Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Worlds: Who is the Dark Horse for the Men's podium?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NMURA View Post
    I don't think Kovtun has a good chance. He will face some backlash from Sochi Olymputin.
    I think that all Russian skaters have been favoured by the judges in this season. And now at Worlds I hope that Russian skaters will be judged fairly and not "helped" any more.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    Lets be real though. The way the judges are scoring these days Abbotts performances from 2009 Skate Canada and the 2008 Grand Prix final would be given a score of around 270 total today. Reynolds may never skate or score any better than he did at Four Continents last year again, and even if he skates his best wont likely score any higher than that.
    Reynolds scored 167 points in his FS in the team event, and landed 3 quads (which were all ratified). If not for the axel error and not having a 3-jump combo, he would have quite possibly matched or surpassed his FS from 4CC last year. Also bear in mind that Reynolds had a bad SP at 4CC, and if he skates an SP similar to Worlds (85 points then, probably 83 outside of Canada), he could clear 250 and contend for bronze. Of course, he has had inconsistencies, but there's no denying he had an excellent skate in the team FS, so you never know.

Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    My true wish was both Brian and Daisuke to have two great skates and get on the world podium with BIG smiles, together and one last time before they close their wonderful competitive career, though I now know it won't happen...

Here goes MY picks :
    -Takahiko winning the worlds title. finally. in front of his home fans!
    I have been waiting and waiting the last TH-R-EEEE seasons for Taka to become the second Japanese World Champ after Dai. If you ever watch him skate LIVE, you can't deny that his blade touches to the ice are simply out of this world.

-Tomas and Jeremy on the world podium. finally!!
    Such fabulous skaters they truly are, and just like Patrick and Dai, these two are the closest as most complete skaters, so to speak, currently competing, I believe. Thus should be a shame really, if they never get on the world podium during their competitive career which is soon coming to its end (sadly;;;; ). Hope they somehow can deal with their nerves this time, have two great skates and close their competitive career on high note.

-As for the likes of Yuzuru, Javi, Max, Kevin or Jason, there are some areas/rooms to be desired to improve, before being called as the complete skaters and/or becoming the worthy/deserving world champ, just yet. I don't want them to be criticized by some of skating fans, either. Besides, they are very young they can wait a year, until the next Olympic cycle begins next season.
    Deedee1, I absolutely agree with everything you said here. In fact, even one of the above coming to fruition would make me very, very happy. Unfortunately I'm not sure what the odds are, but certainly hope to be proven wrong.

generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    I think I would not count Hanyu. If he skates clean he is untouchable for anyone except Patrick. If he falls 2-3 times, only Fernandez on top of his skill may fight with Yuzuru, but I don't see it. Hanyu on the short is way, way too far in front of anyone.
    Wow, what a great comment! This comment probably sums up entirely what I hope for Hanyu to achieve in the 2014 Worlds (being far, far in front of every other competitor).

My picks for the number 1&2 spots for the podium would definitely be Hanyu and Fernandez respectively. As for the 3rd spot, it could be anyone (too many possible contenders).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by HanDomi View Post
    I think I would not count Hanyu. If he skates clean he is untouchable for anyone except Patrick. If he falls 2-3 times, only Fernandez on top of his skill may fight with Yuzuru, but I don't see it. Hanyu on the short is way, way too far in front of anyone.

