IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview | Golden Skate

IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview

verysmuchso

On the Ice
The IOC apparently published an article entitled "Golden Girl", on March 4, at its website where Yuna Kim is quoted saying "She (Sotnikova) is highly technically skater and was very difficult to beat tonight.......We both battled for gold tonight but she managed to come out on top." Kim's management agency said that no such interview ever took place, nor did Yuna ever make any such statements and that it is preparing to issue an appropriate response. The article has been since then revised to remove the fake quotes. But, we can see the original article in the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz2wVLw0O3c

Read: http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014...-kim-yu-na-praising-adelina-sotnikova/358956/

Curiouser and curiouser!

bebevia

On the Ice
So you're saying Yuna would never be so gracious to a fellow competitor? :think:
Why is this suddenly Yuna's fault? Guys, fabricating an interview to defend a position is a fraud, especially in such a sensitive circumstance, and it's coming from IOC. Same with anyone. If IOC announces that Sotnikova said "Russia and its judges conspired for my medal", and turns out false, that would also be a fraud.

Yuna didn't officially protest, said she's not getting her hands in this. Instead of it being appreciated, she was politically abused. Why is she supposed to let this one go? Plus, there's a brand new situation happening every time.

BTW, while they had time to "correct" the article, they still have the official video that misinforms the jumps the medalists performed.

caelum

On the Ice
Yeah, I was reading the Atlantic Wire a few minutes ago and caught the story. The worst part is, when the IOC made the correction - they didn't acknowledge their initial mistake (assuming it was a mistake), which is both unethical and stupid.

Jump

Rinkside
It's crazy we have posters here who think it's ok for professional organization such as the IOC to fabricate and make up fake quotes by athletes. It's irrelevant the IOC has corrected and pulled the quote. Such outright lie should have never been posted on an official site. Who in the IOC thought it would be OK and good idea to make up fake quotes and post it for the world to see?

verysmuchso

On the Ice
This almost feels like an 'advancer,' you know those obituaries newspapers write in advance, when some famous people appear at risk, healthwise. In this case, they just forgot or failed to actually interview her and press for a statement to this effect. If so, the interesting question would be how certain IOC was that Kim will lose to Sotnikova, and what made them so sure.

Julie K.

Rinkside
The IOC apparently published an article entitled "Golden Girl", on March 4, at its website where Yuna Kim is quoted saying "She (Sotnikova) is highly technically skater and was very difficult to beat tonight.......We both battled for gold tonight but she managed to come out on top." Kim's management agency said that no such interview ever took place, nor did Yuna ever make any such statements and that it is preparing to issue an appropriate response.

The greatest benefit of Sochi Olympics was that the world vividly learned who Russia is, corrupted and manipulative. In addition, IOC is not better.

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Okay. I watched the video link.

My problem with the video is that it never shows the URL of the webpage that this unknown YouTube user screen-filmed. So I looked up this article to see if it was a legitimate article, and it is. There is no mention of the quote (liked the OP said: "it was taken down"), but I still have a problem with the video because, like I said, the URL of the webpage was never shown.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible that writers for the IOC wrote in a false quote published the article, but how do we not know that a well-meaning, but misaligned fan didn't just click "save as" on the article and just change up the html to make it seem like the IOC wrote it? And hid the URL because it would probably be located back to his/her hard drive (e.g. C:\\) than the URL?

And if this did happen, I'm a little disappointed that the IOC didn't write an "update" or "edit" section in the article.

gmyers

Record Breaker
The writer was credited so IOC will have to tell but its already been removed so its been dealt with and it is over and the quote that was on for a day is no longer there. I agree that it was probably a place holder quote just made up by a writer wanting a quote about it from Yuna. This is not the issue and it is over already. Taking Sotnikova's gold away will come from proof of corruption.

phaeljones

On the Ice
The writer was credited so IOC will have to tell but its already been removed so its been dealt with and it is over and the quote that was on for a day is no longer there. I agree that it was probably a place holder quote just made up by a writer wanting a quote about it from Yuna. This is not the issue and it is over already. Taking Sotnikova's gold away will come from proof of corruption.

I think that the ioc is going to have to do better than that or this will not die.

bebevia

On the Ice
I'm not saying that it isn't possible that writers for the IOC wrote in a false quote published the article, but how do we not know that a well-meaning, but misaligned fan didn't just click "save as" on the article and just change up the html to make it seem like the IOC wrote it? And hid the URL because it would probably be located back to his/her hard drive (e.g. C:\\) than the URL?
I too read the original article. I didn't respond much until Yuna's agency denied. It was after then that I reread and saw the quote disappeared.

verysmuchso

On the Ice
My problem with the video is that it never shows the URL of the webpage that this unknown YouTube user screen-filmed. So I looked up this article to see if it was a legitimate article, and it is. There is no mention of the quote (liked the OP said: "it was taken down"), but I still have a problem with the video because, like I said, the URL of the webpage was never shown.

And if this did happen, I'm a little disappointed that the IOC didn't write an "update" or "edit" section in the article.

Did this really happen? Is there a way to verify it besides a posting to you tube?
There is this report from The Wire
http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014...-kim-yu-na-praising-adelina-sotnikova/358956/
and I'm looking for a full screen shot.