Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's chances going forward?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    She has never had a totally clean program when trying to include the 3-3 combo though. Her SP here wasnt bad and her LP here was maybe her best ever, since her few "clean" skates had no 3-3 combo or the difficulty she tried here. As for others faltering, well Kostner bombed the LP big time here, Mao actually had jumping errors on 5 passes in the LP, the Russians didnt really send their A team with Sotnikova out and Radianova not age eligible, Gold didnt skate well. So Wagner got that, and skated one of her best LPs and still wasnt even close to a medal.

A 3-3 is sure as heck needed for Wagner, and it has to be totally clean for her to even have a chance. Someone who doesnt need a 3-3 would have to be an exceptional skater who blows others away with her artistry, skating skills, jump quality, or spins, none of which Ashley does.
    1)She skated a clean Short program at Skate america with a 3-3, Which she received 69+ for

2)She had clean skates with 3-2, No "" needed, Bompard and WTT come to mind.

3)Kostner passed 200 points, She might've bombed the FS but with her PCS and SP she's a way too tall tree to try and climb,
    Asada did not bomb this competition,
    And Lipnitskaya, The one who to you is a lesser choice than Radionova for this competition, Did not bomb either,
    And Gold, Who you did give credit for as one of the tops, Is really not there yet.

4)It's not, A good 3-2 in the 2nd half of her SP could get her within reach, I still hope she gets a solid one though, it's possible.

5)Every competition is it's own island, You can't fully know what will happen, I bet you didn't feel coming in to 2012 Worlds that Leonova
    would claim silver with her 3t-3t's, Unless you always felt she "blows the others away with her artistry, skating skills, jumps and spins".

Custom Title
    Assuming the junior ladies from Russia aren't 100% quite yet and are still developing, Ashley has a good shot at a bronze in worlds next year. This assumes that only Yulia and Gracie pass her (in whichever order you choose, they'll be battling it out next season). This also assumes that the following haven't improved: Pogo, Radionova, Proklova, Murakami, Li (she better get a move on) and / or Miyahara. Then again, let's note that Pogo did finish ahead of Ashley at Saitama and is the most logical at this point to surpass her. Beyond that, she has to fight off that entire squad in addition to keeping up with Yulia and Gracie, who I think will dominate the next quad a la Kwan/Slutskaya from 1998-2002.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Don't forget Park So-Youn!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    Don't forget Park So-Youn!
    Ah yes, assuming she continues to improve. She impressed me at worlds this year when I didn't expect much from her. She was clearly inspired by Yuna and the invigorating atmosphere in Saitama. Looking forward to seeing where her momentum will take her.

I was equally impressed by Ashley's FS and have a reborn faith in her.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Eladola View Post
    1)She skated a clean Short program at Skate america with a 3-3, Which she received 69+ for

2)She had clean skates with 3-2, No "" needed, Bompard and WTT come to mind.

3)Kostner passed 200 points, She might've bombed the FS but with her PCS and SP she's a way too tall tree to try and climb,
    Asada did not bomb this competition,
    And Lipnitskaya, The one who to you is a lesser choice than Radionova for this competition, Did not bomb either,
    And Gold, Who you did give credit for as one of the tops, Is really not there yet.

4)It's not, A good 3-2 in the 2nd half of her SP could get her within reach, I still hope she gets a solid one though, it's possible.

5)Every competition is it's own island, You can't fully know what will happen, I bet you didn't feel coming in to 2012 Worlds that Leonova
    would claim silver with her 3t-3t's, Unless you always felt she "blows the others away with her artistry, skating skills, jumps and spins".
    Agreed.

Also Wagner did a clean SP at the GPF, just 4 months ago, with a clean 3-3. Got her over 68 points.

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Assuming the junior ladies from Russia aren't 100% quite yet and are still developing, Ashley has a good shot at a bronze in worlds next year. This assumes that only Yulia and Gracie pass her (in whichever order you choose, they'll be battling it out next season). This also assumes that the following haven't improved: Pogo, Radionova, Proklova, Murakami, Li (she better get a move on) and / or Miyahara. Then again, let's note that Pogo did finish ahead of Ashley at Saitama and is the most logical at this point to surpass her. Beyond that, she has to fight off that entire squad in addition to keeping up with Yulia and Gracie, who I think will dominate the next quad a la Kwan/Slutskaya from 1998-2002.
    What about Kostner? Hasn't she announced she will compete next season?

Also, you're forgetting Sotnikova. She's not retired no matter what the posters on GS want to think.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Ashley now has a stable coaching situation, and will no doubt make strong music choices at the beginning of the season and stick with them. I look for her to do quite well in '14-'15. On any given night, she can easily compete with the best of the best.

Custom Title
    Wagner is a bit of a Suzuki for me. She can be brilliant and the best in her country when she's on, but has some technical issues and prone to a 3-3< that holds her back from being at the top, as well as not really credited by the judges PCS-wise.

I think her choice of programs will be very telling as to how she wants to approach this season. She will want her National title back and her attitude leads me to believe she will put out a strong case on the GP, possibly even win a GP if she skates near her best.

Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

What What!!! Where was I?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post

Also, you're forgetting Sotnikova. She's not retired no matter what the posters on GS want to think.
    Oh yes, thank you for reminding me about Sotnikova. (Of all people to forget ... it was late when I posted!!) And I'm not sure that status of Caro or Mao at this point so I'm way behind. Thanks for that update!

I am sad to say I might be mistaken about Kostner. I thought she had said she was continuing but I appear to be out of date and her most recent answer is Maybe

I'm sad too. TBH I don't think she'll get the kind of love from the judges going forward so maybe its best if she just calls it quits. As sad as that may make some, including me, sometimes it's best to leave when people want you to stay and not the other way around. Ashley OTH I really believe can improve on her scores. She just simply put needs to skate like her Worlds FS....CONSISTENTLY

Quote Originally Posted by Sam-Skwantch View Post
    I'm sad too. TBH I don't think she'll get the kind of love from the judges going forward so maybe its best if she just calls it quits as sad as that is. Ashley OTH I really believe can improve on her scores. She just simply put needs to skate like her Worlds FS....CONSISTENTLY
    To be honest though I don't care if the judges dump Kostner... or even if she herself starts to skate worse in a legitimate way... I'd be disappointed for her, but really, I just love seeing her skate and want more of it, whether or not she stays on top.

I have so much respect for that opinion. I'm a firm believer in that skating is a reward itself.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast