Ashley Wagner's chances going forward? | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's chances going forward?

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
1)She skated a clean Short program at Skate america with a 3-3, Which she received 69+ for

2)She had clean skates with 3-2, No "" needed, Bompard and WTT come to mind.

3)Kostner passed 200 points, She might've bombed the FS but with her PCS and SP she's a way too tall tree to try and climb,
Asada did not bomb this competition,
And Lipnitskaya, The one who to you is a lesser choice than Radionova for this competition, Did not bomb either,
And Gold, Who you did give credit for as one of the tops, Is really not there yet.

4)It's not, A good 3-2 in the 2nd half of her SP could get her within reach, I still hope she gets a solid one though, it's possible.

5)Every competition is it's own island, You can't fully know what will happen, I bet you didn't feel coming in to 2012 Worlds that Leonova
would claim silver with her 3t-3t's, Unless you always felt she "blows the others away with her artistry, skating skills, jumps and spins".

Agreed.

Also Wagner did a clean SP at the GPF, just 4 months ago, with a clean 3-3. Got her over 68 points.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Assuming the junior ladies from Russia aren't 100% quite yet and are still developing, Ashley has a good shot at a bronze in worlds next year. This assumes that only Yulia and Gracie pass her (in whichever order you choose, they'll be battling it out next season). This also assumes that the following haven't improved: Pogo, Radionova, Proklova, Murakami, Li (she better get a move on) and / or Miyahara. Then again, let's note that Pogo did finish ahead of Ashley at Saitama and is the most logical at this point to surpass her. Beyond that, she has to fight off that entire squad in addition to keeping up with Yulia and Gracie, who I think will dominate the next quad a la Kwan/Slutskaya from 1998-2002.

What about Kostner? Hasn't she announced she will compete next season?

Also, you're forgetting Sotnikova. She's not retired no matter what the posters on GS want to think.

desertskates

Medalist
Ashley now has a stable coaching situation, and will no doubt make strong music choices at the beginning of the season and stick with them. I look for her to do quite well in '14-'15. On any given night, she can easily compete with the best of the best.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wagner is a bit of a Suzuki for me. She can be brilliant and the best in her country when she's on, but has some technical issues and prone to a 3-3< that holds her back from being at the top, as well as not really credited by the judges PCS-wise.

I think her choice of programs will be very telling as to how she wants to approach this season. She will want her National title back and her attitude leads me to believe she will put out a strong case on the GP, possibly even win a GP if she skates near her best.

anyanka

Record Breaker
What about Kostner? Hasn't she announced she will compete next season?

Also, you're forgetting Sotnikova. She's not retired no matter what the posters on GS want to think.

Oh yes, thank you for reminding me about Sotnikova. (Of all people to forget ... it was late when I posted!!) And I'm not sure that status of Caro or Mao at this point so I'm way behind. Thanks for that update!

tulosai

Record Breaker
I am sad to say I might be mistaken about Kostner. I thought she had said she was continuing but I appear to be out of date and her most recent answer is Maybe :cry:

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sad too. TBH I don't think she'll get the kind of love from the judges going forward so maybe its best if she just calls it quits. As sad as that may make some, including me, sometimes it's best to leave when people want you to stay and not the other way around. Ashley OTH I really believe can improve on her scores. She just simply put needs to skate like her Worlds FS....CONSISTENTLY

tulosai

Record Breaker
I'm sad too. TBH I don't think she'll get the kind of love from the judges going forward so maybe its best if she just calls it quits as sad as that is. Ashley OTH I really believe can improve on her scores. She just simply put needs to skate like her Worlds FS....CONSISTENTLY

To be honest though I don't care if the judges dump Kostner... or even if she herself starts to skate worse in a legitimate way... I'd be disappointed for her, but really, I just love seeing her skate and want more of it, whether or not she stays on top.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have so much respect for that opinion. I'm a firm believer in that skating is a reward itself. :clap:

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
I hope Ashley can regain her national title and get some good international results going forward. With Yuna gone and Mao possibly gone, I've actually latched onto Ashley a bit. I love how she attacks her programs and has this edge to her, rather than being some pretty ice princess. She has her own style and she knows how to sell a routine. I really hope she's the leading US lady for the next quad (sorry, I find Gracie too pageanty. Polina has potential and I like what I saw at Worlds, but she's yet to get the fire that Ashley has).

