually get better at this aspect as they mature but I am not noticing Shibutanis getting better at this year after year.

I just don't see Shibutanis being as great dancers to transcend Zoueva's dullish choreography. They are good, very good, but not exceptional.
I would like them to go to someone else because their performances lately are getting more forgettable each time.

elif

Medalist
They need power, speed, ice coverage. Quiet edges doesn't mean good skating skills.

BlackPack

Medalist
I don't understand the finer details of ice dance technicalities, but commentators have always praised the Shibs' smoothness and elegant lines, and excellent skating skills. I really like them and hope they can continue working together. Being ethnically Japanese (and cute!), they could embrace the whole Cool Japan and kawaii culture. As others have already said, they probably need to think outside the box and build on their unique strengths. Maybe use anime music (a lot of Studio Ghibli, for example, used by Takahiko Kozuka a few years ago, is lyrical and elegant as well as powerful) or music from The Mikado (which isn't authentically Japanese, but there's a lot of fun and humour in it). To be honest I really enjoy their classic ballroom/jazz numbers, but they could do so much more. Go Maia and Alex!

I agree with your ideas. It would be refreshing. However, they can only do these themes for a season or 2 before they're overtaken by other couples. It might not be done well either. You can't do anime for the next 4 years. They constantly have to come up with something new and they couldn't even do it even for Sochi. I would suggest retirement, and not because I don't like them (I do). The field is too deep and Zoueva, whom they haven't left, is clueless about what to do with them. If they move to another coach, how much new energy can be infused? If they are sent to Linichuk, they will have the weirdest programs on earth, and will be summarily destroyed. They aren't the best ice dancers out there but certainly not the worst. It's a conundrum. If you're the worst, at least any effort/improvement will be noticed, but if you're above-average but not exceptional, you're just going to languish in the ranks. Do they want that? Don't they want to make their mark in the world in another way? Being so young, I wish them well.