Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: PCS of Japanese Skaters

Bored

PCS of Japanese Skaters

The World Championship this year is going to be a feast for fans of Japanese skaters but there are often complaints about their low PCS. Is it really a problem or just a myth?

Custom Title
    I am counting days for Yuzuru to break 300+ in men's singles. If he achieves that before he burns out in a couple years, I think that record will be secure for a quite some time. Though I am not really a fan of his opening 4S because it's just obvious that he's tossing a coin every time he does it because it's a plus whether he lands it or not.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    There are some underscored japanese skaters, some rightfully scored, some argueably overscored - just as it is with skaters from all different nations. It's more of a reputation thing.

Takahashi was at the short end of the stick (compared to Chan) for a while, but these days, he's PCS are huge (rightfully, IMO). Hanyu deserves his SP PCS, but his LP PCS at the Olympics for example were too high. Kozuka, or these days Machida argueably, are among the most famous examples of constant PCS underscoring.
    On the ladies side, Suzuki and Murakami could be called undermarked. Asada is definitly not undermarked compared to the majority of skaters, but it gets trickier comparing her to Kostner or Kim, or as of these Olympics, the russian + Gold (which was more of overscoring on the latters part).

Custom Title
    Japanese Skaters always get good PCS. Never been low.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    The World Championship this year is going to be a feast for fans of Japanese skaters but there are often complaints about their low PCS. Is it really a problem or just a myth?
    This is a very difficult issue. Some days yes. Other days no. Some skaters more or less so than others. A lot seems to depend on where the event is and who they are competing against.

Biggest factors seems to be that judging does have its biases based on where the event is being held and who the locals like.

Also, although I do think that Hanyu used to have that problem (and he probably still will if he was to compete against Chan in Canada), I don't think he generally does now pretty well anywhere. Maybe he can be separated out from the issue. Kozuka gets screwed a lot and I think he always will (but only outside of Japan). Oda even got screwed in Japan (at NHK this year and for his short at the Japanese Nationals no less). The women never had a chance at Sochi. People can say that the judging is done fairly because international judges are chosen, but you just have to look at the results.

So, ya, a lot of crap happens with the judging. I get the impression that ISU and the Federations want it that way though.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Anna K. View Post
    For sure not Hanyu since December 2013!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by will74lsn View Post
    For sure not Hanyu since December 2013!
    I thought Hanyu was underscored in PCs even during the beginning of the reason. But then again, he had a "poor" LP at Skate Canada and had PCs of 76, which is arguably around "right". I think even at his worst, he deserves PCs in the low to mid 80s (same range as Javier).

Custom Title
    Kanako has always been undermarked.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PftJump View Post
    Japanese Skaters always get good PCS. Never been low.
    really? Kozuka always gets low PCS even though he has one of the best SS along with Patrick Chan.

Bored
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post

I get the impression that ISU and the Federations want it that way though.
    Honestly, I don’t get where Japanese federation stands regarding this. There are three countries that constantly have 1-2 (sometimes more) clearly PCS inflated skaters: Canada, Russia, and US. That makes sense. Having a gold medal in hand attracts the attention of public and brings in money. These are big countries so this is big money. But Japan in no poor country, too, and figure skating is really popular here! They could invest either in the existing system or in changes. So the question is, what do they want? Do they want not?

Or, the problem is simply that there are only 3 places on the podium and Japan is the number 4

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    really? Kozuka always gets low PCS even though he has one of the best SS along with Patrick Chan.
    Kozuka has great skating skills, good speed, soft knees, but I don't think his edge quality is comparable to Takahashi or Chan. His FS was underscored back at 2011 worlds. He should've got at least 85 for PCS. As for skating skills, I think only Takahashi and Chan deserve 9+, given they skate cleanly. Chan probablly deserves 9.5+.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by volk View Post
    Totally. Although I think in Sochi she was marked pretty fairly.

Banned
    Who cares if they get inflated scores. They deserve it after Russian skaters getting about 20 points higher than they deserved just for being in Russia in some cases, and lord knows Japan has done a heck of alot more for the sport than Russia ever has these last 8 years. They should throw more of a Japanese inflation party than usual to throw it right back in Mother Russia's face if anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    Kozuka, or these days Machida argueably, are among the most famous examples of constant PCS underscoring.
    Kozuka is inconsistent so doesnt usually give judges the chance to give him high PCS. Machida is pretty boring and I can totally understand his PCS.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast