What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently? | Page 5 | Golden Skate

What have been the sketchiest wins in major international competitions recently?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I do believe that probably close to 99% of those that follow figure skating and understand it generally feel that something was very wrong with the judging in Sochi. You don't have to believe that certain skaters should have won .to understand that something was off about the judging and that it was disappointing for our sport to be embroiled in this sort of mess AGAIN. Everyone I know who follows skating has told me they'll remember the Sochi games more for the corruption than the skating. Not that the skating was bad (except in the Men's LP). It's just that every result is accompanied by a sour feeling that comes when you realize a lot of the skaters were scored unfairly and that the winners in some cases frankly just weren't.

Nope.

I totally agreed with the ladies' result. I thought the scores were a little high, but the order was correct.

I also didn't see anything wrong with the ice dance results. The only thing wrong with the men's results was the fact that the men themselves kept going kersplat and the pairs was correct also.

And the team event result was also correct. Maybe Plushy was a touch overscored in the LP and Machida probably should have won it, but as that didn't make a difference to the overall result, it doesn't matter.

People act like overscoring is this horrible thing that only the Russians do and only happened at the Olympics - well that's RUBBISH. Overscoring happens in every country around the world at every competition. I say to you again: Patrick Chan and that abomination of a result at Skate Canada 2010. That was home cooking at its finest. Heck, I'll even admit it - when Jason's SP score came up at Skate America this season even I thought, "Wow, there's a bit of a home score!" (Of course, he then repeated and improved said score at TEB, so obviously it wasn't.)

As to the ladies, well, I'll say it, and be damned if my head ends up on a platter for it: I've thought Yuna Kim and Mao Asada were overscored for YEARS.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I'll step out there with you, I also have thought that Kim and Asada have been overscored and I'll add Kostner to that list as well. I think they have long benefited from their reputations and from a lack of consistency from their competitors.

I did not have an issue with the placement of the any of the Olympic podiums, including the ladies. I personally agree with the order although if Kim had won I would have thought that was justified as well. There have been many results that could have gone either way and I think this is one of them. I don't think the judging was any more corrupt than in any other games. I just think this is the nature of a subjective sport.

smileyhi

Match Penalty
Nope.

I totally agreed with the ladies' result. I thought the scores were a little high, but the order was correct.

I also didn't see anything wrong with the ice dance results. The only thing wrong with the men's results was the fact that the men themselves kept going kersplat and the pairs was correct also.

And the team event result was also correct. Maybe Plushy was a touch overscored in the LP and Machida probably should have won it, but as that didn't make a difference to the overall result, it doesn't matter.

People act like overscoring is this horrible thing that only the Russians do and only happened at the Olympics - well that's RUBBISH. Overscoring happens in every country around the world at every competition. I say to you again: Patrick Chan and that abomination of a result at Skate Canada 2010. That was home cooking at its finest. Heck, I'll even admit it - when Jason's SP score came up at Skate America this season even I thought, "Wow, there's a bit of a home score!" (Of course, he then repeated and improved said score at TEB, so obviously it wasn't.)

As to the ladies, well, I'll say it, and be damned if my head ends up on a platter for it: I've thought Yuna Kim and Mao Asada were overscored for YEARS.

Well, there's no accounting for taste. I suppose if someone actually enjoys watching Adelina more than Yuna or Mao that is, of course, one's right. Mind-boggling...but again, there's no accounting for taste.

Anyway, the scoring in Sochi was horrible and everyone with their heads not in the sand knows it was. Other events have no doubt been judged unfairly, but it's just too bad that at the most prestigious, golden competition of them all, the politics of the sport were so glaringly obvious and came before the actual performance quality of the competitors. Let's hope the judging panel in Pyeongchang can help restore some measure of integrity to our sport.

poleptina

Rinkside
Baiul over Kerrigan in 1994 was a bit more controversial for me, and I could've gone either way. There is no question in my mind that Kerrigan beat Baiul in technical merit, but Kerrigan's program - the music and choreography - just didn't feel sophisticated to me. For some reason, Kerrigan seemed to connect with and skate her best to these weird electronic new age ditties. Although I've read that her 1994 long program was a Neil Diamond medley, if someone had told me it was another Mark Militano creation, I would've believed it.

I'm probably the biggest Baiul fan out there, but in retrospect her win at Lillehammer seemed like the IOC's referendum on the Tonya-Nancy mess than anything else. I think that in terms of artistic potential, Baiul outstrips Kerrigan (and many others) by far, but limitations inherent to her Broadway Medley program (banal choreography, butchered music, etc. ) did not allow her to display those abilities in the LP. Kerrigan should have edged her out.