Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 63 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist
I'm personally still thinking they're baiting for a Meryl vs Charlie finale, especially of that footage of them together in his. They're raising the stakes and pushing the viewers to vote - I've been seeing a lot of the "Charlie's marked too harshly, I'll throw my votes to him" thing going on.

And besides, neither Maks nor Sharna have won. Having two pros face off who both want that victory would be an interesting angle.

I'm personally still thinking they're baiting for a Meryl vs Charlie finale, especially of that footage of them together in his. They're raising the stakes and pushing the viewers to vote - I've been seeing a lot of the "Charlie's marked too harshly, I'll throw my votes to him" thing going on.

And besides, neither Maks nor Sharna have won. Having two pros face off who both want that victory would be an interesting angle.

I sure hope you're the one who's right! I don't want either of our skaters to leave before the finale. At that point I'll be happy if either of them wins, though as a Maks fan I'd love to see him be champion for once, which means Meryl. This season especially one can see how intensely Maks takes this job. He seems to be giving it everything he has and then some. I get the feeling that Meryl is doing her utmost to help him win as well as for her own sake.

I'm happy to see that despite the sometimes lukewarm reaction from the judges to Charlie, both Charlie and Meryl are taking this opportunity to stretch themselves way beyond their comfort zone, and I'm sure that what they learn in terms of both movement and performance skills will go toward advancing their skating if they continue in ice dance. Especially after this experience, I hope they find a way to skate some more, whether competitively or in performance.

Manitou

Medalist

I am not sure that's the case, but I am confused about this show. I thought Amy was locked for the win, or at least the finale, but I am afraid she might be at the end of her capability. I hope it's not true, I really want her in the program, but you know, she has a serious obstacle to overcome and she is already pushing herself too hard. She may even announce next week to withdraw and I will not be surprised if that happens. She has all the votes she wants, but her body might be seriously saying "no".

So assuming Amy may not be able to hold on, who else is left? To me those two actresses are nobodies. Sorry. Yes, they dance well, but who are they? Are they even celebrities enough to be on the show? Any pro-dancer on DWTS is million times more celebrity quality than they are. So who else? Maybe Charlie and Meryl are the only ones who have any celebrity value. I don't know. The show is weird. The only reason I watch it are Charlie and Meryl and to me the rest is not even worth wasting time. Oh, sorry, Erin is spectacular! Crap, forgot about her! She shines!

noskates

Record Breaker
I think they're working toward a Charlie/Meryl final. No one else in that group is going to command the viewer base as those two. Also, for whatever reason, they're trying to humble Charlie. As for Meryl setting the tone of their ice dancing - isn't that what the woman is supposed to do? That argument didn't make sense to me. If you had the man overshadowing the woman I think it would be kind of odd. Your eye is automatically drawn to the woman. I used to concentrate on watching Ben Agosto because he was so darn good but got lost with Tanith's beauty, etc.

I think they would be hard put to have Amy in the finale. She isn't the best dancer by a long shot and is somewhat hampered by her disability. Derek's choreography is usually much more detailed than it has been this season as he's had to take her prosthetics into consideration. I believe Carrie Ann spoke to that last night when she called her for taking her feet off the floor. Well criminy - she can't FEEL her feet.

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
In fiction, there are seven basic plots: Overcoming the Monster; Rags to Riches; The Quest; Voyage and Return; Comedy; Tragedy; Rebirth (they are discussed in more detail here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Seven_Basic_Plots). Reality television pretty much follows the same formulas over and over in a similar fashion (NY Magazine's Vulture section has an amusing breakdown of reality shows by "type" via a Venn diagram here: http://www.vulture.com/2012/01/reailty-show-venn-diagram.html). It's typical of "contest" reality shows to have initial front-runners hit a rough patch midway through the competition. Builds that drama, y'know. So do manufactured rivalries.

buttermilk

On the Ice
She isn't the best dancer by a long shot and is somewhat hampered by her disability. Derek's choreography is usually much more detailed than it has been this season as he's had to take her prosthetics into consideration. I believe Carrie Ann spoke to that last night when she called her for taking her feet off the floor. Well criminy - she can't FEEL her feet.
What Carrie Ann really meant was: Derek, there was a ton of backlash against me when I failed to lower Amy's score due to the blatantly illegal lift in her waltz, so in my blog I made up the excuse that Amy couldn't feel whether her feet were on the floor, but we both know that's bs and I can't get away with doing it a third time so stop choreographing all the illegal lifts.

I think they would be hard put to have Amy in the finale. She isn't the best dancer by a long shot and is somewhat hampered by her disability. Derek's choreography is usually much more detailed than it has been this season as he's had to take her prosthetics into consideration. I believe Carrie Ann spoke to that last night when she called her for taking her feet off the floor. Well criminy - she can't FEEL her feet.

I think she could easily make the finale and win.... Even though she isn't my favorite to win, I do like her and empathize with her. However, for quite a few of her performances she wasn't really doing much dancing - Derek lifted and carried her quite a lot (not always though). But, I thought Carrie Ann's comments about her feet needing to be on the ground more and to be doing more dancing were spot on. As Carrie said, if Amy wins - it'd be better to win with people thinking she really tried to dance and was good vs. she was lifted from point A to point B and won based on her storyline.
However, after this week, I am wondering if she'll be able to go much farther.

She tweeted this earlier:
So, Looks like I have a rib out of place and my muscles are in spasm.I am being very proactive in healing up so I can continue this journey.

And here's an article from "People." (Some of this info is off, but what's new.) http://www.people.com/article/dancing-with-the-stars-amy-purdy-injury-update

desertskates

Medalist
I just read that Amy is has a rib out of place and back spasms.
I thought both Meryl and Charlie were awesome last night. For the individual programs, I personally preferred Charlie's dance, but I just liked it's style.
Len needs to lighten up, Bruno needs to calm the heck down and I thought Ricky was a fun guest judge :)

belladashwood

Rinkside
And yup, there are little mini team dances. From the interviews, you can already tell who is matched:

Charlie/Sharna and Candace/Mark
Amy/Derek and James/Peta
Meryl/Maks and Danica/Val.

I'm hoping Meryl and Danica get a paso. The only other dances I can think of that they both haven't done are jazz (pls no) and the waltz or viennese waltz.

caitie, I went through all the celebs left and check to see what same dances that the paired celebs haven't danced, so here's what I have figured out and so far it seems *fingers crossed* that both dances assigned to the celebs have to be unlearned dances.

We know for the first round: Meryl has Rumba, Charlie has Quickstep, Danica has Tango, James has Viennese Waltz, Amy has Argentine Tango, and Candace has Foxtrot.

Now here's where things get interesting:

Since Meryl & Maks are paired with Val & Danica, as you said these are the unlearned dances that neither Meryl nor Danica have done yet: Paso Doble, Viennese Waltz, Jazz, and Waltz. As long as either of them are NOT doing Jazz then I will be an extremely happy camper especially since Maks & Val have been primarily ballroom trained, but I do hope Meryl and Danica get Paso Doble since it would provide for some great side-by-side dancing for both women, but if not that one then next dance I'd want would be a Viennese Waltz, I love that one so much better than the slow Waltz and that could provide for very lovely side-by-side choreography in American Smooth style; so whatever they're given they'll kill it.

Next Charlie & Sharna are paired with Candace and Mark, so these are the unlearned dances that neither Charlie nor Candace has done yet: Salsa, Waltz, Swing, or Viennese Waltz. Both Charlie and Candace have burned through most of the regular Latin dances so there's not much left, so if they do a another Latin dance it'll be Salsa but if they're given another ballroom dance then it'll probably be Viennese Waltz. The only thing I hope for is that Candace keeps her nerves in check and that Charlie just has fun & doesn't worry about getting that perfect score that will happen when he doesn't focus on it.

Lastly, Amy & Derek are paired with James & Peta, so these are the unlearned dances that neither Amy nor James has done yet: Paso Doble & Jazz. This is gonna be really rough for Amy and James because the problem is that Amy has 4 regular Ballroom dances left, while James has one left and also Amy has burned through most of the regular Latin dances while James has a few more left. Also the problem with Amy's dancing is that Derek has her in hold all the time in their dances & her barely dancing by herself (the most I've seen of Amy dancing by herself was in her Salsa & Jive), so there's no way freakin' way they're doing Jazz since that style practically requires majority side-by-side dancing and nothing in hold. As long as it's the same unlearned dances, then Amy and James will have Paso Doble and with some portions of the Paso there's not always dancing in hold, so I suspect Derek will choreograph his portions with Amy similarily to how he did his & Maria Menounos Paso which was either keeping her in hold, posing & not having her dance so much; but I do think for the portion where Amy is going to have to dance with James, she's gonna have to be kept in hold, and I have no concerns for the sections that Peta will have choreographed for her and James; but the fact that Amy has to be hold majority of the dance is gonna make it harder for James

So that's my analysis on all this but I could be completely wrong, and I do hope that the producers have these Celebrity paired dances as being unlearned dances.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
WWhere in this long thread is the answer to my question of maks and meryl. Does person friendship mean they are dating? Also, does Maks travel with her to SOI dates? How are they doing this? Seems impossible to be that good....

