Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Who is the Dark Horse for the Men's podium?

Landing 3As in my dreams! skatedreamer's Avatar
    I'd really love to see Jeremy skate well and redeem himself after his Sochi disaster.

Custom Title
    I think Max will end up around 6th or 7th - mostly because of his pcs. I would LOVE to see Jeremy put 2 skates together like he did at Nationals. Other than that - who knows! Anything could happen. Wouldn't it be ironic if Kovtun won gold though! Bwahahahah......poetic justice is alive and well.

Custom Title
    How can Yuzuru be a "dark horse" when he is the gold medalist in the Olympics?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    The odds are against him, but it would be a great way to avenge the way his Federation treated him.
    Oh yes, his federation treated him sooooooooooo badly, when they gift-wrapped him a Worlds spot after finishing fifth at Nationals and not even bothering to show up to the test skate...they treated him soooooooo horribly, when they coddled him and pampered him after his lowly 17th finish there, guaranteeing Russia just one spot, though they had thrown another skater with the same finish to the wolves the year before...

Custom Title
    I'm assuming Ten isn't going?

Kozuka had showed so much potential at the 2010 olys. But I feel like he's hit a wall, and hasn't been able to surmount it. Especially artistically.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    I think Machida; I hope Kozuka. However, both Machida and Kozuka seem to be a bit low-balled on PCS :(
    Maybe they should consider skating for another federation
    Never mind. Ignore me!

A dark horse, a real dark horse? Uhm... Mayorov?

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Why are people mentioning Machida as a dark horse? Hanyu can't be the favorite for all 3 spots on the podium, and Fernandez and Machida were the next highest finishers at the Olypmics, and look more like the heavy podium favorites to me.
    Kozuka could be considered a dark horse, since he's been out of the big events since last season but still has the talent to medal here. Han Yan and Kovtun could also change things up.

IF the USFSA had send Jason, I'd agree he'd have a shot at bronze. Aaron could end up on the podium too if he really delivers, but this season (not being at the Olys especially) will probably have cost him momentum, and that could show in his PCS...

Custom Title
    Machida is clearly the favorite for the podium along with Hanyu and Fernandez. The next in line is obviously Han Yan. Chinese skaters tend to do well at competitions in Asia. He won the bronze at last year's 4CC. Kevin Reynolds was the winner that time. He could be the real dark horse. I don't think Kovtun has a good chance. He will face some backlash from Sochi Olymputin. I expect one of the Chinese pairs to place ahead of the (all) Russians.

Custom Title
    Max needs about 6 years of ballet and dance movement, divest himself of the herky jerky movements more associated with hockey than figure skating, better music than Carmen for his style of skating and a good choreographer. Jumps alone should not win a medal. I prefer a more well-rounded skater!!

But having met him I will say that he is a very, very nice young man. I hope he does better than I think he will because he's also a hard worker.

Custom Title
    Ten

Custom Title
    I heard Verner is going after all. With two clean skates he could be podium worthy.

Maybe Jeremy if he can get over his nerves.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Ten
    Denis Ten isn't going to Worlds.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Max needs about 6 years of ballet and dance movement, divest himself of the herky jerky movements more associated with hockey than figure skating, better music than Carmen for his style of skating and a good choreographer. Jumps alone should not win a medal. I prefer a more well-rounded skater!!

But having met him I will say that he is a very, very nice young man. I hope he does better than I think he will because he's also a hard worker.
    He probably doesn't have six years but agree he needs someone like a Sandra Bezic to add the artist to his athlete the way she did with Boitano, at the point in Boitano's career when he was referred to as a jumping machine.

Also agree he's a class act (could tell just from the way he reacted after not making the Olympic team) and glad to hear he's a hard worker.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    The odds are against him, but it would be a great way to avenge the way his Federation treated him.
    He didn't say no to go to the world when he was 5th at the russian championship, isn't it? So bad was he not treated, he still gets to world dispite being 17 last year and only 5 at the euro behind Voronov. Without the backing he got all the season he will hardly got those PCS.Loads of male skaters were dumped from the rusiian federation for much less.

But I also think that he is the dark horse. He is now poised to show what he can do and frankly i don't see any other new comer being able to do that at the moment.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast