(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014 | Page 4 | Golden Skate

(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I heard that the Russian Fed will decide whether Adelina will go to Worlds after 10th March - after she returns from shows. Personally, i don't think she will go to Worlds. It's not enough time for preparation to that kind of competitions. So, you either prepare for Worlds or do so many shows. But the worst thing is that Anna should wait for the decision of RFed and the atmosphere of uncertainty is bad for effective preparation for such important competitions.

I wonder if Leonova was actually offered Worlds and turned it down for that reason..

Oh ok, thanks. I didn't know she hadn't. :disapp:

I haven't checked but I imagine that her last FS where she had reached the minimum score was two seasons ago. So it was enough for Worlds last year but not this year.

How come Pang & Edwards are listed as Canada's substitute in Ice Dance? I would have thought it would be Orford & Williams or Ralph & Hill.

http://www.isuresults.com/events/cat00028070.htm

No idea, it looks really strange to me as well.

Anastasi14

On the Ice
I wonder if Leonova was actually offered Worlds and turned it down for that reason..
It's a strange situation with Leonova. She was the first substitute to the OG, so i thought she should have been the first substitute for the Worlds too. And i think that it was very predictable that one Adelina or Julia won't go to Worlds, so Leonova should have been prepared. But she didn't show up at the Russian Cup final (Anna was there and performed good). I don't know what is wrong with Leonova, there is no information about injuries. Maybe her coach was so busy with his others.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
No idea, it looks really strange to me as well.

Yeah, that's why I thought I'd ask if anyone else knew what it was about.

Of course, it only matters in the unlikely event that one of the 3 ice dance teams gets injured before Worlds, but I found it odd that Canada's #7 team was chosen as the Substitute. Edwards & Pang only came out of Juniors within the last year. I would have thought Orford & Williams or Ralph & Hill would be next in line, since the latter 2 teams were at 4 Continents and did fairly well, and R&H have already been to a Worlds.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Well, I guess P&B didn't carry through with their announced retirement after their FD in Sochi...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Added a few names to the men's competition, as both Denis Ten and Brian Joubert will not be there. (Not sure if Brian has always intimated that he would not go to Worlds, but there it is.)

TMC

Record Breaker
@LynnRutherford's non-official answer to basically the same question makes sense to me:
I believe USFS tries to give skaters opportunity to maintain ISU points, rankings, exposure. Aaron 7th in world last season.
2:12 PM - 22 Feb 2014
https://twitter.com/LynnRutherford/status/437349262901657600

USFS never has given and presumably never will give an official comment on the matter.

By this rationale, the team should be Max and Jason.

Jeremy needs neither ISU points nor rankings nor exposure as he's retiring anyway. Jason & Max need all these things, as well as that 3rd spot for next year...

ice coverage

Record Breaker
By this rationale, the team should be Max and Jason.

Jeremy needs neither ISU points nor rankings nor exposure as he's retiring anyway. Jason & Max need all these things, as well as that 3rd spot for next year...

According to other GS members, US Figure Skating has a rule that the national champion automatically is assigned to Worlds.

(I have no reason to believe otherwise, although I have never looked up the official language.)

TMC

Record Breaker
According to other GS members, US Figure Skating has a rule that the national champion automatically is assigned to Worlds.

(I have no reason to believe otherwise, although I have never looked up the official language.)

I know...but it's too bad for the kids. Right now, Jeremy is doing this for himself and himself only, while if he retired he'd do a favour for the young 'uns (allowing them that exposure and those points) and open a door for three spots next year (Jason & Max both are more likely to place in top ten).

I don't dislike Jeremy in any way shape or form & really hope he'll do well, but it's very unlikely. For this reason, I'd love to see him leave on a high note after a great FS in Sochi. I really don't want to see another implosion, I'd feel bad for him AND for the up-and-coming skaters who would be affected by it.... If he gets awful scores, it'll be sad to think that he'll look back to his last competition and cringe instead of smiling. Right now, I think he has every reason to smile looking back at his last performance :)

Perhaps we could merge both worlds entries threads?

Yes, it's in the USFS' rules.

I think Abbott should not even attempt the quad and focus on skating two clean programs. If he does all his triples, he will place very well and his 4toe is so inconsistent it's not worth the risk.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Done. I would have merged these threads earlier, except that I've been on the road, and I hesitate to do a merge on a tablet while bouncing over ruts in a car-incorrectly-done merges can't be undone easily.

TMC

Record Breaker
I think Abbott should not even attempt the quad and focus on skating two clean programs. If he does all his triples, he will place very well and his 4toe is so inconsistent it's not worth the risk.

Agree. Would love to see him do a nice clean program without a quad but with confidence & grace! The risk is too great, and as we saw in Sochi, he can rack up the points even without the quad.

katymay

Medalist
I hope Mirai is training...I have a sneaky suspicion that she will be subbing for Ashley. (who seems to be busy these days doing everything except skating....not that I blame her.)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I hope Mirai is training...I have a sneaky suspicion that she will be subbing for Ashley. (who seems to be busy these days doing everything except skating....not that I blame her.)

Disagree. Although Wagner has had some extra post-Sochi visibility, I would not assume that she has been neglecting her training.
The morning after the Oscars, Rippon and she were at the rink as usual, according to IceNetwork. Living in southern California means that Wagner also could appear on Arsenio, for example, without missing a beat.
I would think that Wagner is as hungry as ever for a World medal, and would not squander any opportunity to give it her best shot.

(As for Nagasu, seems that she was/is visiting Colorado Springs this week -- for training purposes, I would guess.)

sisinka

Medalist
bleu_idealist said:

It's a strange situation with Leonova. She was the first substitute to the OG, so i thought she should have been the first substitute for the Worlds too. And i think that it was very predictable that one Adelina or Julia won't go to Worlds, so Leonova should have been prepared. But she didn't show up at the Russian Cup final (Anna was there and performed good). I don't know what is wrong with Leonova, there is no information about injuries. Maybe her coach was so busy with his others.

Piseev said that they need to work on another Olympic cycle and Pogorilaya was participating at Grand Prix Final. So Leonova didn't get any chance at all. The Russian Federation once again focus on kids and shoot senior ladies. Very wise indeed (especially in moment when all those kids start to face such problems with grown-up body like Tukhtamysheva and will have to learn a totally new jumping technique to get triple jumps back with new body, which will take at least two seasons).