I bet a silver for Fernandez. Would be great bronze for Abott, but this quad is not working for him. He is falling this quad in head and this is big problem
    Let's put it this way. If Yuzuru falls 2-3 times but fully rotates his jumps, he will still win UNLESS someone like Javier Fernandez delivers a clean 3 quad program with no doubling. The World's are in Japan, and the title is Yuzuru's to lose.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Let's put it this way. If Yuzuru falls 2-3 times but fully rotates his jumps, he will still win UNLESS someone like Javier Fernandez delivers a clean 3 quad program with no doubling. The World's are in Japan, and the title is Yuzuru's to lose.
    That would just create a whole sh!t storm of hate for him. But if Hanyu manages to skate his SP cleanly, I think you are probably right about him having a 2 fall advantage. The highest Fernandez has scored this season was a 91 with a fairly well skated SP at Euros. However, if Hanyu makes mistakes in his SP like at the last two worlds, I don't see him having that 2 fall advantage over Fernandez. Hanyu's hit the 90s in PCS, but his PCS also have a big range while Fernandez's PCS consistently stay in the 80s even for bad skates. So I doubt that if Hanyu gives points away on the technical side in both the SP and FS, the PCS gap btwn him and Fernandez will be large enough to hold off even a decent Fernandez.

I'd vote Abbott as dark horse. He should just skate without the quad in the SP and put one in the FS. He'd probably get around the same SP score as Brown and that would keep him in the hunt. Who knows, maybe a couple of the guys going for quads will miss theirs and that would put him in an even better position. I think the best thing for Abbott to do is go for the layout that he will most likely end up skating clean and then play the waiting game to see how many guys actually land their quads.

Custom Title
    I'm rooting for Yuzuru but I hope he either skates clean to win or loses. The last thing he needs now is his own chanflation haunting him.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by moviechick View Post
    I'm rooting for Yuzuru but I hope he either skates clean to win or loses. The last thing he needs now is his own chanflation haunting him.
    And I think ppl are just dying for someone new to complain about since Chan is sitting out for a bit.

This!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FTnoona View Post
    And I think ppl are just dying for someone new to complain about since Chan is sitting out for a bit.
    Chan brought on a lot of it by coming off terribly in interviews though. Yuzuru is like a puppy. He's lucky he escaped the Olympics unscathed cause EVERYONE sucked so bad in the event, but if he beats clean performances at worlds, I'm afraid that won't do him any good.

Chan brought on a lot of it by coming off terribly in interviews though. Yuzuru is like a puppy. He's lucky he escaped the Olympics unscathed cause EVERYONE sucked so bad in the event, but if he beats clean performances at worlds, I'm afraid that won't do him any good.
    +he's at home. It is expected him and Mao to be overscored (even though I don't think the Japanese will act the same way just after Sochi)

generally interested fan Esopian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvia451 View Post
    +he's at home. It is expected him and Mao to be overscored (even though I don't think the Japanese will act the same way just after Sochi)
    As much as I hope for Hanyu to do well at the 2014 Worlds, I don't want him to be overscored just because the competition is held in Japan (it's sort of inevitable though). I wish for him to do his best on his own and earn the score he deserves, clean or not. In the end, fair competition is the best ... but these days that's getting scarce.

Custom Title
    Somewhere over the rainbow where blue birds fly
    I think exactly the same.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Esopian View Post
    As much as I hope for Hanyu to do well at the 2014 Worlds, I don't want him to be overscored just because the competition is held in Japan (it's sort of inevitable though). I wish for him to do his best on his own and earn the score he deserves, clean or not. In the end, fair competition is the best ... but these days that's getting scarce.
    The problem is many people don't understand few things. They are saying oh he falls -why he win while other skated cleanly. This is the problem of people. Yes, he falls but still he managed rest of the program better (because of level of technical difficulty and it execution) than others without fall. And it is SP+FS. Not only FS.
    As i wrote in Yuzuru topic I hope we will see great leanded 4S, because it looks as beatifull as his 4T on some practice videos.

The thing I like about him he is not skating conservatively, he is taking all the guns

Custom Title
    @HanDomi: I don't think you can blame it all on people. I consider myself Yuzuru's fan but I see him tossing a coin every time he attempts 4S in competitions. I am not too versed with COP but it looks to me he does that because it gets him points no matter what. Correct me if I am wrong.

But if that's actual state of affairs, then people have reason to doubt the legitimacy of competition (or even the sport).

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast