Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars! | Page 26 | Golden Skate

Davis and White competing on Dancing With the Stars!

noskates

Record Breaker
Well in defense of my opinion of Maks, I've watched this show since the beginning and he has always been self-destructive - arguing with the judges, making faces when he disagrees with their statements, etc. Did you notice when Eric was interviewing them after the dance that he yelled back at the judges that he wasn't being disrespectful? Sounds to me like he's been called on that! It's done him and his partner in on more than one occasion and I'm actually sorry that Meryl was partnered with him because of that. I also don't like the fact he keeps trying to kiss her neck or whatever and she appears (to me anyway) to be uncomfortable with that. That's all I'll say.

tulosai

Record Breaker
However, the judges also noted Meryl noding her head, i.e. she acknowledged the mistakes. And Meryl is competitive, she will keep Maks in line. I love how fun Meryl is being, I think she and Maks make a good pair, contrary to some here.

Let's face it, the judges are also being more harsh with Meryl and Charlie because of the whole ringer thing, i.e. they are being grade on a curve. I mean, come on! Bille Dee doesn't even know WHAT a dance hold is let alone what it means to break one! And TIMING? Seriously, did we hear them mention timing with any of the other couples?

ETA: Actually, they did mentioned timing with a few others. But it was like "a few timing issues, but it was good." as in with Meryl is was like "TIMING ISSUES, no 10 for you!!"

I mean, I danced competitively for years so I am more sensitive to it maybe, but Meryl did have major timing issues especially at the beginning- her and Maks were clearly out of sync, to the point where I was cringing and then they were again shortly after they moved down to the stage. I actually thought t his performance from them was weaker than last week's- I'd have given 9 last week relative to others anyway, and 8 this week. I LOVED their lifts though and also think M&M are a good pair.

I also, unlike many here, don't mind Billy Dee. At least he is enjoying it and giving his all. Seeing as I figured he, Diana, and Sean would go first, I don't mind if he is the third of them to go. In fact, I wouldn't mind him sticking around for one week after this one, and did throw a few more of my votes at him this week, but I won't again after this week because once you're in the final 8 (at least for me) it has to be more about dancing than effort/enjoyment.

slider11

Medalist
For me, Meryl is clearly being held to a higher standard and maybe that's fair considering her background. But I also wonder if Carrie Anne, in particular, is sorta anti-Maks and therefore Meryl is punished too. I think Meryl nodded because she is compliant, respectful person and was simply acknowledging that they are the judges and have the right to their opinion. But I will listen to tulosai and others who have trained dancing experience to say that maybe Meryl did have timing issues? At least Len's 9 was encouraging. I did not see Charlie getting 9s by Carrie Ann and Bruno. But maybe this is a little network strategy to keep audience members like me engaged and voting for who we think deserves it.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I mean, I danced competitively for years so I am more sensitive to it maybe, but Meryl did have major timing issues especially at the beginning- her and Maks were clearly out of sync, to the point where I was cringing and then they were again shortly after they moved down to the stage. I actually thought t his performance from them was weaker than last week's- I'd have given 9 last week relative to others anyway, and 8 this week. I LOVED their lifts though and also think M&M are a good pair.

I also, unlike many here, don't mind Billy Dee. At least he is enjoying it and giving his all. Seeing as I figured he, Diana, and Sean would go first, I don't mind if he is the third of them to go. In fact, I wouldn't mind him sticking around for one week after this one, and did throw a few more of my votes at him this week, but I won't again after this week because once you're in the final 8 (at least for me) it has to be more about dancing than effort/enjoyment.

Oh I don't dispute that Meryl had timing issues or that Charlie broke hold, just that they seem to be penalized for it more. I mean James and Peta got the same score for a dance that wasn't as good. But I suppose if this mean the ringer claims can be put to rest, I suppose that's fine.

I don't really have a problem with Billy Dee. I don't mind him staying another week or two.

So based on scores we have a good ideal of the groupings:

24-27 av
Charlie
Meryl
Amy
Danica

22-23
Candace
James
Cody

15-21
Drew
Nene
Billy Dee

Meryl and Charlie should be safe for a few more eliminations.

Eta: it looks like Meryl is getting a lot of votes to be switched to Derek...saw a few for Mark and Val.

Last edited:

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
Oh I don't dispute that Meryl had timing issues or that Charlie broke hold, just that they seem to be penalized for it more. I mean James and Peta got the same score for a dance that wasn't as good.

