What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently? | Golden Skate

What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently?

wootie

Match Penalty
What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently?

Ranking

1. Adelina Sotnikova's "Win" in Sochi

2. Patrick Chan's "Win" at the 2012 World Championships

What are your thoughts on skaters who most likely didn't deserve their gold medals?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never mind!!!

Last edited:

Matt K

On the Ice
Chan's 2013 LP - although to be fair, he did win due to the strength of the SP and was actually placed below Denis Ten in the LP.
Sotnikova 2014 LP (Sochi)

Davis/White- 2012 GPF, 2013 GPF SD & FD. 2014 SD & FD (PCS in FD). Sadly, after a few tight (& questionable wins), the judges saw this as momentum and put them ahead even with mistakes (2013 GPF). And the train started moving along from there. :cry:

evangeline

Record Breaker
-Sonja Henie's "win" at the 1936 Olympics
-Sale/Pelletier's "win" at the 2001 World Championships
-Oksana Baiul's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
-Gordeeva/Grinkovs "win" at the 1994 Olympics
-Grishuk/Platov's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
-Patrick Chan's "wins" at the 2012 and 2013 World Championships
-Ulrich Salchow's "win" at the 1902 World Championships

THE DEAD HORSES WILL NEVER STOP GETTING BEATEN!!

(sigh)

RiceSkate

Rinkside
Virtue and Moir 2010 olympics and worlds 2012 worlds and 2014 olympics (the Russians should have been ahead of them)

evangeline

Record Breaker
Virtue and Moir 2010 olympics and worlds 2012 worlds and 2014 olympics (the Russians should have been ahead of them)

I agree. I would also like to add:

Patrick Chan, 2011 Worlds
Volosozhar/Trankov, 2013 Worlds
Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 Worlds
Alexei Yagudin, 2002 Olympics
Michelle Kwan, 2003 Worlds
Yu-Na Kim, 2010 Olympics
Shen/Zhao, 2003 Worlds

WeakAnkles

Record Breaker
-Sonja Henie's "win" at the 1936 Olympics
-Sale/Pelletier's "win" at the 2001 World Championships
-Oksana Baiul's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
-Gordeeva/Grinkovs "win" at the 1994 Olympics
-Grishuk/Platov's "win" at the 1994 Olympics
-Patrick Chan's "wins" at the 2012 and 2013 World Championships
-Ulrich Salchow's "win" at the 1902 World Championships

THE DEAD HORSES WILL NEVER STOP GETTING BEATEN!!

(sigh)

Add me to that sigh.

What did that song say? Oh yeah. LET IT GO.

:)

amc987

On the Ice
I agree. I would also like to add:

Patrick Chan, 2011 Worlds
Volosozhar/Trankov, 2013 Worlds
Daisuke Takahashi, 2010 Worlds
Alexei Yagudin, 2002 Olympics
Michelle Kwan, 2003 Worlds
Yu-Na Kim, 2010 Olympics
Shen/Zhao, 2003 Worlds

Some of these are legendary performances. Chan, I believe, skated 2 clean programs at 2011 Worlds. Ditto Kim in 2010. Those are widely viewed as the best performances in each skater's career. Kwan in '03, V/T in '13, and Yagudin in '02 were also clean. What was sketchy about those wins? :confused:

Also isn't 2003 peak Shen/Zhao?

gmyers

Record Breaker
Some of these are legendary performances. Chan, I believe, skated 2 clean programs at 2011 Worlds. Ditto Kim in 2010. Those are widely viewed as the best performances in each skater's career. Kwan in '03, V/T in '13, and Yagudin in '02 were also clean. What was sketchy about those wins? :confused:

These programs greatness demanded investigations of steroid use

AC96

Rinkside

I believe OP was being facetious.

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker

It's pretty obvious he\she is making fun of someone else post claiming some of V\M great wins were questionable to anyone,

Personally i'd only go with 2010 Olympics as something that would kinda make sense as controversial, 'Cose of home field, But it really wasn't.

AC96

Rinkside
I personally felt D/W should have at least won the FD at 2012 WC, even if they didn't win overall. Die Fledermaus was possibly their best choreographed/performed program of their career (I actually prefer it to Scheherazade).

I was fine with the 2010 result. Enamored with the Indian-themed OD and felt they should have won that portion, but I'm fine with V/M taking home a deserved gold.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Patrick Chan at Skate Canada where he won with four falls

Pretty much quite a number of Chan's wins were pretty dodgy.

Mind you, I'm well aware this is just another whinging thread designed for people to keep banging on their rubbish about the ladies' result in Sochi...

EricRohmer

On the Ice
poor Chan. lol

BTW, I think that his 12&13WC wins (that I think both deserve) will be accepted more well in the future.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I forget the year, but in one WC, Canadians B/I should have beaten G/G.

That is the only major title that I think G/G won unfairly. B/I were magnificent, and G/G were error-prone in their long.

Big Deal

Final Flight
- Yu-Na Kim "loses" to Sotnikova 2014.
- Torvil/Dean "loses" to Grischuk/Platov 1994.
-Mishkutionok/Dmitriev "loses" to Gordeeva/Grinkov in 1994. Olympics
-Virtue/Moir "loses" to Davis/White at anytime (except in 2012, when they actually won instead of rightfully losing).
-Regőczy-Sallay "loses" to Linichuk/Karponosov in 1980 Olympics.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am assuming you mean Isabelle Brasseur and Lloyd Eisler?

Doris, of course you are correct. Thank you for the correction.

I actually abbreviated early this morning because my coffee hadn't kicked in... and I wasn't sure how to spell it. Turns out I couldn't even get the last initial correct.:laugh: