Recovery time for laceration from blade? | Golden Skate

Recovery time for laceration from blade?

NFL10

Spectator
Another skater landed a jump with her blade cutting my daughter on the inside of her left leg right above her leg. She required 6 stitches. Thank goodness it did not cut any muscle and did not doo any other damage. She gets her stitches out tomorrow and she was hoping to jump back in where she left off but she is having difficulty flexing her foot completely and cannot spring off that foot. I've never had stitches and certainly not right in the leg. She's a competitive skater and the season is just starting. Does anyone have experience with this type of injury? thank you.

dress

On the Ice
I haven't seen your daughter's injury, so it makes it harder for me to give you more information. We must not forget that even if the stitches are removed, the skin is still weaker bacause it needs time to heal completely. Torsion or traction on the wound, could cause pain or even worse ¨reopen¨ the wound. When your daughter flex her foot or try to spring off the foot, it pulls on the skin and it causes pain. It will be important to ask your doctor(or the nurse) when he thinks it will be safe to train again in order to avoid creating a worse injury which would sideline her for a longer period.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Another skater landed a jump with her blade cutting my daughter on the inside of her left leg right above her leg. She required 6 stitches. Thank goodness it did not cut any muscle and did not doo any other damage. She gets her stitches out tomorrow and she was hoping to jump back in where she left off but she is having difficulty flexing her foot completely and cannot spring off that foot. I've never had stitches and certainly not right in the leg. She's a competitive skater and the season is just starting. Does anyone have experience with this type of injury? thank you.

Agreeing with dress. Ask the doctor for the best idea and whatever happens, don't let her rush back onto the ice. I understand that she's a competitive skater and the season is starting, but it's better for her to miss some time now and let it heal properly, than to rush back and do worse damage and be off for longer.

She got very lucky. It's not a common accident, but it happens. Joshua Farris had a similar accident, but the blade cut deeper, and he wasn't able to jump for three months.

NFL10

Spectator
Thank you for your replies. Daughter got the stitches out and Dr. has cleared her to return to skating tomorrow. Nothing was damaged. She is fearful of the wound opening up which I can understand.. She is young so doesn't completely understand that that won't happen. She is finally beginning to walk without favoring the leg. We'll take it slow and after reading your comment, which I appreciate, we're going to take a wait and see approach to the competitions...its a long season after all.

loopy

Final Flight
When my skater was seriously injured and then cleared, it took the amount of time she was off the ice after being cleared to resume where she left off. (so 6 months off the ice, 6 months of therapy, and then the next 6 months to regain skills. And the last half of that hurdle was rebuilding strength - physical and mental. So if she had them for 2 weeks, expect 2 more weeks before she feels ready, and 2 more to feel normal/regain strength. You might look at a session of physical therapy or more if her range of motion is limited. Sure she can probably do it on her own just playing at recess, but it helped my daughter to do it in a safe environment (the mental part). She was devastated to be used back so far at the time, but she now sees it as a learning experience. Good luck!

Adding - have you read this? http://practicalplasticsurgery.org/docs/Practical_15.pdf

discombobulate

Rinkside
I'm very glad you're daughter recovered! I hope there are no hard feelings between the skaters or coaches or anyone.
These kind of incidents happen. It's part of skating. It comes with the territory of skating on rinks with other people, especially crowded sessions. I hope the skaters can be gracious on the ice while getting done what they need to get done!
It's such a difficult balance, in my opinion, to skate and not be the person who moves for EVERYONE and doesn't jump because there is someone who is slightly closeby.
Best of luck in her competition season!