Canadian Entries at Worlds 2014? | Golden Skate

Canadian Entries at Worlds 2014?

Flaya

Match Penalty
Ha ha.

He's only 15, good for him!

I'm glad Chan is not going, the most overrated skater since at least the year 2000.

Hope Kevin will go to guarantee 2 spots for next year. I am not sure Elladj, Nam or Liam could do that. Or actually I am sure that they can't. :D I like all three of them though.

Poice

Final Flight
So Patrick is not going to Worlds then? I don't get it... I'm not big fan of him but I think he has great chance to win his 4th title (I have a strange feeling that Yuzuru will bomb it).

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Why do people think it's Chan who's not going? Couldn't Nam Nguyen be taking Reynolds' place instead? How do we know?

I've been hoping that World's would be a proper showdown... with Chan, Hanyu, Fernandez, Reynolds, Machida, Takahashi, Ten, etc all skating CLEAN... and we see who's left standing after THAT...! :-D I think they all (except Ten) have something to "prove" after the Olympics.

In which case it will be a bit of an anti-climax if Chan doesn't go :-/
I guess we'll know by Tuesday...

torontonian

Rinkside
Nam Nguyen likely is replacing Liam Firus, who was the third Canadian on the men's Olympics team. It does not look like Liam Firus has met the minimal TES score requirement to skate at the Senior Worlds this year.

centerpt1

On the Ice
I thought Balde was next in line? Did he not make the minimum? (but I could be , and probably am, wrong)

Becki

Medalist
Does that mean Nam will have to turn Senior next year? I think this kid needs at least an extra year in Juniors to upgrade this technical content before he competes with the "big guns".

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I thought Balde was next in line? Did he not make the minimum? (but I could be , and probably am, wrong)

He has the minimums. It could be that one of Patrick or Kevin is also not going. So it would be Nam, Balde and Chan/Reynolds.

ser22

On the Ice
CBC Sports:
Patrick Chan, Virtue and Moir, won't compete at worlds later this month, Skate Canada confirms.

ser22

On the Ice
Skate Canada announces ISU World Figure Skating Championship teams:
Senior Men’s
Kevin Reynolds, 23, Coquitlam, B.C.
Elladj Baldé, 23, Pierrefonds, Que.
Nam Nguyen, 15, Toronto, Ont.

Senior Women’s
Kaetlyn Osmond, 18, Marystown, Nfld. & Sherwood Park, Alta.
Gabrielle Daleman, 16, Newmarket, Ont.

Senior Pair
Meagan Duhamel, 28, Lively, Ont. & Eric Radford, 29, Balmertown, Ont.
Kirsten Moore-Towers, 21, St. Catharines, Ont. & Dylan Moscovitch, 29, Toronto, Ont.
Paige Lawrence, 24, Kennedy, Sask. & Rudi Swiegers, 26, Kipling, Sask.

Senior Ice Dance
Kaitlyn Weaver, 24, Waterloo, Ont. & Andrew Poje, 27, Waterloo, Ont.
Alexandra Paul, 22, Midhurst, Ont. & Mitchell Islam, 24, Barrie, Ont.
Piper Gilles, 22, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 22, Unionville, Ont.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Skate Canada announces ISU World Figure Skating Championship teams:
Senior Men’s
Kevin Reynolds, 23, Coquitlam, B.C.
Elladj Baldé, 23, Pierrefonds, Que.
Nam Nguyen, 15, Toronto, Ont.

Senior Women’s
Kaetlyn Osmond, 18, Marystown, Nfld. & Sherwood Park, Alta.
Gabrielle Daleman, 16, Newmarket, Ont.

Senior Pair
Meagan Duhamel, 28, Lively, Ont. & Eric Radford, 29, Balmertown, Ont.
Kirsten Moore-Towers, 21, St. Catharines, Ont. & Dylan Moscovitch, 29, Toronto, Ont.
Paige Lawrence, 24, Kennedy, Sask. & Rudi Swiegers, 26, Kipling, Sask.

Senior Ice Dance
Kaitlyn Weaver, 24, Waterloo, Ont. & Andrew Poje, 27, Waterloo, Ont.
Alexandra Paul, 22, Midhurst, Ont. & Mitchell Islam, 24, Barrie, Ont.
Piper Gilles, 22, Toronto, Ont. & Paul Poirier, 22, Unionville, Ont.

Based on this, it may be that Canada only gets two spots for men's next year, tops, without Chan.

Same with dance, it's likely they will only get two spots without V/M.

Canada likely to get 3 spots for pairs next year though, expecting top two entries to perform well.

Excited for Nam getting a spot! That's Orser's next prodigy! Maybe he'll coach the entire 2018 podium: Yuzu, Javi, Nam?

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
I'm not surprised that Chan isn't going since he had been hinting at it for the past few weeks, and I caught part of his appearance on Tout Le Monde En Parle on French CBC the other night where I think he said he was taking a year off to decide what he wants to do next.

As for Dance, it's not a total surprise that Virtue & Moir are not going, as that was kind of expected too. I'm hoping though that along with W&P, one of the other Dance teams will make it into the top 10 so that Canada can retain 3 spots for next year. I'm rooting for G&P to improve on their Worlds performance last year and their recent medal win at 4CC's with a Season's Best in Japan.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/3346/language/en-US/Default.aspx

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx

skatingfan4ever

"Our blade takes us in the most amazing places."
Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm not surprised that Chan isn't going since he had been hinting at it for the past few weeks, and I caught part of his appearance on Tout Le Monde En Parle on French CBC the other night where I think he said he was taking a year off to decide what he wants to do next.
Oh cool, you understand French! Those of us who participate in Patrick's Fan Fest thread are curious what the questions and responses were. Can you translate the Patrick parts? (Some of it is probably just "normal" media answers, but you never know with Patrick).

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
As for Dance, it's not a total surprise that Virtue & Moir are not going, as that was kind of expected too. I'm hoping though that along with W&P, one of the other Dance teams will make it into the top 10 so that Canada can retain 3 spots for next year. I'm rooting for G&P to improve on their Worlds performance last year and their recent medal win at 4CC's with a Season's Best in Japan.

http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/3346/language/en-US/Default.aspx

http://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/athletes/internationalassignments.aspx

He said he was taking a year off and that he wants to come back for the following seasons and compete at the 2018 Olympics.

Alvyne

On the Ice
Country
Canada
Oh cool, you understand French! Those of us who participate in Patrick's Fan Fest thread are curious what the questions and responses were. Can you translate the Patrick parts? (Some of it is probably just "normal" media answers, but you never know with Patrick).

He talked about his Olympic experience, Joannie's tweet (the co-host asked Joannie for a scoop about Patrick and apparently she said he was ticklish - which Patrick confirmed to be true), why he started skating (his hockey coach told his mom to put him in figure skating to learn the basics), how he learned how to speak French (his father grew up in Montreal and thought it was important for a Canadian to be bilingual).