Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Who is the Dark Horse for the Men's podium?

skating philosopher
    Based on the data below:

Favorites for podium: Hanyu, Fernandez, Machida,
    Dark horses: Yan, Kovtun, Kozuka, Reynolds, Aaron
    Dark dark horses: Liebers, Abbott, Verner, Brezina, Amodio

Personal best
    Hanyu: 293.27
    Fernandez: 274.87
    Machida: 265.38
    Kozuka: 258.41
    Reynolds: 250.55
    Amodio: 250.39
    -----
    Yan: 246.20
    Brezina: 243.52
    Kovtun 240.34
    Liebers 239.87
    Aaron: 238.36
    Abbott: 238.32
    Verner: 232.99

Season best scores
    Hanyu: 293.25
    Fernandez: 267.11
    Yan: 246.20
    Kovtun: 240.34
    Liebers: 238.87
    ------
    Aaron: 238.36
    Abbott: 237.41
    Kozuka: 236.38
    Brezina: 236.98
    Majorov: 224.86
    Reynolds: 222.23
    Hendrickx: 214.24
    Amodio: 213.39

Season worst (GP/Euros/4CC/Olympics)
    Machida: 236.03
    Hanyu: 234.80
    Kovtun: 232.37
    Fernandez: 226.99
    Kozuka: 226.92
    Verner: 223.66
    ------
    Aaron: 223.35
    Reynods: 222.23
    Abbott: 215.95
    Yan: 214.23
    Brezina: 206.22
    Liebers: 197.65
    Amodio: 190.13

Personal best scores combined (PB from SP/FS)
    Hanyu: 294.86
    Fernandez: 277.63
    Kozuka: 267.18
    Reynolds: 257.37
    Kovtun: 256.85
    -----
    Amodio: 252.89
    Brezina: 251.35
    Yan: 250.68
    Abbott: 247.10
    Aaron: 240.65
    Liebers: 239.87
    Verner 239.72

Season's best scores combined
    Hanyu: 294.86
    Fernandez: 267.11
    Kovtun: 256.85
    Yan: 250.68
    Kozuka: 241.15
    -----
    Liebers: 239.87
    Abbott: 238.90
    Aaron: 238.66
    Brezina: 236.98
    Verner: 235.41
    Reynolds: 238.66
    Amodio: 215.24

Season worst combined
    Hanyu: 234.90
    Machida: 231.51
    Fernandez: 226.99
    Aaron: 223.05
    Reynolds: 222.23
    Kozuka: 222.15
    -----
    Verner: 221.24
    Kovtun: 216.73
    Yan: 207.64
    Abbott: 207.02
    Brezina: 206.02
    Amodio: 191.13
    Liebers: 196.84

Custom Title
    Thank you! this is great!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbiespectator View Post
    Thank you! this is great!
    So I guess based on the data provided, Yuzu is the heavy, heavy (overwhelming) favourite to win.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Based on the data below:

Favorites for podium: Hanyu, Fernandez, Machida,
    Dark horses: Yan, Kovtun, Kozuka, Reynolds, Aaron
    Dark dark horses: Liebers, Abbott, Verner, Brezina, Amodio ...
    Thanks, Mrs. P -- appreciate all the supporting data.

Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    I about fell out of my chair when I heard he was skating to Carmen this year! In what universe did that make sense? ...

And yes, he is a class act! It must have been hard to sit back stage and watch your 2014 Olympic dream go down the drain. Hopefully it has made him stronger and more determined.
    Carmen made sense for Max in a universe in which a skater must love to perform to her/his chosen music and must enjoy hearing it hundreds and hundreds of times over the course of a season. And in a universe in which Max rejected complacency and wanted to push himself beyond his comfort zone.

Happy to repeat again what I have said umpteen times over the past eight or nine months:
    In his TSL interview this summer, Kirk and Lease teased Max quite forcefully about picking Carmen. With a smile on his face, Max acknowledged Carmen's overuse and calmly explained why he chose it anyway. Some of his comments [I'm just paraphrasing]:
    - Carmen is a crowd-pleaser. To this day, Max finds himself clapping along when he hears the music.
    - He has wanted to skate to Carmen since he was nine years old.

Nine years old, btw, also is the age at which Max started figure skating. By age eleven, he was competing at juvenile regionals. Meanwhile, he also was an elite hockey player until he broke his back in 2008.
    His hockey success was very gratifying for Max, and I highly doubt that he regrets any of the time and effort that he devoted to the sport.

I feel sure that his mental strength and determination have only grown since Boston Nats.

Custom Title
    Golden, I know you're a big Max fan. I still don't find his skating style pleasing and I still think Carmen was a bad choice for him....whether he liked the music and wanted to skate to it all his life or not. I don't think it did him any favors. And I don't believe I, or anybody else, felt he had regrets about playing hockey. I was only saying that he figure skates like a hockey player. That's what I see!

Good luck to Max at Worlds!

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Golden, I know you're a big Max fan. I still don't find his skating style pleasing and I still think Carmen was a bad choice for him....whether he liked the music and wanted to skate to it all his life or not. I don't think it did him any favors. And I don't believe I, or anybody else, felt he had regrets about playing hockey. I was only saying that he figure skates like a hockey player. That's what I see!

Good luck to Max at Worlds!
    And no matter how many times and in how many threads you repeat your negativity re Max's skating, my feelings will remain positive.

I join you in wishing Max good luck.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SquishyDumpling View Post
    With all the withdrawals of the big names, does Abbott even need to go for a quad in either program to have a top 5?
    You never know how your competitors will skate. And although Chan, Ten and Takahashi won't be there, many of the other guys who finished ahead of Jeremy at the Olympics will still be going. And doesn't Jeremy want to get on the podium rather than just being in the top 5? If he's going for a final Worlds, is it to finally win a medal, or is it just to achieve a final good skate?

Banned
    Han Yan and Max Aaron

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    You never know how your competitors will skate. And although Chan, Ten and Takahashi won't be there, many of the other guys who finished ahead of Jeremy at the Olympics will still be going. And doesn't Jeremy want to get on the podium rather than just being in the top 5? If he's going for a final Worlds, is it to finally win a medal, or is it just to achieve a final good skate?
    If Jeremy skates the way he did at Nationals, I guarantee he will be on the podium. If everyone skates clean, he still has a shot at the podium. Point being, he's podium worthy if he can reproduce two solid performances (with quads).

I would say the dark horses are Kozuka and Reynolds. I think Reynolds, if he executes all his jumps, will probably land on the podium given his popularity in Japan and past success skating in Japan (i.e. 2013 4CC, his PCs were pretty good at 80).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    If Jeremy skates the way he did at Nationals, I guarantee he will be on the podium. If everyone skates clean, he still has a shot at the podium. Point being, he's podium worthy if he can reproduce two solid performances (with quads).

I would say the dark horses are Kozuka and Reynolds. I think Reynolds, if he executes all his jumps, will probably land on the podium given his popularity in Japan and past success skating in Japan (i.e. 2013 4CC, his PCs were pretty good at 80).
    Reynolds can do it if he can get his temperament in check, like he did at 4CC last year. Sure as shooting, he CAN (but might not) nail his long. The team event at the Olympics showed that. And he has a great short that, I think, could bring the house down if he nails it (but which he has just been so far off on so far . . . only twice by the way). If it was not for his missing the whole first part of the season, I would feel better for him. This is another skater (like Abbott except that Kevin does not put his foot in his mouth) that we will have a good sense of their final placing after the short (either it will be a triumph to be sealed with the fs or a disaster from which no recovery is possible). Basically, the die will be cast for him (and Skate Canada men's for next year) by AC/DC.

It would be so nice to see Kevin do well.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    While I dont hope for it, I also have a sense the entire Russian skating team will face some backlash for the controversial and heavily rumored fixing of the figure skating competition in Sochi in favor of the Russian skaters. That doesnt just apply to the ladies event btw, but as that was the final impression and it was the worst and biggest scandal of all, it will be the biggest impression of all and probably even exagerrate memories of the scoring of Russians in the other disciplines and affect the negative vibe towards Russian skaters for awhile. How long it will last I am unsure, but could well be another couple years, and probably at the next Olympics too; at the absolute least likely at the post Olympic Worlds. Dont be surprised to see much lower than expected scores for Stolbova & Klimov (though they still might win if V&T arent there, S&S bomb, and nobody else skates that well), Lipnitskaya, Kovtun, and almost all the Russians skaters minus I&K who I suspect even the ISU want to see as the team to beat this quad.

For someone like Kovtun who is not a favorite of anyone- ISU, Russian fed (as their sending Plushenko to the Games proves), and is an inconsistent skater who doesnt have huge scoring potential even when he skates well either, any negative anti Russian vibe would see him really sink unless he skates lights out.
    I was really hoping you'd retire with Yuna. Weeks later I come back and your still spouting the same BS.

Custom Title
    My true wish was both Brian and Daisuke to have two great skates and get on the world podium with BIG smiles, together and one last time before they close their wonderful competitive career, though I now know it won't happen...

Here goes MY picks :
    -Takahiko winning the worlds title. finally. in front of his home fans!
    I have been waiting and waiting the last TH-R-EEEE seasons for Taka to become the second Japanese World Champ after Dai. If you ever watch him skate LIVE, you can't deny that his blade touches to the ice are simply out of this world.

-Tomas and Jeremy on the world podium. finally!!
    Such fabulous skaters they truly are, and just like Patrick and Dai, these two are the closest as most complete skaters, so to speak, currently competing, I believe. Thus should be a shame really, if they never get on the world podium during their competitive career which is soon coming to its end (sadly;;;; ). Hope they somehow can deal with their nerves this time, have two great skates and close their competitive career on high note.

-As for the likes of Yuzuru, Javi, Max, Kevin or Jason, there are some areas/rooms to be desired to improve, before being called as the complete skaters and/or becoming the worthy/deserving world champ, just yet. I don't want them to be criticized by some of skating fans, either. Besides, they are very young they can wait a year, until the next Olympic cycle begins next season.

Custom Title
    The Max Aaron criticism tickles me

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Why dont you retire yourself. Nobody would miss you, just like nobody will miss your beloved Sotnikova if she never skates again. Anyway who dares to call the godly Michelle Moochelle Kwan should be immediately banned for sheer ignorance and stupidity to begin with. PS- Why would Yu Na retiring have anything to do with me, a skater I am not even a fan of to begin with. You are literally dumber than the ladies judges in Sochi.
    My name isn't nobody...

Rinkside
    Denis Ten...He is real winner of 2013 world championship..(I love Chan, but it was not gold medal performance).
    He also won the Olympic bronze medal throughout the injuries
    He has a good skating skill, but compare to Chan and Hanyu, his PCS is very low....
    Also Yan Han (low PCS) and Fernandez Javier, they both have a chance to shoot podium

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast