Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashley Wagner's chances going forward?

Custom Title
    I hope Ashley can regain her national title and get some good international results going forward. With Yuna gone and Mao possibly gone, I've actually latched onto Ashley a bit. I love how she attacks her programs and has this edge to her, rather than being some pretty ice princess. She has her own style and she knows how to sell a routine. I really hope she's the leading US lady for the next quad (sorry, I find Gracie too pageanty. Polina has potential and I like what I saw at Worlds, but she's yet to get the fire that Ashley has).

I'm not enough of a tech expert to figure out what Ashley has to do to get there, but I wish her all the best.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandpiper View Post
    I hope Ashley can regain her national title and get some good international results going forward. With Yuna gone and Mao possibly gone, I've actually latched onto Ashley a bit. I love how she attacks her programs and has this edge to her, rather than being some pretty ice princess. She has her own style and she knows how to sell a routine. I really hope she's the leading US lady for the next quad (sorry, I find Gracie too pageanty. Polina has potential and I like what I saw at Worlds, but she's yet to get the fire that Ashley has).

I'm not enough of a tech expert to figure out what Ashley has to do to get there, but I wish her all the best.
    It will not be a good quad for the US is Ashley is the best the US has to offer the next 4 years. It will be Rachael Flatt all over again meaning a decent skater who's fairly consistent with little chance for a World medal and who's getting older.

Custom Title
    Well, we'll wait and see. Carolina won an Olympic medal at 27, so I won't write Ashley off just yet. Then again, I'm not invested in Team USA as a whole. I simply like Ashley the best of the current crop of girls and want her to do well.

This showed up as one of those ads on Facebook....

http://imgur.com/X2LCqSN

So I guess she's getting famous.

Custom Title
    Lol, this is kinda awesome. Ashley's outspokenness and human reactions in the kiss-and-cry actually make me like her more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Unite View Post

Hah amazing! That expression is everything.

I think people have this perception that figure skaters are supposed to be pristine and smiley and accept whatever the judges marks are, so when you get a defiant skater (a la "Stick It") who questions the judges, everyone loves it.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    It will not be a good quad for the US is Ashley is the best the US has to offer the next 4 years. It will be Rachael Flatt all over again meaning a decent skater who's fairly consistent with little chance for a World medal and who's getting older.
    Seems to me that's the career trajectory Wagner is heading towards. She has already peaked, and age will catch up to her where she is either forced out by injuries or is unable to remain competitive in the US. Meh. Very unlikely to make it to Korea.

At least she was able to ride the wave to a Oly bronze medal so she'll have that as her one major international piece of hardware.

You know, I'm just sorta getting bored with the whole thing...in more ways than one.

Banned
    Wagner to me was always this eras version of Flatt for the U.S. Solid and very good, but never great, and not quite truly elite. Yes she had more success than Flatt in fairness- some grand prix wins, a 4CC's title, two grand prix final medals. However in terms of level of skating she was more or less the same. This quadrennial, especialy before this year which came up a notch, was not as strong or competitive as the 2008-2010 period Flatt peaked in. Wagner has a bit more spark and slightly better presentation, but probably was a weaker jumper than prime Flatt. It is worth noting at the 2010 nationals when both skated a clean LP Flatt beat Wagner by 8 points, and it is questionable Wagner has even improved more than 8 points worth in quality (I am not talking about comparing scores which naturally elevate over time) since then.

Kudos to her for filling the hole Flatt left for a steady and dependable leader for U.S women and keeping the seat warm until someone better (Gold and soon Edmunds) came along.

Down With It
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Wagner to me was always this eras version of Flatt for the U.S. Solid and very good, but never great, and not quite truly elite. Yes she had more success than Flatt in fairness- some grand prix wins, a 4CC's title, two grand prix final medals. However in terms of level of skating she was more or less the same. This quadrennial, especialy before this year which came up a notch, was not as strong or competitive as the 2008-2010 period Flatt peaked in. Wagner has a bit more spark and slightly better presentation, but probably was a weaker jumper than prime Flatt. It is worth noting at the 2010 nationals when both skated a clean LP Flatt beat Wagner by 8 points, and it is questionable Wagner has even improved more than 8 points worth in quality (I am not talking about comparing scores which naturally elevate over time) since then.

Kudos to her for filling the hole Flatt left for a steady and dependable leader for U.S women and keeping the seat warm until someone better (Gold and soon Edmunds) came along.
    Yeah, pretty much that. Except that right now, Gold is just as much of a "seat-warmer" as Wagner was because Gold doesn't have any big success to speak of yet.

wake me up if it ever happens...

Custom Title

I wonder if they asked her permission to use that photo to sell their services. Big no no if they didn't.

Down With It
    I wonder if they asked her permission to use that photo to sell their services.
    ^ actually, it would be the photo agency that took that shot (Getty Images or whomever).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I mostly agree with this results wise although she's ten times the performer Flatt ever was. I also think she's good for US figure Skating. She gives a good interview, made an impression on the public with her meme in the K&C, is pretty and is more relatable than Gracie or the super young Polina. It's in their interest to not throw her down the river. Ashley in the mix, even if she's not the top US lady ever again, is valuable to the federation and I think they know this. Not saying that will get to her Pyeongchang but I think we'll be seeing and hearing about her for awhile.

In search of a summer sport to love <3 desertskates's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flutzy13 View Post
    I mostly agree with his results wise although she's ten times the performer Flatt ever was. I also think she's good for US figure Skating. She gives a good interview, made an impression on the public with her meme in the K&C and is more relatable than Gracie or the super young Polina
    You hit the nail on the head there. She somebody most people would want to hang out with because she seems to have a good sense of humor. And I really wish she's lose the two footing, but she can sell a program like crazy.

Custom Title
    Say what you will about Wagner, but you gotta give props to the girl for being a gutsy fighter and working to improve on her weak areas.

Custom Title

Painful, because Ashley's very actively campaigning for no alcohol for -21s. But the meme did make her famous.

I'm biased, since I've been a fan long before even her national success, but I think she really does bring a lot of performance skills to the table. And her skating skills aren't terrible as people make them out - I mean she has a lot transitions, even difficult ones into and out of jumps. The fact that she looked a lot improved at Worlds and her spins seem faster now on SOI than they were in competition makes me hopeful that she *will* have slightly upped her level again for next season. It will be hard, but it could definitely be enough to stay relevant. I really hope she qualifies for the GPF again (I'm selfish here, it's in Barcelona, so I might attend :D ), gets back her national title (will be tough because Nationals can be her nemesis, but possible, as Gracie will have the hard position of defending) and finally medals at Worlds.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast