Ashley Wagner's chances going forward? | Page 7 | Golden Skate

Ashley Wagner's chances going forward?

NYscorp6

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Her triple flip triple loop was amazing back in 2007

Her 3F/3T was pretty good as well at the beginning of this season. Then she seemed to start losing confidence in her skating in general, then the crash at Nationals...

leafygreens

Final Flight
A 3/3 is not "needed" to get on the podium.

If someone has the best spins, best footwork, best PCS, and all of the Triples without a 3/3, they will be on the podium or even be a World Champion.

Given Ashley's abilities, the absolute best thing to do would be forget about the 3/3 in the LP. She needs to work on her basics, work on her spins, and get two programs that show her off as the most mature and interesting skater in the Ladies field (with CoP transitions).

Ashley herself has said that she hates spinning. Maybe if Ashley worked on her spins as hard as the elusive 3/3, she would get some extra points.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Ashley herself has said that she hates spinning. Maybe if Ashley worked on her spins as hard as the elusive 3/3, she would get some extra points.

She has pretty decent spins, but with improvement could only really pick up maybe 1-2 points on GOE, at best (she's not getting Lipnitskaia or Mao's GOE any time soon). At Worlds, she got level 4's on all of her spins in both programs.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Wagner 3/3 is unreliable anyways, either two-footed or UR
expect Edmunds to pass her as No.2 next season

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

I wouldn't expect anything of the sort,
The last thing you should expect at the moment is the USA ladies field to become ranked consistently,
In fact, One of the things you could bet on the most in that field is that Wagner, Though not of the absolute highest levels of
talent in the International field, Is mostly a trustworthy race horse, Will usually have a good competition and is a good 3 spot getter,

I find it hard to see her going through to 2018, But i hope she manages to steal a world medal a la Leonova in one of
the next events, It's the most she could hope for i guess, Unless she finds a way to take her programs\skills up a notch,
Which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
I wouldn't expect anything of the sort,
The last thing you should expect at the moment is the USA ladies field to become ranked consistently,
In fact, One of the things you could bet on the most in that field is that Wagner, Though not of the absolute highest levels of
talent in the International field, Is mostly a trustworthy race horse, Will usually have a good competition and is a good 3 spot getter,

I find it hard to see her going through to 2018, But i hope she manages to steal a world medal a la Leonova in one of
the next events, It's the most she could hope for i guess, Unless she finds a way to take her programs\skills up a notch,
Which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

she had her chance in 2012 and didnt milk on it enough
now many lades are capable of scoring 200+, and 3-3 is the norm

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

All it takes is a couple of those 200+ girls having one bad event and Wagner showing up with extra spirit,
She has executed the 3-3 before, But i'd offer that a better bet for her is backloading her SP and just serving the free well,
Now she knows she can pass the 130 mark.

Also, Regarding that, If Edmunds has a great GP season and good programs later this year,
I wouldn't put it past her to become the No.1 american next season,
But it's hard to predict that inconsistent field

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

200+ isn't exactly a fair representation since Worlds and Olympics inflated skaters' scores beyond believe to ridiculous undeserved personal bests.

In the regular season with regular scoring, Ashley tends to score 190+ which is enough to podium, if not win most events. And if she dumbed down her 3F+3T<< to a 3F+2T, she would have beaten Gold at Worlds. So a 3-3, while the norm, isn't absolutely critical if you're a well-rounded skater.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
All it takes is a couple of those 200+ girls having one bad event

Actually that happened at worlds and Ashley with one of her best outings (even considering her short program) wasnt even close to a medal.

While I agree sort of with Blades that a 3-3 is not neccessarily needed for a medal, it sure as heck is needed for Ashley who is in no way so superior in other areas to compensate.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
Actually that happened at worlds and Ashley with one of her best outings (even considering her short program) wasnt even close to a medal.

While I agree sort of with Blades that a 3-3 is not neccessarily needed for a medal, it sure as heck is needed for Ashley who is in no way so superior in other areas to compensate.

Only Kostner of the 200+ girls had a bad event (though a 77 SP :eek: ) And her 9.50 PCS tush is gone next season,

a 3-3 is not sure as hack needed,

If she hadn't got an under for her last Flip in the FS she would've about matched Lipnitskaya's score,

And the short program here was of the toughest ever(!), So i don't see it as a representing event,

Though with a clean 3-2 combo she could've beaten Pogs for that 6th place after.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Worth noting again....Ashley did not have a perfect program. Good, yes. Better than what she did previously at Nationals and Sochi? Yes. But not perfect.