I'm not enough of a tech expert to figure out what Ashley has to do to get there, but I wish her all the best. :)

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I hope Ashley can regain her national title and get some good international results going forward. With Yuna gone and Mao possibly gone, I've actually latched onto Ashley a bit. I love how she attacks her programs and has this edge to her, rather than being some pretty ice princess. She has her own style and she knows how to sell a routine. I really hope she's the leading US lady for the next quad (sorry, I find Gracie too pageanty. Polina has potential and I like what I saw at Worlds, but she's yet to get the fire that Ashley has).

I'm not enough of a tech expert to figure out what Ashley has to do to get there, but I wish her all the best. :)
It will not be a good quad for the US is Ashley is the best the US has to offer the next 4 years. It will be Rachael Flatt all over again meaning a decent skater who's fairly consistent with little chance for a World medal and who's getting older.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Well, we'll wait and see. Carolina won an Olympic medal at 27, so I won't write Ashley off just yet. Then again, I'm not invested in Team USA as a whole. I simply like Ashley the best of the current crop of girls and want her to do well.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Lol, this is kinda awesome. Ashley's outspokenness and human reactions in the kiss-and-cry actually make me like her more.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This showed up as one of those ads on Facebook....

http://imgur.com/X2LCqSN

So I guess she's getting famous.

Hah amazing! That expression is everything.

I think people have this perception that figure skaters are supposed to be pristine and smiley and accept whatever the judges marks are, so when you get a defiant skater (a la "Stick It") who questions the judges, everyone loves it. :biggrin:

R.D.

Record Breaker
It will not be a good quad for the US is Ashley is the best the US has to offer the next 4 years. It will be Rachael Flatt all over again meaning a decent skater who's fairly consistent with little chance for a World medal and who's getting older.

Seems to me that's the career trajectory Wagner is heading towards. She has already peaked, and age will catch up to her where she is either forced out by injuries or is unable to remain competitive in the US. Meh. Very unlikely to make it to Korea.

At least she was able to ride the wave to a Oly bronze medal so she'll have that as her one major international piece of hardware.

You know, I'm just sorta getting bored with the whole thing...in more ways than one.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Wagner to me was always this eras version of Flatt for the U.S. Solid and very good, but never great, and not quite truly elite. Yes she had more success than Flatt in fairness- some grand prix wins, a 4CC's title, two grand prix final medals. However in terms of level of skating she was more or less the same. This quadrennial, especialy before this year which came up a notch, was not as strong or competitive as the 2008-2010 period Flatt peaked in. Wagner has a bit more spark and slightly better presentation, but probably was a weaker jumper than prime Flatt. It is worth noting at the 2010 nationals when both skated a clean LP Flatt beat Wagner by 8 points, and it is questionable Wagner has even improved more than 8 points worth in quality (I am not talking about comparing scores which naturally elevate over time) since then.

Kudos to her for filling the hole Flatt left for a steady and dependable leader for U.S women and keeping the seat warm until someone better (Gold and soon Edmunds) came along.

R.D.

Record Breaker
Wagner to me was always this eras version of Flatt for the U.S. Solid and very good, but never great, and not quite truly elite. Yes she had more success than Flatt in fairness- some grand prix wins, a 4CC's title, two grand prix final medals. However in terms of level of skating she was more or less the same. This quadrennial, especialy before this year which came up a notch, was not as strong or competitive as the 2008-2010 period Flatt peaked in. Wagner has a bit more spark and slightly better presentation, but probably was a weaker jumper than prime Flatt. It is worth noting at the 2010 nationals when both skated a clean LP Flatt beat Wagner by 8 points, and it is questionable Wagner has even improved more than 8 points worth in quality (I am not talking about comparing scores which naturally elevate over time) since then.

Kudos to her for filling the hole Flatt left for a steady and dependable leader for U.S women and keeping the seat warm until someone better (Gold and soon Edmunds) came along.

Yeah, pretty much that. Except that right now, Gold is just as much of a "seat-warmer" as Wagner was because Gold doesn't have any big success to speak of yet.

wake me up if it ever happens...