Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Who is the Dark Horse for the Men's podium?

Custom Title
    I would say it's Hanyu's to lose, particularly with Chan not there. I think Kozuka might surprise, but it's more likely to be Machida/Yan/Fernandez all gunning for the bronze.

Quote Originally Posted by swc0931 View Post
    Denis Ten...He is real winner of 2013 world championship..(I love Chan, but it was not gold medal performance).
    He also won the Olympic bronze medal throughout the injuries
    He has a good skating skill, but compare to Chan and Hanyu, his PCS is very low....
    Also Yan Han (low PCS) and Fernandez Javier, they both have a chance to shoot podium
    Unfortunately, Denis isn't going to the worlds. (but I agree he is the real 2013 world champion)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Nobody would miss you, just like nobody will miss your beloved Sotnikova if she never skates again.
    Oh lord. You are completely delusional. Horrible judging aside, Sotnikova put on strong performances (SP and LP), even it was overscored and propped up to a gold. To say that nobody would miss her if she never skated again is sheer nonsense. She's the reigning Olympic champion, and if the scoring were proper, still a reigning Olympic medalist. Of course, your hatred of skaters often makes you say outrageous things, so this is hardly atypical of you.

Speaking of "nobody would miss you", why are you still here? I thought you were done with this Forum the moment Pang and Tong were finished in Sochi? Only to be inevitably resurrected as "sotnikovachanhater" or something juvenile like that...

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Panini View Post
    My name isn't nobody...
    Mine neither.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    If Jeremy skates the way he did at Nationals, I guarantee he will be on the podium. If everyone skates clean, he still has a shot at the podium. Point being, he's podium worthy if he can reproduce two solid performances (with quads).

I would say the dark horses are Kozuka and Reynolds. I think Reynolds, if he executes all his jumps, will probably land on the podium given his popularity in Japan and past success skating in Japan (i.e. 2013 4CC, his PCs were pretty good at 80).
    That's the big 'IF'! The frustration a lot of people have (particularly Americans, I gather) is that Jeremy doesn't usually skate as well at Worlds as he does at Nationals.

And Reynolds can be inconsistent too, but it will be interesting to see how he handles being Canada's top man at Worlds for the first time. With Chan absent, the focus will be on him.

Btw, how come Verner changed his mind about retiring after Sochi?

Hic Rhodus, hic salta
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    I think it depends on Plushenko's tour being postponed/cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan O View Post
    That's the big 'IF'! The frustration a lot of people have (particularly Americans, I gather) is that Jeremy doesn't usually skate as well at Worlds as he does at Nationals.

And Reynolds can be inconsistent too, but it will be interesting to see how he handles being Canada's top man at Worlds for the first time. With Chan absent, the focus will be on him.

It's even a bigger IF than Reynolds, who has at least scored 250+ during his career. Jeremy's personal best doesn't even break 240 and even if you combine his PB SP an his PB FS, still doesn't break 250.

If Jeremy can turn in 250+ overall score at Worlds with two clean performances it would be an unprecedented achievement in his international career.

On the Ice
    I give you the darkest of dark horses to make the podium......Mr. Jeremy Abbott. Will never happen.

On the Ice
    If Abbott skates decently he has to medal in this field. I just hope he finally does that.
    Extremely doubtful. IF he skates decently he'll be in the top 10 somewhere.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Lets be real though. The way the judges are scoring these days Abbotts performances from 2009 Skate Canada and the 2008 Grand Prix final would be given a score of around 270 total today. Reynolds may never skate or score any better than he did at Four Continents last year again, and even if he skates his best wont likely score any higher than that.
    2008 and 2009? Could we at least focus on the actual quad? It doesn't mean anything how he might have scored with these performances today.
    If he doesn't go for any quad, I don't see all of Hanyu, Fernandez and Machida skating bad enough for him to beat them.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    If he doesn't go for any quad, I don't see all of Hanyu, Fernandez and Machida skating bad enough for him to beat them.

I think I would not count Hanyu. If he skates clean he is untouchable for anyone except Patrick. If he falls 2-3 times, only Fernandez on top of his skill may fight with Yuzuru, but I don't see it. Hanyu on the short is way, way too far in front of anyone.

I bet a silver for Fernandez. Would be great bronze for Abott, but this quad is not working for him. He is falling this quad in head and this is big problem

Custom Title
    while I agree that a clean hanyu is pretty much untouchable if he falls or wors pop a jump fernandez is pretty capable to beat him, especially since their pcs aren't really that far apart... If everyone skated at the top of their game, seeing past results, I think that it would be something on the line of
    1 hanyu
    2 fernadez
    3a race between machida, abbot (I think it would be the first time his career), han yan and kovtun...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by noskates View Post
    Max needs about 6 years of ballet and dance movement, divest himself of the herky jerky movements more associated with hockey than figure skating, better music than Carmen for his style of skating and a good choreographer. Jumps alone should not win a medal. I prefer a more well-rounded skater!!

But having met him I will say that he is a very, very nice young man. I hope he does better than I think he will because he's also a hard worker.
    although I agree with you about Max, some people believe that the ladies gold medalist just won based on her jumps

Custom Title
    My impression was after the ladies event the low key controversy over the scoring in the other events (only not larger due to their being no hugely controversial final medals, despite some ridiculous scores and obvious signs of the pre Games fixed rumors) became larger after the ladies event. The dance event which was already talked about, became more talked about, and the scores of V&T for an imperfect LP, some of the bizarre Team Event scores. Then again maybe I am being misled by the atmosphere on this board and the focus is mostly on the ladies event as you say. Maybe I am thinking more along the lines of my own hopes which is that the focus in the post Sochi aftermath is not JUST on the ladies event, but on the entire figure skating competition as the whole competitions looks crooked to me in hindsight, and it was just fortunate and lucky the performances were such that no huge controversy blew up (although some small ones such as some thinking V&M should have won, some thinking P&B should have won bronze) despite the very skewed and somewhat unfair scores; until of course the ladies event. At the very least I would like to see the entire competition and anything that might have gone on behind the scenes investigated strongly, although I know in reality that probably wont happen.

It will be interesting to see how the Worlds start and how the first Russians are scored but even if they are scored fairly (and I hope they are) they would still get lower scores than Sochi, except for possibly V&T if they skate. Even I&K I dont think can expect the sky high scores they got in Sochi, despite that they are the ones I named as most immune to any anti Russian backlash. Even if the judges attempted to be fair I am sure the energy of the crowd exagerrated their performance in the judges minds. I would also love to see P&B end their careers with a World title so hope the scores of I&K are in line with reality, although even if they are if I&K skate like Sochi they will be hard to beat for the gold. If P&B can skate as well as Sochi, and I&K make even a small mistake though, it could be a gold finale for P&B.
    I know it is a different era but I really really really hope P and B do NOT win a WGM. I almost would rather no one get gold. They are good and somewhat innovative but clearly second tier compared to Belbin and Agosto and Dubreil and Lauzon who I believe never won WGM. I would put them behind Albveruk and Lobacheva too though I can't remember if they won a world title or not.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bartlebooth View Post
    I think it depends on Plushenko's tour being postponed/cancelled.
    the field opened up so like P and B undoubtedly - no one will admit it though I am sure they want a world medal and no silver, bronze medallist and perenial medal favourite Takahashi the silver and bronze is wide open. Ferennadez has not developed as well or become more consistent so this is Aaron, Abbot, Brezina, Verner, Machida, Kozuka, kovotun and maybe even Reynolds though doubtful as he hasn't skated a lot chance to get a medal.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast