IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview | Page 2 | Golden Skate

IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did this really happen? Is there a way to verify it besides a posting to you tube?
I'm not really into the "internets" so I'm not sure as to what you're implying here;)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Just when I thought we all accepted (but don't necessarily agree upon) the result, this happens ... it's just so odd, enough to at least raise suspicions.

Denmark?

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Just when I thought we all accepted (but don't necessarily agree upon) the result, this happens ... it's just so odd, enough to at least raise suspicions.

Denmark?

LOL I like your elliptical style....something is rotten in the............

phaeljones

On the Ice
. . . Kim's management agency said that no such interview ever took place, nor did Yuna ever make any such statements and that it is preparing to issue an appropriate response. . . .

Was she ever asked about the situation? If she was, perhaps it's just a mistranslation?

The appropriate response will likely provide more detail, but the indication from the management company so far is that no interview ever took place, meaning that there was nothing to mistranslate.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The appropriate response will likely provide more detail, but the indication from the management company so far is that no interview ever took place, meaning that there was nothing to mistranslate.

At best, a new intern in the PR department just wrote something as a placeholder and it didn't get vetted out from the editorial copy to the final copy.
At worst, it indicates that the result was predetermined and this may be evidence thereof.

[puts on tin foil hat]

verysmuchso

On the Ice
Was she ever asked about the situation? If she was, perhaps it's just a mistranslation?
All That Sports, Yuna's agency, is denying that the interview ever took place.

At best, a new intern in the PR department just wrote something as a placeholder and it didn't get vetted out from the editorial copy to the final copy.
At worst, it indicates that the result was predetermined and this may be evidence thereof.

[puts on tin foil hat]
The editorial copy in which 'the reign Oly champ who inspired young skaters so much in the Innsbruk Youth Olympics now magnanimously passes her crown to just one of these young skaters'? I'm so moved to tears? I don't live in such a perfect world, but the IOC seemingly strives to make one such world.

anyanka

Record Breaker
The editorial copy in which 'the reign Oly champ who inspired young skaters so much in the Innsbruk Youth Olympics now magnanimously passes her crown to just one of these young skaters'? I'm so moved to tears? I don't live in such a perfect world, but the IOC seemingly strives to make one such world.

I'm so confused! My reaction ranges from "OMG!" to "isn't that unfortunate?" to "***?" to ... this is still exhausting me. I'm tired even THINKING about this!!

Time it takes to recover from ladies' Olympic free skate is no longer a two-week gestation period, it is more like several weeks with periodic visits to an analyst to discuss.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
I'm so confused! My reaction ranges from "OMG!" to "isn't that unfortunate?" to "***?" to ... this is still exhausting me. I'm tired even THINKING about this!!

Time it takes to recover from ladies' Olympic free skate is no longer a two-week gestation period, it is more like several weeks with periodic visits to an analyst to discuss.
I know right? I'm exhausted too.

Cerulean

Rinkside
What the IOC did is pretty reprehensible. Speaking as a journalist, it is true that you prepare articles ahead of time but you never ever put in a fabricated quote as a place holder. That is an absolute no no. If a quote is to be added later, that sentence should have been marked clearly with XXX or "add quote" or some such notation that clearly shows the purpose of the place holder.

And to change an article without a correction when a high-profile athlete had words literally put in her mouth is unacceptable. IOC, at the least, needs to provide an explanation and extend a full apology. I am appalled with their lack of professionalism and their disregard for integrity.

gmyers

Record Breaker
What the IOC did is pretty reprehensible. Speaking as a journalist, it is true that you prepare articles ahead of time but you never ever put in a fabricated quote as a place holder. That is an absolute no no. If a quote is to be added later, that sentence should have been marked clearly with XXX or "add quote" or some such notation that clearly shows the purpose of the place holder.

And to change an article without a correction when a high-profile athlete had words literally put in her mouth is unacceptable. IOC, at the least, needs to provide an explanation and extend a full apology. I am appalled with their lack of professionalism and their disregard for integrity.

It is the IOC press release. Journalistic standards or pr standards? The writer is a mystery and not being revealed and their work was taken down and edited.

shellbell757

Rinkside

The IOC (or the ISU) are hardly models of professionalism or integrity in the first place, so I doubt anyone will be shocked over this latest transgression.

katonice

On the Ice
And here IOC was trying to wash their hands of the matter. This hardly speaks of impartiality on their part regarding what happened.

MiRé

Match Penalty
Yuna doesnt deserve this. She wants to retire but all the media on her boyfriend and now this? Can't a girl just enjoy a normal life for once?

parma

On the Ice
Did this really happen? Is there a way to verify it besides a posting to you tube?

The allegedly false article was published at the Youth Olympics site. IOC is apparently concerned that the judging controversy may leave bad impression of the Games on kids and potential future Olympians.

YunaBliss

On the Ice
The allegedly false article was published at the Youth Olympics site. IOC is apparently concerned that the judging controversy may leave bad impression of the Games on kids and potential future Olympians.

Then IOC should not have yielded to Putin. You can't eat your cake and have it.

anyanka

Record Breaker

Golf claps, well said!

observe

Rinkside
So you're saying Yuna would never be so gracious to a fellow competitor? :think:

She has been by limiting her comments. The problem is that the IOC seems to be devaluing other skaters on the podium to quiet the controversy down, like the comments on their short program highlight video where Yuna's 3lz-3t became 3lz-2t and 3f-3t by Kostner became 3t-3t then not mentioning Sotnikova's easier 3t-3t combination.