Ashley was not completely clean. She had two URs. She lost 2.96 points in BV from those two jumping passes as well as some -GOE (1.41).

Had she had those two jumping passes clean, her base value would have been 59.69, which is actually close to a competitive BV (60-61 seems to be the standard).

Had she simply got the BV for those two jumping passes she would have gained an extra 4.37 points.

129.53 + 4.37 = 133.9. She would have been second in the FS and beat Anna P. and Gracie Gold for 4th place.

Which goes to show that Ashley's best strategy is indeed in execution. She has lost a lot of +GOE because she is not executing the programs fully. She needs to boost the +GOE and be consistent on her key jumps.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
She has never had a totally clean program when trying to include the 3-3 combo though. Her SP here wasnt bad and her LP here was maybe her best ever, since her few "clean" skates had no 3-3 combo or the difficulty she tried here. As for others faltering, well Kostner bombed the LP big time here, Mao actually had jumping errors on 5 passes in the LP, the Russians didnt really send their A team with Sotnikova out and Radianova not age eligible, Gold didnt skate well. So Wagner got that, and skated one of her best LPs and still wasnt even close to a medal.

A 3-3 is sure as heck needed for Wagner, and it has to be totally clean for her to even have a chance. Someone who doesnt need a 3-3 would have to be an exceptional skater who blows others away with her artistry, skating skills, jump quality, or spins, none of which Ashley does.

pamela

Rinkside
She has never had a totally clean program when trying to include the 3-3 combo though. Her SP here wasnt bad and her LP here was maybe her best ever, since her few "clean" skates had no 3-3 combo or the difficulty she tried here. As for others faltering, well Kostner bombed the LP big time here, Mao actually had jumping errors on 5 passes in the LP, the Russians didnt really send their A team with Sotnikova out and Radianova not age eligible, Gold didnt skate well. So Wagner got that, and skated one of her best LPs and still wasnt even close to a medal.

A 3-3 is sure as heck needed for Wagner, and it has to be totally clean for her to even have a chance. Someone who doesnt need a 3-3 would have to be an exceptional skater who blows others away with her artistry, skating skills, jump quality, or spins, none of which Ashley does.

How is Yulia part of the B team if she was second (?) at nationals and is the reining european champion?? @.@

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

1)She skated a clean Short program at Skate america with a 3-3, Which she received 69+ for

2)She had clean skates with 3-2, No "" needed, Bompard and WTT come to mind.

3)Kostner passed 200 points, She might've bombed the FS but with her PCS and SP she's a way too tall tree to try and climb,
Asada did not bomb this competition,
And Lipnitskaya, The one who to you is a lesser choice than Radionova for this competition, Did not bomb either,
And Gold, Who you did give credit for as one of the tops, Is really not there yet.

4)It's not, A good 3-2 in the 2nd half of her SP could get her within reach, I still hope she gets a solid one though, it's possible.

5)Every competition is it's own island, You can't fully know what will happen, I bet you didn't feel coming in to 2012 Worlds that Leonova
would claim silver with her 3t-3t's, Unless you always felt she "blows the others away with her artistry, skating skills, jumps and spins".

anyanka

Record Breaker
Assuming the junior ladies from Russia aren't 100% quite yet and are still developing, Ashley has a good shot at a bronze in worlds next year. This assumes that only Yulia and Gracie pass her (in whichever order you choose, they'll be battling it out next season). This also assumes that the following haven't improved: Pogo, Radionova, Proklova, Murakami, Li (she better get a move on) and / or Miyahara. Then again, let's note that Pogo did finish ahead of Ashley at Saitama and is the most logical at this point to surpass her. Beyond that, she has to fight off that entire squad in addition to keeping up with Yulia and Gracie, who I think will dominate the next quad a la Kwan/Slutskaya from 1998-2002.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Don't forget Park So-Youn!

Ah yes, assuming she continues to improve. She impressed me at worlds this year when I didn't expect much from her. She was clearly inspired by Yuna and the invigorating atmosphere in Saitama. Looking forward to seeing where her momentum will take her.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I was equally impressed by Ashley's FS and have a reborn faith in her. :yay: