The 1 Loop Jump in a jump combo | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The 1 Loop Jump in a jump combo

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Actually, maybe it's just because it's always a Salchow these days that I don't like it.

Oh, for the days when Plushy and Yags pushed themselves and the sport so far that Plushy threw in a 3A-half loop-3F combo...

cjuarez

Rinkside
Well if you are going to land on your left foot I guess it' called half loop so they can't do a loop and then a salchow or flip

jimini

On the Ice
I thought Tara Lipinski's half loop combos flowed pretty well since she did the 1/2 loop so quickly. It was sort of springy.

I think one of the reasons skaters often have "choppier" looking 1/2 loops is that you don't want too much height on the 1/2 loop (more about quickness and saving energy/momentum for the last jump), and you really need to land with your free leg behind your body. So for a Salchow entry on the third jump there's a pause while they swing in the free leg. But with a flip entry it would look a lot smoother since the toe would come down in that position pretty much.

sowcow

On the Ice
The 'amount/length of delay' either before or after the ½Lo usually is correlated to how strong (or not) the skater 'checked' the landing of the previous jump. The stronger the 'check', the more the rotation is stopped/slowed; and consequently the longer the delay needed to 'restart' the rotation (by means of the shoulders and/or the hips/free leg).

Abnormally long delays can occur before the ½Lo, or after the ½Lo; but rarely occur in both spots.

For example: 3F + ½Lo + 3S
  • If too strong a check on the landing of the 3F, then will be a long delay to 'restart' the rotation before the ½Lo + 3S portion.
  • If too strong a check after the landing of the ½Lo, then will be a long delay to 'restart' the rotation for the 3S.

hanca

Record Breaker
I would like to see someone do a full loop in this combo instead of doing the half loop. That would be tricky.

It is this combo and the 2A sequence that i dont fully like- if they are not done confidently, they dort of look like mistakes.
(on a side note what are peoples opinions on skaters who do 3T+2A instead of the more talked about 2A+3T?)

That would not be 'tricky', that would be impossible. All listed jumps land on the outside edge. If a skater want to have the last jump in the combination Salchow or flip, for those jumps the skater needs to be on the inside edge; that's why the skater does the half loop in between. Half look is a full revolution jump which lands on the inside edge, just ready to add the Salchow or flip. If someone did just whatever jump+ normal single loop, then the skater would exit the single loop on the outside edge and therefore would not be able to have the last jump in the combination Salchow or Flip, they would only be able to do loop or toe loop.

Re: 3T+2A instead of the more talked about 2A+3T, why would anyone want to do 3T+2A when 2A+3T brings more points? If you do 3T, you end up on back outside edge, so get forward to do the 2A would need a hop between those two jumps, which means that it would be a jump sequence and not jump combination and it would have value of only 80% of the jump value base. Whereas 2A+3T is a combination so it has the full value.

sowcow

On the Ice
...on a side note what are peoples opinions on skaters who do 3T+2A instead of the more talked about 2A+3T?

The former is an 'easier' jump sequence; the latter a jump combination (...and worth more I believe, although I'm not sure by how much).

sowcow

On the Ice
Re: 3T+2A instead of the more talked about 2A+3T, why would anyone want to do 3T+2A when 2A+3T brings more points? If you do 3T, you end up on back outside edge, so get forward to do the 2A would need a hop between those two jumps, which means that it would be a jump sequence and not jump combination and it would have value of only 80% of the jump value base. Whereas 2A+3T is a combination so it has the full value.

Thanks hanca! I was typing my last post before you posted that the "jump sequence ...[has a] value of only 80% of the jump value base."

The only thing I would add to your 3T + 2A sequence explanation is there is NO "need [for] a hop between those two jumps", as the skater can simply land the 3T and step forward into the 2A take-off (...still qualifies as a step sequence because of the 'step' forward before the 2nd jump).

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
That would not be 'tricky', that would be impossible. All listed jumps land on the outside edge. If a skater want to have the last jump in the combination Salchow or flip, for those jumps the skater needs to be on the inside edge; that's why the skater does the half loop in between. Half look is a full revolution jump which lands on the inside edge, just ready to add the Salchow or flip. If someone did just whatever jump+ normal single loop, then the skater would exit the single loop on the outside edge and therefore would not be able to have the last jump in the combination Salchow or Flip, they would only be able to do loop or toe loop.

Exactly you got it:)

Exactly you got it - the mechanics of the edge jump or salchow causes or needs half loop not full.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

The former is an 'easier' jump sequence; the latter a jump combination (...and worth more I believe, although I'm not sure by how much).

20 percent more; as the sequence is worth 80percent of the full value.

bmcc102

Rinkside
To be fair, Plushenko's amazing 3axel/half loop/3flip was really a 3axel/half loop/3LIP. ;) Still impressive, nonetheless.

In terms of ladies who I thought do half loop sequences/combinations well:
Tara
Sasha
Midori
Their half loops looked like actual jumps, done purposefully.

Half Loops that look like mistakes, and are sometimes not fully rotated:
Irina
Maria
Anna P.
Elena R.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I would like to see someone do a full loop in this combo instead of doing the half loop. That would be tricky.
That's not physically possible as a loop lands on a back outside edge and the 1/2 Lo (+1Lo in Senior level combos) lands on a back inside edge

cmk

Rinkside
Surya Bonaly's 3toe-half loop-3sal combo always looked good.

Last edited:

BlackPack

Medalist
3t-half loop-3sal may not look aesthetically pleasing, but it does add more difficulty than if the 2 triples were executed separately. It gives skaters an opportunity for more choreography and other elements.

3-3s are always exciting to watch, 4-3s are too scary. 4-3s have ruined too many hips.

usethis2

Medalist
I don't think I have ever seen this combo live on TV. Only saw a couple times on YouTube.

Can you do this under COP?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I don't think I have ever seen this combo live on TV. Only saw a couple times on YouTube.

Can you do this under COP?

Of course. Max and Jason are just two of the Americans doing it now. Both do 3Lz-half loop-3S.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Shoosh. Don't tell Plushy.

Uh, I don't think Plushy is the paradigm when it comes to maximizing points from his jumping passes, lol.

I also agree that the 1/2 loop looks awkward, and Jason Brown and Chan are the only ones that pull it off.

It's especially awkward when the women do it... especially some of them who have such a break into it.

Every time I hear Scott Hamilton yelling "And a 3S WITH NO SPEED!!!!" :laugh:

AC96

Rinkside
I find it baffling from a logistical point of view because if you notice, a lot of these skaters who have a triple+1Lo+3S also perform a 2A on its own. They could conceivably train a triple+2Lo+2Lo like Mao Asada or Kanako Murakami do and do the salchow on its own, which is presumably much easier, and lose a mere 0.2 points. (2A+1Lo = 3.8 points; 2Lo+2Lo = 3.6 points; the 3S and random triple remains the same in both situations). Furthermore, the positive GOE that you'd get would increase from a factor of 0.7 for the triple+1Lo+3S and 0.5 for the solo 2A to 0.7 for both the triple+2Lo+2Lo and solo 3S.

Tl;dr - it's smarter to do 2 double loops than train a half loop-salchow combination.

ivy

On the Ice
I think people use the harder triple - 1lo - 3Sal rather then the XX - 2 lo - 2 lo because it is harder - and helps with PCS scores etc. I wish they wouldn't consider it a 3 jump combo though, since the 1/2 loop is really only there to reset the take off edge for the sal or flip.

Anyone know why it's called a 1/2 loop when it does have a full revolution?

I do wish CoP would change the way it scores combos and sequences. Each should get it's own value, not just the total of the two jumps. A 3lz - 3T combo and a solo 3T should not be worth the same as a 3T x 3T and solo 3Lz