Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview

Did this really happen? Is there a way to verify it besides a posting to you tube?

Custom Title
    The writer was credited so IOC will have to tell but its already been removed so its been dealt with and it is over and the quote that was on for a day is no longer there. I agree that it was probably a place holder quote just made up by a writer wanting a quote about it from Yuna. This is not the issue and it is over already. Taking Sotnikova's gold away will come from proof of corruption.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    The writer was credited so IOC will have to tell but its already been removed so its been dealt with and it is over and the quote that was on for a day is no longer there. I agree that it was probably a place holder quote just made up by a writer wanting a quote about it from Yuna. This is not the issue and it is over already. Taking Sotnikova's gold away will come from proof of corruption.
    I think that the ioc is going to have to do better than that or this will not die.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I'm not saying that it isn't possible that writers for the IOC wrote in a false quote published the article, but how do we not know that a well-meaning, but misaligned fan didn't just click "save as" on the article and just change up the html to make it seem like the IOC wrote it? And hid the URL because it would probably be located back to his/her hard drive (e.g. C:\\) than the URL?
    I too read the original article. I didn't respond much until Yuna's agency denied. It was after then that I reread and saw the quote disappeared.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    My problem with the video is that it never shows the URL of the webpage that this unknown YouTube user screen-filmed. So I looked up this article to see if it was a legitimate article, and it is. There is no mention of the quote (liked the OP said: "it was taken down"), but I still have a problem with the video because, like I said, the URL of the webpage was never shown.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible that writers for the IOC wrote in a false quote published the article, but how do we not know that a well-meaning, but misaligned fan didn't just click "save as" on the article and just change up the html to make it seem like the IOC wrote it? And hid the URL because it would probably be located back to his/her hard drive (e.g. C:\\) than the URL?

And if this did happen, I'm a little disappointed that the IOC didn't write an "update" or "edit" section in the article.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Did this really happen? Is there a way to verify it besides a posting to you tube?
    There is this report from The Wire
    http://www.thewire.com/culture/2014/...nikova/358956/
    and I'm looking for a full screen shot.

Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I'm not really into the "internets" so I'm not sure as to what you're implying here

Custom Title
    Just when I thought we all accepted (but don't necessarily agree upon) the result, this happens ... it's just so odd, enough to at least raise suspicions.

Denmark?

Quote Originally Posted by anyanka View Post
    Just when I thought we all accepted (but don't necessarily agree upon) the result, this happens ... it's just so odd, enough to at least raise suspicions.

Denmark?
    LOL I like your elliptical style....something is rotten in the............

Custom Title
    Was she ever asked about the situation? If she was, perhaps it's just a mistranslation?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    . . . Kim's management agency said that no such interview ever took place, nor did Yuna ever make any such statements and that it is preparing to issue an appropriate response. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    Was she ever asked about the situation? If she was, perhaps it's just a mistranslation?
    The appropriate response will likely provide more detail, but the indication from the management company so far is that no interview ever took place, meaning that there was nothing to mistranslate.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by phaeljones View Post
    The appropriate response will likely provide more detail, but the indication from the management company so far is that no interview ever took place, meaning that there was nothing to mistranslate.
    At best, a new intern in the PR department just wrote something as a placeholder and it didn't get vetted out from the editorial copy to the final copy.
    At worst, it indicates that the result was predetermined and this may be evidence thereof.

[puts on tin foil hat]

Quote Originally Posted by chloepoco View Post
    All That Sports, Yuna's agency, is denying that the interview ever took place.

At best, a new intern in the PR department just wrote something as a placeholder and it didn't get vetted out from the editorial copy to the final copy.
    At worst, it indicates that the result was predetermined and this may be evidence thereof.

[puts on tin foil hat]
    The editorial copy in which 'the reign Oly champ who inspired young skaters so much in the Innsbruk Youth Olympics now magnanimously passes her crown to just one of these young skaters'? I'm so moved to tears? I don't live in such a perfect world, but the IOC seemingly strives to make one such world.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    The editorial copy in which 'the reign Oly champ who inspired young skaters so much in the Innsbruk Youth Olympics now magnanimously passes her crown to just one of these young skaters'? I'm so moved to tears? I don't live in such a perfect world, but the IOC seemingly strives to make one such world.
    I'm so confused! My reaction ranges from "OMG!" to "isn't that unfortunate?" to "***?" to ... this is still exhausting me. I'm tired even THINKING about this!!

Time it takes to recover from ladies' Olympic free skate is no longer a two-week gestation period, it is more like several weeks with periodic visits to an analyst to discuss.

I'm so confused! My reaction ranges from "OMG!" to "isn't that unfortunate?" to "***?" to ... this is still exhausting me. I'm tired even THINKING about this!!

Time it takes to recover from ladies' Olympic free skate is no longer a two-week gestation period, it is more like several weeks with periodic visits to an analyst to discuss.
    I know right? I'm exhausted too.

Tripping on the Podium
    Brian Orser is now my favorite Canadian, after Ike.
    What the IOC did is pretty reprehensible. Speaking as a journalist, it is true that you prepare articles ahead of time but you never ever put in a fabricated quote as a place holder. That is an absolute no no. If a quote is to be added later, that sentence should have been marked clearly with XXX or "add quote" or some such notation that clearly shows the purpose of the place holder.

And to change an article without a correction when a high-profile athlete had words literally put in her mouth is unacceptable. IOC, at the least, needs to provide an explanation and extend a full apology. I am appalled with their lack of professionalism and their disregard for integrity.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast