Ashley Wagner's chances going forward? | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's chances going forward?

R.D.

Record Breaker
I wonder if they asked her permission to use that photo to sell their services.

^ actually, it would be the photo agency that took that shot (Getty Images or whomever).

flutzy13

On the Ice
It will not be a good quad for the US is Ashley is the best the US has to offer the next 4 years. It will be Rachael Flatt all over again meaning a decent skater who's fairly consistent with little chance for a World medal and who's getting older.

I mostly agree with this results wise although she's ten times the performer Flatt ever was. I also think she's good for US figure Skating. She gives a good interview, made an impression on the public with her meme in the K&C, is pretty and is more relatable than Gracie or the super young Polina. It's in their interest to not throw her down the river. Ashley in the mix, even if she's not the top US lady ever again, is valuable to the federation and I think they know this. Not saying that will get to her Pyeongchang but I think we'll be seeing and hearing about her for awhile.

desertskates

Medalist
I mostly agree with his results wise although she's ten times the performer Flatt ever was. I also think she's good for US figure Skating. She gives a good interview, made an impression on the public with her meme in the K&C and is more relatable than Gracie or the super young Polina

You hit the nail on the head there. She somebody most people would want to hang out with because she seems to have a good sense of humor. And I really wish she's lose the two footing, but she can sell a program like crazy.

Ophelia

Record Breaker
Say what you will about Wagner, but you gotta give props to the girl for being a gutsy fighter and working to improve on her weak areas.

Trewyn

Medalist
This showed up as one of those ads on Facebook....

http://imgur.com/X2LCqSN

So I guess she's getting famous.

Painful, because Ashley's very actively campaigning for no alcohol for -21s. But the meme did make her famous.

I'm biased, since I've been a fan long before even her national success, but I think she really does bring a lot of performance skills to the table. And her skating skills aren't terrible as people make them out - I mean she has a lot transitions, even difficult ones into and out of jumps. The fact that she looked a lot improved at Worlds and her spins seem faster now on SOI than they were in competition makes me hopeful that she *will* have slightly upped her level again for next season. It will be hard, but it could definitely be enough to stay relevant. I really hope she qualifies for the GPF again (I'm selfish here, it's in Barcelona, so I might attend :D ), gets back her national title (will be tough because Nationals can be her nemesis, but possible, as Gracie will have the hard position of defending) and finally medals at Worlds.

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
I hope Ashley can regain her national title and get some good international results going forward. With Yuna gone and Mao possibly gone, I've actually latched onto Ashley a bit. I love how she attacks her programs and has this edge to her, rather than being some pretty ice princess. She has her own style and she knows how to sell a routine. I really hope she's the leading US lady for the next quad (sorry, I find Gracie too pageanty. Polina has potential and I like what I saw at Worlds, but she's yet to get the fire that Ashley has).

I'm not enough of a tech expert to figure out what Ashley has to do to get there, but I wish her all the best. :)

I agree with you completely. Ashley has the personality and artistic range that Gracie and Polina have yet to show. Gracie is more technically capable than she is, but Gracie has a long way to go in terms of expression (she can't just keep up the whole ice-princess thing). I also look forward to seeing Polina in the future, since she needs to grow into her body and still looks a bit awkward/coltish. As far as I'm concerned, at this point Ashley is the most promising of the U.S. ladies and I wouldn't write her off for the next quadrennial.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
:laugh: She's almost 23 and all the top contenders now are pretty much teenagers (suppose Mao is not in the picture).

Well, we'll wait and see. Carolina won an Olympic medal at 27, so I won't write Ashley off just yet. Then again, I'm not invested in Team USA as a whole. I simply like Ashley the best of the current crop of girls and want her to do well.

skatefan17

On the Ice
I have to say, my heart has changed so much for Ashley. The way she moves, glides, and sells her performances on the ice is captivating. I just wish she had the technical merit to back her up, because she is superb everywhere else. She will have to make some good decisions if she ever wants to stand a fighting chance.

StylishDreaming

Rinkside
Wagner is a bit of a Suzuki for me. She can be brilliant and the best in her country when she's on, but has some technical issues and prone to a 3-3< that holds her back from being at the top, as well as not really credited by the judges PCS-wise.

Well-said. Both are beautiful skaters but occasionally struggle with their jumps. I just hope that Ashley can replicate the kind of career Akiko has had...to think that she turned 29 when she competed at Worlds last month is pretty amazing. People have been quick to point out that Ashley will be 26 by the time Pyeongchang rolls around and new talent will have emerged, but if she can keep up her health and work on some of her elements there's no reason she shouldn't make the Olympic team.

desertskates

Medalist
I'm usually not a big fan of seeing skaters recycle programs, but I think it would serve her well to keep the Pink Floyd short for next year. She seems to love it, and it would give her more time to focus on her elements rather than laying out 2 brand new programs. Maybe bring out a new costume for it, like a sparkly unitard.
Obviously, for the long, she just need to start fresh.

amc987

On the Ice
I'm usually not a big fan of seeing skaters recycle programs, but I think it would serve her well to keep the Pink Floyd short for next year. She seems to love it, and it would give her more time to focus on her elements rather than laying out 2 brand new programs. Maybe bring out a new costume for it, like a sparkly unitard.
Obviously, for the long, she just need to start fresh.

I wonder if a tango or a flamenco might be good for Ashley's free skate. She seems to do better when she's embodying a feisty character and programs with Latin music have that spice built in.

She could keep the Pink Floyd program or not. I loved it, but I think it might feel a bit tired the second time around. She does need something modern. Something like Carolina Kostner's short program in '08 would suit Ashley well, IMO.

Globetrotter

Medalist
Well, we'll wait and see. Carolina won an Olympic medal at 27, so I won't write Ashley off just yet. Then again, I'm not invested in Team USA as a whole. I simply like Ashley the best of the current crop of girls and want her to do well.

I also hope Wagner will do well. She has a refreshing attitude away from the prototypical American ice princess and a maturity that is lacking in the Russian jumping babes. Unfortunately, I think it will be a tall order with the judges. Tech wise, Wagner simply does not have the speed and deep edges and basic skating skills like Kostner or the commanding artistic presence of a Kim or Asada. Pushing the technical contents with a stable 3-3 is probably easier than improving her PCS, as I don't think her edge work and edge stability is quite at the top level.