Best Exhibitions | Golden Skate

Best Exhibitions

Mista Ekko

Record Breaker
I was always much more interested in FS competitions than exhibitions,
The last time i remember tuning in for the televised Galas is somewhere around the 2002 Olympics,
And when going to competition i usually fly out at the Gala day.

I remember as a kid watching amateurs and Professionals do interesting bits, with elements that weren't allowed in competition,
When interesting stuff pop out it usually reaches me too, Like Fernandez's one of last season, Or when Hanyu landed the 4t-3a-3a sequence, But i was wondering:

What were the more interesting exhibition programs in the skating world, What are some of the best moves that are exciting to crowds but worthless in competition, And what were the best used props ?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Best used props goes to Plushenko's muscle suit and gold bikini in Sex Bomb. :laugh:

Absolutely. There is only ever one correct answer to "best exhibition".

Although, running a close second is his epic dress...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Kurt Browning: singing in the rain
http://youtu.be/JXtd7xq7URM

@3:15 The double heel click to 2axel(maybe 3a..its raining and hard to tell on my phone)to open the umbrella pretty much sums it up!

Nocturne

On the Ice
For me pechalat and bourzat always have some very original and entertaing gala programs.
I really enjoyed their George of the jungle program a few years ago! And it had a very nice prop too: the plastic crocodile :)
Besides, I also always love mao's exhibitions, especially her olympics one with the fan and her jupiter from 2011. It was simply amazing.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Plushy's "Sex Bomb"

Viktor Petrenko's "Mambo #5" (although he did this as a pro, right?) - very entertaining, though

Mao's "Jupiter"

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Akiko Suzuki's Love Dance is so special.
Michelle Kwan's Ex at the 2000 Worlds is always lovely.
Tessa & Scott's "I want To Hold Your Hand" is amazing too.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
The SLC gala was really great - Yagudin with Overcome, Kwan's Fields of Gold, B/S doing The Kid, S/P with Rocking the Boogie and A/P doing Susanna.

Takahashi's Bachelorette EX, P/B's Andy, Mao's Tango and Mary Poppins are also good exhibitions, and Kurt Browning's Singin' in the Rain is amazing. Verner/Kovalevski's Carmen should be the definitive version from now on.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Exhibitions not already mentioned:

I loved Anissina & Peizerat' s Susanna!
Also the Kerr' s exhibition version of their Erin Shore Folk OD and Davis &White' s exhibition version of their Bollywood OD.

From the past
Torvill&Dean
Song of India
Oscar Tango
Delahunty 's Reel
Rahkomo and Kokko' s Beyond the Invisible by Enigma (official video)
Bestemianova & Bukin (Auto correct turns Bestemianova to Histrionics :laugh:) Rasputin
Klimova & Ponomarenko Ballet exhibition 1987 Worlds

invisiblespiral

Record Breaker
Hmmm.... Mao's Caprice, Ballade, and Jupiter; Michelle Kwan's Fields of Gold, East of Eden and Dante's Prayer; and Ilia Kulik's Liebestraume and Nutcracker. And if professional programs count, throw in just about everything by A/S; Yuka Sato's Afternoon of a Faun and Kitaro, and Midori Ito's Rose of Pain.

Amer

Final Flight
Country
Italy
Right now digging Radionova's Zombie Dance :thumbsup:
Have to admit that I haven't watched very many exhibitionists.

lady_bee

Medalist
What are some of the best moves that are exciting to crowds but worthless in competition?

Back flip!!

Candeloro and Bonaly had powerful ones which had made crowds so excited.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgXJCyrh6b8 (around 1:50)

In contrast to them, Robin Cousins had very elegant back flip, which is my favorite.
He did it with crassical music, Rachmaninoff No. 2, and it is breathtaking:bow:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21pvHxrINtI (around 2:39)

Talking about Gala itself, I love most of Mao's and Kozuka's:love:
and of course Plushenko's Sex Bom.

bunnychan

Rinkside
Shen/Zhao "Sweet Dreams". In terms of props, I don't know if this is the best /prop/, but the table and chairs were certainly creatively used--like for the chair death spiral. It's not actually a gala ex, just a performance from one of their tours.

Shen/Zhao have a lot of great EXs and performance programs, in my opinion, especially the ones from 2002 onward.

>.> ...and as a personal thing, one of my personal favorites (but probably not really considered one of the "greats") is Song Nan's EX he used in the 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons, which is set to "Sarabande Suite" by Globus. Song often gets sidelined because of his lower PCS scores, but this EX was always mystifyingly expressive and artistic.