Best Exhibitions | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Best Exhibitions

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Klimova & Ponomarenko's "Don Quixote" exhibition..1987 (Skate America?) It's a masterpiece.

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Akiko's 'KA Love Dance' is seriously special. I watched her perform it live at the Dreams on Ice show in Yokohama and was totally speechless. Got chills during the step sequence.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Bourne and Kraatz had two very good ones, Return to Innocence by Enigma and Hotel California by the Eagles. I think it's been mentioned, but Grishuk and Platov's You'll See was very good as well.

noskates

Record Breaker
I don't think I ever cried during an exhibition program until Michelle's Fields of Gold. It didn't help that she was crying as well. I love that song, I love Eva Cassidy (she died wayyyy too young) and it was perfect!!!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Two fun ones from the Red Square gala in 2006: Brian Joubert doing his Daft Punk EX (which he got a lot of mileage out of over the years) and Alexander Abt skating to Gasolina (random Youtube commenter: "he really CAN skate to ANY music").

Serious Joubert: I was familiar with this one before, but I know his Hallelujah EX surprised a lot of people at 2009 Worlds as it was seen as pretty atypical for him.

And finally, Stephane Lambiel's first appearance on the world stage ;)

Esopian

Final Flight
Probably Yuzuru Hanyu's - Hana ni Nare (at an ice show if that counts). It's nice to see him loosen up a bit and connect to the lyrics personally.

TMC

Record Breaker
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwww tiny wickle talented Stephane!!! Dat triple toe tho!

Bonnie F

On the Ice
At big events, like worlds or the olympics do all the skaters get to perform an exhibition piece? If not, how many are chosen and are they chosen based on placement or popularity, etc?

bartlebooth

Record Breaker
At big events, like worlds or the olympics do all the skaters get to perform an exhibition piece? If not, how many are chosen and are they chosen based on placement or popularity, etc?

It used to be like this: top 5 finishers for each discipline, plus maybe local skaters.
More recently it's like this: Top 4 finishers for each discipline, plus invited ones, chosen usually on popularity, or because they're retiring, or they skated lights out.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Top 5 usually. Galas at Worlds/Olympics sometimes have ring-ins - there were a few Russian juniors at the Sochi gala, for example.