I swear Carrie Ann gives extra points for abs and turns a blind eye depending on how drool-worthy she thinks a guy is.

My favorite part of the night was seeing Meryl drag Maks by the ankle over to the judges.

From Olympia:

Remember how well Cloris Leachman did? She was around eighty at the time. And Florence Henderson, who was about the same age as Williams the year she competed, was very energetic and graceful. The problem is that Billy Dee has physical problems; it isn't just age.

Yes, I was thinking of them as well as Valerie Harper. What a trooper she was and I loved how kind and compassionate Tristan was with her.

ETA: When they mentioned the double elimination, even Billy's partner looked at him like she was certain he would be going home.

tulosai

Record Breaker
Eta: it looks like Meryl is getting a lot of votes to be switched to Derek...saw a few for Mark and Val.

Yup I think she will be switched to Derek. I also think this is a GOOD sign because many of the Derek fans (of which there are LEGIONS) must be voting for him to have her, which means they like her, and while I don't kid myself that this means they will vote for her and Maks against Derek and whoever when push comes to shove later, I do think it means they like watching her dance and will probably be throwing her some of their votes for at least a few more weeks... and alsso if they like her it is likely many ambivalent fans do as well.

I swear Carrie Ann gives extra points for abs and turns a blind eye depending on how drool-worthy she thinks a guy is.

My favorite part of the night was seeing Meryl drag Maks by the ankle over to the judges.

Yes me too! She is strong!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
where are you guys seeing the votes for the partner switch? :)

If you do a Twitter search for #DWTS (go to search.twitter.com), you'll see people mention their switch choices, either via a tweet listing the combo or that they voted on ABC's website for a certain combo.

PlaysInTheDirt

On the Ice
I'm curious if anyone here is voting to switch any of the pairs, and if so, who are switching from/to?

I'm not voting for a switch but if Julianne Hough was still on I'd vote to pair her with Charlie if they weren't partnered up initially.

mintx

On the Ice
The only way to vote is to tweet and my friends don't need to see me tweet DWTS. So no voting more me.

Procrastinator

On the Ice
Watched some of last night's dances and still don't understand why Meryl's scores are being deflated while others are being held up. She should be getting 9's, not 8's, and the others getting 8's should be getting 7's. Also, Charlie's dance lacked content last night and was slightly overscored.

BTW, anyone notice how incredibly short the dances are this season?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Watched some of last night's dances and still don't understand why Meryl's scores are being deflated while others are being held up. She should be getting 9's, not 8's, and the others getting 8's should be getting 7's. Also, Charlie's dance lacked content last night and was slightly overscored.

BTW, anyone notice how incredibly short the dances are this season?

I'd say Meryl's score was probably fine but that everyone else was overscored.

temp

Rinkside
Does anybody have a link to the complete event? I do not subscribe to cable TV, so cannot watch on abc.com. Thanks!

tulosai

Record Breaker
Does anybody have a link to the complete event? I do not subscribe to cable TV, so cannot watch on abc.com. Thanks!

Of course you can just not yet! No cable subscription is necessary to watch on abc.com if you give it I think 24 or 48 hours- not sure which. It is also available on hulu after the same period. If you feel you need to see it sooner I don't know where to turn but youtube, where the individual dances can all be found.

noskates

Record Breaker
I think Carrie Anne (at the age of 46) makes a fool of herself when she swoons over some young guy's abs....and then inflates his scores!!! But the other thing that I think is silly is the contrived competition between Candace and Danica. Really? How many years ago did this take place? Over a teenage boy when they were all in their early teens? Time to move on ladies! It doesn't even make a good back story at this point in time.

temp

Rinkside
Of course you can just not yet! No cable subscription is necessary to watch on abc.com if you give it I think 24 or 48 hours- not sure which. It is also available on hulu after the same period. If you feel you need to see it sooner I don't know where to turn but youtube, where the individual dances can all be found.

The episode is up on ABC.com already, but they require to verify cable subscription in order to watch it, which I do not have. It's currently available on hulu plus, which is not free, just the initial trial period is free. I'll wait to see if it's available on regular hulu later.

I worry about Amy if she is switched to another partner, unless it's Mark B. Any of the pros will choreograph to make sure that Amy can keep her balance, but I'm afraid that some of the other pros might tone down the complexity of the choreography to do this. Derek and Mark seem to have the ability to make their choreography look textured and complicated while allowing for the partner's needs. I may be jumping to conclusions, but this is something that gives me pause.