WWhere in this long thread is the answer to my question of maks and meryl. Does person friendship mean they are dating? Also, does Maks travel with her to SOI dates? How are they doing this? Seems impossible to be that good....

To my knowledge, from every interview I have watched or read, Maks and Meryl are just friends. And if they're just friends, then no, they're not dating.
However, Meryl doesn't say much about her dating life in general. Around the Olympics however, she did speak about how she was dating a FS coach. However, more recently, she's been quiet about her personal life (not sure if her relationship status changed or if she's just being quieter).

And yes - Maks and Sharna travel with Meryl and Charlie. So, they're training for DWTS all over the country; and have super jam packed schedules. It's pretty easy to find interviews online where they talk about their traveling and schedule. But, if you go back 10 or so (maybe more, maybe less) pages here, then you can find links for articles.

EDIT: I hope this sort of helps you with what you were wondering... Normally I would search for all of the links to things, but, I'm half asleep.....so, this will have to do for now.

fleeting

Queen Anissina
Medalist

1) They've just said they're friends, as of now. But who knows at this point?
2) Sharna and Maks travel with Meryl and Charlie to all SOI dates.
3) They wake up super early. Interviews say they're regularly only getting 4 to 5 hours of sleep a night. They wake up, practice dance, do SOI rehersals (practicing their dances between skating whenever there is free time), and perform SOI while Maks and Sharna travel ahead if they're going to another SOI date. They fly home Sunday nights (which is often why their Sunday shows are earlier than the rest)/sometimes Monday mornings and go straight to blocking rehearsals and perform that night. I'd imagine they video chat with the costume designers or troupe members they want to use if they're out of town for the majority of the week.

caitie

Medalist
1) They've just said they're friends, as of now. But who knows at this point?

LOL, how classy do we want to keep this thread, because I did read some interesting gossip on tumblr! But it's from the paparazzi videos so it seems kind of invasive...

Interesting analysis, belladashwood! I think I saw Candice has a foxtrot next week and Charlie a quickstep, so IDK if they'd give them another ballroom dance for the same week. I hope they get swing instead of a salsa, personally.

And apparently dine together, too: http://pic.twitter.com/od9mUjhYUd (I think it's an adorable picture)

Yes, I agree!! :biggrin: I like all of their pics in the airports and stuff too, haha.
Cheesecake Factory yummy-ness! I think shortly after this Meryl did an interview about how she and Charlie eat and such....and they were all in a car together laughing because they'd just eaten at Cheesecake like the night before... (Sorry, I remember weird snippets from things...but never the things I really need to remember, lol.)

belladashwood

Rinkside
LOL, how classy do we want to keep this thread, because I did read some interesting gossip on tumblr! But it's from the paparazzi videos so it seems kind of invasive...

Interesting analysis, belladashwood! I think I saw Candice has a foxtrot next week and Charlie a quickstep, so IDK if they'd give them another ballroom dance for the same week. I hope they get swing instead of a salsa, personally.

As long as it's unlearned dances, if they're not getting another ballroom dance then I think they'll gonna give Salsa to Charlie and Candace because both Foxtrot and Quickstep can have the same upbeat & happy characterizations and Swing would be too similar in characterization to those two dances, with Salsa it's sexier and character-wise it's the complete opposite of Swing, Quickstep, & Foxtrot.

aftertherain

Record Breaker

Was it a neutral tumblr or a shipper one, because you really gotta know the difference when it comes to these things...

...Caitie, Now you've really heightened my curiosity! Since it's gossip, I don't think we're supposed to be posting it here probably via the rules of the site....but if there are videos, then it's like sourced gossip so maybe that's okay? But, you know what I definitely know is okay? You pm-ing me these links.... :eek:: ...please? :biggrin:

EDIT: aftertherain - good points! shipper threads/blogs/etc. can be absolute garbage

tulosai

Record Breaker
...Caitie, Now you've really heightened my curiosity! Since it's gossip, I don't think we're supposed to be posting it here probably via the rules of the site....but if there are videos, then it's like sourced gossip so maybe that's okay? But, you know what I definitely know is okay? You pm-ing me these links.... :eek:: ...please? :biggrin:

EDIT: aftertherain - good points! shipper threads/blogs/etc. can be absolute garbage

If it is actually sourced you can post it. A video, even one from paparazzi, is sourced to the best of my knowledge. So yes, as long as it doesn't involve nudity or break some other site rule it's fair game.

That said I agree you have to consider where you saw the videos... some of the shipper tumblers are literally entirely made up.