Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "ISU Challenger Series Figure Skating" - per Communication No. 1854

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    That makes sense. I hope the federations take advantage of the opportunity for their skaters!

Yes! I'm still hopeful that Hannah, Barbie, and Mariah could end up with a substitute spot on the GP. But I really, really, really hope USFS will consider sending them to the Challenger Series.
    But I am wondering whether U.S. Figure Skating and Skate Canada will be sending skaters to fewer Senior Bs this autumn for some reason related to the new Challenger Series???

For the new season, the USFS assignments page has empty placeholder slots only for SLC.
    IIRC, at the beginning of seasons past, it has had empty placeholders for several Senior Bs -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela, Coupe de Nice, and perhaps others.

ETA, see post #43 below for an update re USFS.

Skate Canada's assignments page has placeholder slots only for SLC, Nebelhorn, and its own new Autumn Classic. None for Finlandia, Nepela, etc.

(Coupe de Nice is not in the Challenger Series, but the others are.)

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    But I am wondering whether U.S. Figure Skating and Skate Canada will be sending skaters to fewer Senior Bs this autumn for some reason related to the new Challenger Series???

For the new season, the USFS assignments page has empty placeholder slots only for SLC.
    IIRC, at the beginning of seasons past, it has had empty placeholder for several Senior Bs -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela, Coupe de Nice, and perhaps others.

Skate Canada's assignments page has placeholder slots only for SLC, Nebelhorn, and its own new Autumn Classic. None for Finlandia, Nepela, etc.

(Coupe de Nice is not in the Challenger Series, but the others are.)
    Well, that would suck, if the net result was fewer international opportunities for US Skaters! Not to mention counter-intuitive.

One alternate theory: Since they just found out which events will be part of the Challenger Series, they didn't even know which ones to list on the site since the Challenger Series will be the primary focus in the fall.

Total speculation, of course.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Also, it's not uncommon to wait and see who excels at summer comps before making all the assignments.

Well, that would suck, if the net result was fewer international opportunities for US Skaters! Not to mention counter-intuitive.

One alternate theory: Since they just found out which events will be part of the Challenger Series, they didn't even know which ones to list on the site since the Challenger Series will be the primary focus in the fall.

Hope that your alternate theory turns out to be correct, BG.

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Also, it's not uncommon to wait and see who excels at summer comps before making all the assignments.
    Yes ... but what I am saying is that even at this early stage of the (pre-)season, usually USFS and Skate Canada have Finlandia (for example) listed on their assignment pages. The name of the event has been there, although skater names don't get filled in until later, as you say.

USFS already has Mozart Cup listed for Jan 2015, for example ...

Custom Title
    USFS already has Mozart Cup listed for Jan 2015, for example ...
    So I see -- several winter events. I'd be surprised if they sent skaters to all of them. Have they ever listed January and February non-championship events on the website at the beginning of the summer before? My guess is they're anticipating that they may need to send some skaters who do well at Nationals to an international event to get minimum technical scores needed for Four Continents, Jr Worlds, or Worlds, which has only been an issue for the past couple of years so far.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    So I see -- several winter events. I'd be surprised if they sent skaters to all of them. Have they ever listed January and February non-championship events on the website at the beginning of the summer before? ...
    Yes, I am 99% sure that a good number of events scheduled for the winter and following spring typically appear on the USFS page from the very beginning of the season.

That is why I am scratching my head over the dearth of autumn events, other than JGPs and GPs. But I merely am wondering what the significance (if any) is. I don't claim to know the answer.

Yeah! Lets get this party started. enlight78's Avatar

ISU Challenger Series in Figure Skating

http://www.isu.org/en/single-and-pai...figure-skating

Do you guys believe this will increase participation in B events and possible increase revenue?

Custom Title
    That's a good question. Honestly I'd be surprised if we saw participation in these events change much for a lot of top skaters. I think priority will remain in the grand prix series, but I could imagine skaters who could use the ranking points, or skaters who realize they won't be making the final etc... could start participating a little bit more.

There is something kind of nice about seeing this sort of recognition for all these events in the fall. I certainly wouldn't mind it if this meant more skaters were inspired to compete in them. Only time will tell I guess!

Custom Title
    Also I'm curious what the value of the ranking system will hold. Will there be a prize to win at the end, or money?

There was some previous discussion of these questions here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...cation-No-1854

#TeamAUS
    I actually think it will. Lets not get negative now. Lets wait and see.... And the we can be negative about it

Quote Originally Posted by GF2445 View Post
    ISU COMMUNICATION ON THE ISU CHALLENGER SERIES ...

http://static.isu.org/media/142889/1...ril-1-2014.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Also I'm curious what the value of the ranking system will hold. Will there be a prize to win at the end, or money?
    samson: Please see the link in GF2445's post above for ISU Communication No. 1858, a five-page document that includes information such as:
    - the Challenger Series ranking
    - World Standing points
    - Prize money

ETA, see also post #21 from Doris on page 2 of this thread (which is a merger of the old and new threads).

There was some previous discussion of these questions here:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...cation-No-1854
    Thanks, BG. And thanks to the mods for merging the old and new threads.

IIRC, at the beginning of seasons past, it has had empty placeholders for several Senior Bs -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela, Coupe de Nice, and perhaps others. ...

Good news: I see today that U.S. Figure Skating has updated its assignments page -- adding empty placeholder boxes for six Challenger events (in addition to SLC).
    • Lombardia Trophy
    • Nebelhorn Trophy
    • Nepela Trophy
    • Finlandia Trophy
    • Autumn Classic Intl. (in Canada)
    • Ice Challenge

http://usfigureskating.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

Happy that BG's theory was a good one. Apologies for my pessimism/false alarm.

Custom Title
    Sorry if this is a stupid question... but if an event is part of the Challenger series, are there any minimum requirements as to which disciplines they must include in their competitions? Or do they just carry on as they always have?

For example, Finlandia Trophy hasn't included a Pairs competition since 2008 - will they be required to include Pairs, for the Challenger series?

In a similar vein - what about gala exhibitions? I don't know if Finlandia has ever held those, but the last two years they didn't...

I did try to find the answers, but the ISU site is currently showing error messages when I try to access it... and I didn't find any answers by googling... :-/

Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Sorry if this is a stupid question... but if an event is part of the Challenger series, are there any minimum requirements as to which disciplines they must include in their competitions? Or do they just carry on as they always have?

For example, Finlandia Trophy hasn't included a Pairs competition since 2008 - will they be required to include Pairs, for the Challenger series? ...
    Each International Competition ... must include at least 3 disciplines of the Figure Skating Branch (Men, Ladies, Pair Skating, Ice Dance).

per ISU Communication No. 1858

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast