(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014 | Page 9 | Golden Skate

(The Ever-Changing) Entry List Worlds 2014

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
She has never planned to do Worlds and Sochi was supposed to be her last competition, IIRC.

You are right in that bowing out at the Olympics was always Yun-A's plan. But I thought that the controversy over the results at Sochi might have driven her on to do Worlds to prove a point.

This is my personal opinion, but I don't think she will be happy to be bowing out without winning in the process.

South Korea has 3 spots for Worlds this year.

Oh! I didn't realise that. I thought they just had the 2.

All the more reason for Yun-A going, then! I'm surprised that the Korean Federation is letting one of their 3 slots go to waste when they have enough good skaters to fill them!

Because, let's face it, if Yun-A is there, Korea will have more of a chance of keeping all the slots than if she isn't. The youngsters they are sending are good and have a lot of potential, but they are not quite good enough to get near the Top 10 just yet!

He's been struggling with injuries.

And yeah, I know about Takahashi's injury woes. But after his performance at Sochi (OK, so it wasn't the podium his fans were hoping for. But 6th is still pretty good, especially considering his problems in recent months), I hoped he might have been sufficiently fit to mount a podium challenge this time.

But, as I said, Japan still has a VERY good Men's team! So, they might still get one or even 2 guys on the podium in Saitama.

CaroLiza_fan

jaylee

Medalist
You are right in that bowing out at the Olympics was always Yun-A's plan. But I thought that the controversy over the results at Sochi might have driven her on to do Worlds to prove a point.

This is my personal opinion, but I don't think she will be happy to be bowing out without winning in the process.

You already admitted you don't like her, and it's obvious you don't know her. Yuna always emphasized performance over the placement, and was happy that she skated cleanly in Sochi. She doesn't need to go to Worlds to prove a point since she did that in Sochi.

Yuna has repeatedly stayed out of the controversy.

Oh! I didn't realise that. I thought they just had the 2.

All the more reason for Yun-A going, then! I'm surprised that the Korean Federation is letting one of their 3 slots go to waste when they have enough good skaters to fill them!

They don't have another eligible skater who has met the TES minimum requirements.

Because, let's face it, if Yun-A is there, Korea will have more of a chance of keeping all the slots than if she isn't. The youngsters they are sending are good and have a lot of potential, but they are not quite good enough to get near the Top 10 just yet!

Korea would lose spots anyway if Yuna went, since keeping three spots depends on the placements of the top 2 skaters, and it would be difficult for either Hae-Jin or So-Youn to hit top 12.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
You already admitted you don't like her, and it's obvious you don't know her. Yuna always emphasized performance over the placement, and was happy that she skated cleanly in Sochi. She doesn't need to go to Worlds to prove a point since she did that in Sochi.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean my previous comment to be a dig towards Yun-A. Anything but! I was just thinking along the lines that every sportsperson that is as successful as she has been would prefer to bow out as a winner.

And any sportsperson (whatever their level of success) certainly wouldn't want to bow out at an event where people are questioning the results. Admittedly, it isn't Yun-A's results they are questioning, but it's still bound to be frustrating that this is overshadowing her final performance.

Yuna has repeatedly stayed out of the controversy.

Although I may not be a fan, I do admire the way Yun-A has been so dignified in staying out of all the controversy.

OK, so I have also been staying out of it as best as I can (I have only made one post about the issue, and that was basically just to say that I don't see what all the fuss was about, because everybody in the final group was over-scored). But the difference is that it does not directly affect me! ;) :biggrin:

Yun-A's reaction (or, rather, lack whereof) is a credit to her. And it has let me see a totally different side to her.

They don't have another eligible skater who has met the TES minimum requirements.

And that is why I was amazed that Yun-A wasn't persuaded by her Federation to go, as there was nobody else to fill the third slot.

Korea would lose spots anyway if Yuna went, since keeping three spots depends on the placements of the top 2 skaters, and it would be difficult for either Hae-Jin or So-Youn to hit top 12.

I could actually write the same sentence I wrote in reply to the last quote again here! ;) :biggrin:

But, at least if Yun-A was there as well, she would undoubtedly get into the Top 3. And although the third slot would undoubtedly be lost, they might have some chance holding onto the second slot.

But hey. Yun-A is not going to Saitama, so none of this really matters! ;)

CaroLiza_fan

jaylee

Medalist
I'm sorry. I didn't mean my previous comment to be a dig towards Yun-A. Anything but! I was just thinking along the lines that every sportsperson that is as successful as she has been would prefer to bow out as a winner.

Okay, thanks CaroLiza_fan. We're cool. :)

Sadly, there aren't very many perfectly happy endings in FS. Who gets to end their career on a golden note? Michelle Kwan had one of the worst endings to her career ever. Sasha Cohen had kind of a sad ending too--disappointing performances at 2006 Olympics, Worlds, and 2010 Nationals. Sarah Hughes? Naw. Irina Slutskaya? Not really, she wasn't happy with the bronze in Torino. Shizuka Arakawa? Yes, she ended on a happy note, but boy, did she have a lot of ups and downs in her career. Miki Ando? An inspiring comeback but not the most perfect of endings.

I'd say all things considered, Yuna got a great ending to her career--she ended up with another Olympic medal and two memorable clean performances. That will endure, no matter what the controversy.

Anyway, back to Worlds--the Korean fed is always going to have a better chance at securing spots with Yuna than without, so better that they start learning how to get spots without her now. They have 4 years to prepare for 2018 Olympics.

Flaya

Match Penalty
Disappointed with only 33 ladies and 32 men competing, horrible!

The TES scores must be decreased, it looks more like Grand Prix Final and not Worlds!

I like the line-ups though.

After having thought about that, Sotnikova should have competed. This could have been her chance for a medal at Worlds or even winning it with Mao being inconsistent.

Imagine, Yulia, A. Pogorilaya plus Radionova and the two other other top 3 girls from Junior Worlds, Sotnikova might not be able to make national team next year. ;)

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

The TES scores must be decreased, it looks more like Grand Prix Final and not Worlds!

After having thought about that, Sotnikova should have competed. This could have been her chance for a medal at Worlds or even winning it with Mao being inconsistent.

Imagine, Yulia, A. Pogorilaya plus Radionova and the two other other top 3 girls from Junior Worlds, Sotnikova might not be able to make national team next year. ;)

When was the last time an Olympic champion who didn't retire didn't make their national world team? Has it ever happened? Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering, no insult to Sotnikova. IIRC, Sarah Hughes made the world team the year after her Olympic win but finished out of the medals.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

When was the last time an Olympic champion who didn't retire didn't make their national world team? Has it ever happened? Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering, no insult to Sotnikova. IIRC, Sarah Hughes made the world team the year after her Olympic win but finished out of the medals.

For what it's worth, 2/3 of the medalists at Jr. Worlds. are too young, along with Proklova and Sotskova. So Sotnikova's only additional competition is Radionova.

As for an OGM not making their world team...i'm honestly not sure if that's ever happened.

Flaya

Match Penalty
For what it's worth, 2/3 of the medalists at Jr. Worlds. are too young, along with Proklova and Sotskova. So Sotnikova's only additional competition is Radionova.

As for an OGM not making their world team...i'm honestly not sure if that's ever happened.

You have a point, but take Radionova and Lipnitskaya if there are only 2 spots available for Russia next year and we are not even discussing Pogorilaya, Liza T. or A. Leonova.

All I'm saying is that Sotnikova could end up, let's say, 5th at Russian championships. And Proklova/Sotskova are not going anywhere in the future either. ;)

Anastasi14

On the Ice
You have a point, but take Radionova and Lipnitskaya if there are only 2 spots available for Russia next year and we are not even discussing Pogorilaya, Liza T. or A. Leonova.

All I'm saying is that Sotnikova could end up, let's say, 5th at Russian championships. And Proklova/Sotskova are not going anywhere in the future either. ;)
First of all we don't know how Radionova will deal with puberty and growth. I think she's already grew up a little bit (it was visible at the Junior Worlds), and her jumps were lower comparing to the beginning of the season. Lipnitskaya will also deal with the body changes. So, who knows.

Secondly, no matter which results will be at Russian Nationals 2015. If Russian Federation wants someone to be in the team they will have dozens explanations why exactly this person should go to Euros, Worlds, etc. regardless of the results. They always can have an additional closed control skates. How convenient. And of course the name of the skating club and coach play a big role. So, i think if Adelina wants to go she will go.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland

All I'm saying is that Sotnikova could end up, let's say, 5th at Russian championships.

Impossible, Adelina is 4-times National champion.

Erm, can I just remind you that my beloved Liza was reigning champion going into this year's Russian Nationals. How many times has Liza been on the podium in Russian Nationals over the years? And, er, where did she finish this year (having skated better than she has in ages)...?

If others skate better than you on the day, it doesn't matter if you're a 5-time champion or regular podium finisher. You might end up lower down the results than expected.

Anyway, I was just making my predictions for the final round of the Predictions Game (If you want to join in, see this thread), and I noticed some more things.

Where is Elene Gedevanishvilli?! :eek: I hope she hasn't retired already! We need her to stick around until Nikol Gosviani is allowed to compete for Georgia...

Also, who is Netta SCHREIBER, and why has she been chosen to represent Israel? I was fully expecting Polina S to get the Israeli spot.

And while we are on the subject of Israeli entries, why are Andrea DAVIDOVICH / Evgeni KRASNOPOLSKI not competing in the Pairs? It's a shame they're not at Worlds, because they did really well at the Olympics. (I had them in my Top 15 Predictions for Olympics, and they finished 15th, so that is why I noticed them missing now)

Oh, I can't wait for it to kick off!

Good luck everybody!

CaroLiza_fan

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
They have split, both have profiles on IPS now.

Oh, I didn't hear that.

With fear of repeating myself, it's a real shame because they were doing really well together, expecially considering they had not been together too long.

I just found an interview with Andrea on Absolute Skating, and by the sounds of things she was as shocked by the split as the rest of us.

So, I don't know what's behind it. When I read the story, my first thought was "Aha! Evgeniy's getting rid of Andrea because he's got somebody else lined up!" But, if he's on Ice Partner Search, then that's clearly not the case (unless it's a smokescreen...)

Whatever the story, it seems a very ruthless way to end what was a VERY promising partnership.

Good luck in finding a new partner Andrea!

CaroLiza_fan

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who would want to team with a guy who ends a partnership so abruptly? His results were blah until he teamed with Andrea, so it's not as if he's the most talented pairs skater out there. He might be the most delusional, though!

Who would want to team with a guy who ends a partnership so abruptly? His results were blah until he teamed with Andrea, so it's not as if he's the most talented pairs skater out there. He might be the most delusional, though!

That's only her side of the story, though.