"ISU Challenger Series Figure Skating" - per Communication No. 1854 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

"ISU Challenger Series Figure Skating" - per Communication No. 1854

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Here is the ISU Communication 1858, describing the series:
http://static.isu.org/media/142889/1858-challenger-series-version-april-1-2014.pdf

7. ISU CHALLENGER SERIES RANKING At the end of the ISU Challenger Series, after the last event of the season has been concluded, the two highest final scores in the up to three different ISU Challenger Series events of each competitor/couple will be added and taken into consideration to form an ISU Challenger Series Ranking which will be published on the ISU website.

8. PRIZE MONEY The top three placed Skaters/Couples of the annual ISU Challenger Series Ranking will receive ISU Prize Money as follows which will be paid to the concerned Skaters by the ISU through their respective ISU Members:
Men and Ladies:
1st place CHF 4,000.00
2nd place CHF 3,000.00
3rd place CHF 2,000.00

Pair Skating and Ice Dance:
1st place CHF 5,000.00
2nd place CHF 4,000.00
3rd place CHF 3,000.00

Better yet, competitors' scores will be placed on the alternates list for the GP, and World Ranking points higher than for a Senior B that is not part of the Challenger Series can be earned.

Competitors cannot sign up for more than 3 events.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Coupe de Nice is the same weekend as the Canadian competition. All of the other competitions are in Europe, and only two are in NA. Guess that's why Canada got the nod.

NMURA

Medalist
It's practically impossible to get enough Asian skaters (nations) lined up in pairs and ice dance disciplines. Australia and NZ have their event. They can't count on North America.

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
How will skaters be entered in these? The federation makes the decision? Or the skaters and their coaches decide?

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
Usually they have limits on number of entries per country. In a way, the federation has the final word.

That makes sense. I hope the federations take advantage of the opportunity for their skaters!

Any idea on when we might hear about who is being assigned to events? I hope the US actually gives some senior level skaters the chance to develop internationally by sending them to these comps. Skaters like Hannah Miller, Ashley Cain, Barbie Long, and Mariah Bell who are aging out of junior could benefit. It could also help new pairs gain international experience. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Yes! I'm still hopeful that Hannah, Barbie, and Mariah could end up with a substitute spot on the GP. But I really, really, really hope USFS will consider sending them to the Challenger Series.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ederations usually pay to send skaters to these events, so yes, it's up to the federations which skaters get sent. In some cases where the federation doesn't have the $$ the skaters have to pay the expenses (this may be true for some of the smaller European countries). USFS looks at Nationals placement and results from summer comps and monitoring sessions when assigning skaters to B events.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
That makes sense. I hope the federations take advantage of the opportunity for their skaters!

Yes! I'm still hopeful that Hannah, Barbie, and Mariah could end up with a substitute spot on the GP. But I really, really, really hope USFS will consider sending them to the Challenger Series.

But I am wondering whether U.S. Figure Skating and Skate Canada will be sending skaters to fewer Senior Bs this autumn for some reason related to the new Challenger Series???

For the new season, the USFS assignments page has empty placeholder slots only for SLC.
IIRC, at the beginning of seasons past, it has had empty placeholders for several Senior Bs -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela, Coupe de Nice, and perhaps others.

ETA, see post #43 below for an update re USFS.​

Skate Canada's assignments page has placeholder slots only for SLC, Nebelhorn, and its own new Autumn Classic. None for Finlandia, Nepela, etc.

(Coupe de Nice is not in the Challenger Series, but the others are.)

breathesgelatin

Final Flight
But I am wondering whether U.S. Figure Skating and Skate Canada will be sending skaters to fewer Senior Bs this autumn for some reason related to the new Challenger Series???

For the new season, the USFS assignments page has empty placeholder slots only for SLC.
IIRC, at the beginning of seasons past, it has had empty placeholder for several Senior Bs -- Nebelhorn, Finlandia, Nepela, Coupe de Nice, and perhaps others.

Skate Canada's assignments page has placeholder slots only for SLC, Nebelhorn, and its own new Autumn Classic. None for Finlandia, Nepela, etc.

(Coupe de Nice is not in the Challenger Series, but the others are.)

Well, that would suck, if the net result was fewer international opportunities for US Skaters! Not to mention counter-intuitive.

One alternate theory: Since they just found out which events will be part of the Challenger Series, they didn't even know which ones to list on the site since the Challenger Series will be the primary focus in the fall.

Total speculation, of course.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Also, it's not uncommon to wait and see who excels at summer comps before making all the assignments.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Well, that would suck, if the net result was fewer international opportunities for US Skaters! Not to mention counter-intuitive.

One alternate theory: Since they just found out which events will be part of the Challenger Series, they didn't even know which ones to list on the site since the Challenger Series will be the primary focus in the fall.

Total speculation, of course.

Hope that your alternate theory turns out to be correct, BG. :)

Also, it's not uncommon to wait and see who excels at summer comps before making all the assignments.

Yes ... but what I am saying is that even at this early stage of the (pre-)season, usually USFS and Skate Canada have Finlandia (for example) listed on their assignment pages. The name of the event has been there, although skater names don't get filled in until later, as you say.

USFS already has Mozart Cup listed for Jan 2015, for example ...

gkelly

Record Breaker
USFS already has Mozart Cup listed for Jan 2015, for example ...

So I see -- several winter events. I'd be surprised if they sent skaters to all of them. Have they ever listed January and February non-championship events on the website at the beginning of the summer before? My guess is they're anticipating that they may need to send some skaters who do well at Nationals to an international event to get minimum technical scores needed for Four Continents, Jr Worlds, or Worlds, which has only been an issue for the past couple of years so far.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So I see -- several winter events. I'd be surprised if they sent skaters to all of them. Have they ever listed January and February non-championship events on the website at the beginning of the summer before? ...

Yes, I am 99% sure that a good number of events scheduled for the winter and following spring typically appear on the USFS page from the very beginning of the season.

That is why I am scratching my head over the dearth of autumn events, other than JGPs and GPs. :think: But I merely am wondering what the significance (if any) is. I don't claim to know the answer.

samson

Medalist
That's a good question. Honestly I'd be surprised if we saw participation in these events change much for a lot of top skaters. I think priority will remain in the grand prix series, but I could imagine skaters who could use the ranking points, or skaters who realize they won't be making the final etc... could start participating a little bit more.

There is something kind of nice about seeing this sort of recognition for all these events in the fall. I certainly wouldn't mind it if this meant more skaters were inspired to compete in them. Only time will tell I guess!

samson

Medalist
Also I'm curious what the value of the ranking system will hold. Will there be a prize to win at the end, or money?