Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: "ISU Challenger Series Figure Skating" - per Communication No. 1854

Any thoughts as to whether these might be included on IceNetwork? Probably just wishful thinking I know...

Custom Title
    The Salt Lake City event will probably be shown on IceNetwork. Probably not the overseas events.

Custom Title
    Definitely surprised Coupe de Nice didn't do what they had to do to meet the criteria to be a part of this series. Surely they would meet the requirement in terms of number of entries. It didn't seem the other requirements were all that difficult to fulfill, but I guess they were.

Tripping on the Podium
    I was happy to see that Canada has one in addition to the US. That's nice for skaters training in North America. I really like that we have more competitions to follow. I'm interested to see if this helps some skaters transition to the senior GP from the junior GP. There are so many talented skaters who never get a GP invite, so maybe this will make more skaters visible to the public eye (which IMO is never a bad thing).

Any idea on when we might hear about who is being assigned to events? I hope the US actually gives some senior level skaters the chance to develop internationally by sending them to these comps. Skaters like Hannah Miller, Ashley Cain, Barbie Long, and Mariah Bell who are aging out of junior could benefit. It could also help new pairs gain international experience. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.

If someone could explain something to me, I'm a little confused though. Is there an overall prize? Since it's a series, I would think there would need to be some incentive, besides prize money at individual events, to compete in multiple events.

A Senior B in Canada is a wonderful event, yes!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Here is the ISU Communication 1858, describing the series:
    http://static.isu.org/media/142889/1...ril-1-2014.pdf

7. ISU CHALLENGER SERIES RANKING At the end of the ISU Challenger Series, after the last event of the season has been concluded, the two highest final scores in the up to three different ISU Challenger Series events of each competitor/couple will be added and taken into consideration to form an ISU Challenger Series Ranking which will be published on the ISU website.

8. PRIZE MONEY The top three placed Skaters/Couples of the annual ISU Challenger Series Ranking will receive ISU Prize Money as follows which will be paid to the concerned Skaters by the ISU through their respective ISU Members:
    Men and Ladies:
    1st place CHF 4,000.00
    2nd place CHF 3,000.00
    3rd place CHF 2,000.00

Pair Skating and Ice Dance:
    1st place CHF 5,000.00
    2nd place CHF 4,000.00
    3rd place CHF 3,000.00
    Better yet, competitors' scores will be placed on the alternates list for the GP, and World Ranking points higher than for a Senior B that is not part of the Challenger Series can be earned.

Competitors cannot sign up for more than 3 events.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 06-25-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiKike View Post
    Surprised to NOT see Coupe de Nice or NRW Trophy among the challenger events. They are two of the largest Senior B's around.
    I guess Germany had to choose between Nebelhorn and NRW.

Custom Title
    Coupe de Nice is the same weekend as the Canadian competition. All of the other competitions are in Europe, and only two are in NA. Guess that's why Canada got the nod.

Rinkside
    I wonder why none in Asia. Any idea?

On hiatus
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticice View Post
    I wonder why none in Asia. Any idea?
    I was wondering about that too. I thought they would at least include the Asian Trophy.

Custom Title
    It's practically impossible to get enough Asian skaters (nations) lined up in pairs and ice dance disciplines. Australia and NZ have their event. They can't count on North America.

How will skaters be entered in these? The federation makes the decision? Or the skaters and their coaches decide?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by breathesgelatin View Post
    How will skaters be entered in these? The federation makes the decision? Or the skaters and their coaches decide?
    Usually they have limits on number of entries per country. In a way, the federation has the final word.

Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    Usually they have limits on number of entries per country. In a way, the federation has the final word.
    That makes sense. I hope the federations take advantage of the opportunity for their skaters!

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyAFan View Post
    Any idea on when we might hear about who is being assigned to events? I hope the US actually gives some senior level skaters the chance to develop internationally by sending them to these comps. Skaters like Hannah Miller, Ashley Cain, Barbie Long, and Mariah Bell who are aging out of junior could benefit. It could also help new pairs gain international experience. Looking forward to seeing how it all plays out.
    Yes! I'm still hopeful that Hannah, Barbie, and Mariah could end up with a substitute spot on the GP. But I really, really, really hope USFS will consider sending them to the Challenger Series.

Custom Title
    ederations usually pay to send skaters to these events, so yes, it's up to the federations which skaters get sent. In some cases where the federation doesn't have the $$ the skaters have to pay the expenses (this may be true for some of the smaller European countries). USFS looks at Nationals placement and results from summer comps and monitoring sessions when assigning skaters to B events.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast