Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IOC claims Yuna Kim conceded defeat based on a fabricated interview

Quote Originally Posted by Melon View Post
    Yuna doesnt deserve this. She wants to retire but all the media on her boyfriend and now this? Can't a girl just enjoy a normal life for once?

For those who're still skeptical, here is the link to the google cache of the IOC article:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

And thanks Yuki for giving me the idea!

Isn't it kinda ironic that they're reawakening the issue they're trying to cover up? And by proving they're losing integrity no less. LOL
    IMO, they should apologize to Yuna for officially PUBLISHING a made-up interview. That's very low and wrong for an organization trying to inspire young athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    Isn't it kinda ironic that they're reawakening the issue they're trying to cover up? And by proving they're losing integrity no less. LOL
    IMO, they should apologize to Yuna for officially PUBLISHING a made-up interview. That's very low and wrong for an organization trying to inspire young athletes.
    I think they're going fo the "keep quiet and hope it'll go away" strategy. I don't know what they could say that wouldn't make the situation worse. "We're sorry that we published a made-up interview" = "we made up an interview and basically lied". There's no explaining that away.

Quote Originally Posted by verysmuchso View Post
    For those who're still skeptical, here is the link to the google cache of the IOC article:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&oe=utf-8&aq=t

And thanks Yuki for giving me the idea!
    I follwed the link, which captures the official Olympic website article and reads: On 20 February 2014, in front of an enraptured crowd in Sochi’s Iceberg Skating Palace, Sotnikova finished ahead of Kim to secure gold. “It’s a dream, an absolute dream!” she exclaimed. “The Games are being held in my own country and I’ve won a gold medal – it’s a very special feeling that I’ll remember for the rest of my life.” Kim was magnanimous in defeat: “She put on a great show,” said the Korean of her young Russian rival. “She’s a highly technical skater and was very difficult to beat tonight. I saw her in Innsbruck as part of my role as Games ambassador. We both battled for gold tonight, but she managed to come out on top.”

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie K. View Post
    I follwed the link, which captures the official Olympic website article and reads: On 20 February 2014, in front of an enraptured crowd in Sochi’s Iceberg Skating Palace, Sotnikova finished ahead of Kim to secure gold. “It’s a dream, an absolute dream!” she exclaimed. “The Games are being held in my own country and I’ve won a gold medal – it’s a very special feeling that I’ll remember for the rest of my life.” Kim was magnanimous in defeat: “She put on a great show,” said the Korean of her young Russian rival. “She’s a highly technical skater and was very difficult to beat tonight. I saw her in Innsbruck as part of my role as Games ambassador. We both battled for gold tonight, but she managed to come out on top.”
    IOC might not been accounted for this fishy action, the organization is big and there're lots of people working each sport so it's really difficult to tell where the corruption lie. Maybe the one who wrote the article fabricated it or misquoted it from an unreliable source and people at the IOC just went with it, but who knows. Terrible journalism ethics nevertheless. The whole situation is really fishy anyways. Can't believe people these days.

Down With It
    Doesn't exactly give one a warm and fuzzy feeling, does it? ... I was also skeptical at first

Then again, I'm not surprised.

Custom Title
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

This is so, so, so shady. I don't know how anyone is able to find valid reasoning to defend or explain the IOC's actions. Anyone chalking it up to "bad journalism ethics" is really trying to come up with far-fetched excuses. I'm pretty sure you don't have to take Journalism 101 to know you don't make up stuff (along with not plagiarizing other people's works). This is the IOC people! We're not dealing with some dinky, low-budget non-profit firm. If in some alternate universe the IOC did have an intern/inexperienced writer write this, well then I'd be wondering why the IOC has such incompetent people working in their communications division, and why no manager is proof-reading drafts that gets sent to the press. Either way, this entire situation stinks to high heavens.

I particularly like how the IOC's fabricated statement made sure to re-emphasize the red herring that Adelina won because she had a harder program. Jesus.

Say no to horrendous costumes Meoima's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lilahozi View Post
    The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

This is so, so, so shady. I don't know how anyone is able to find valid reasoning to defend or explain the IOC's actions. Anyone chalking it up to "bad journalism ethics" is really trying to come up with far-fetched excuses. I'm pretty sure you don't have to take Journalism 101 to know you don't make up stuff (along with not plagiarizing other people's works). This is the IOC people! We're not dealing with some dinky, low-budget non-profit firm. If in some alternate universe the IOC did have an intern draft this, well then I'd be wondering why the IOC has such incompetent people working in their communications division. Either way, this entire situation stinks to high heavens.

I particularly like how the IOC's fabricated statement made sure to re-emphasize the red herring that Adelina won because she had a harder program. Jesus.
    I don't work for IOC, why should I find excuses for their actions? Seriously I had to Google to know what IOC stands for. The whole thing sounds very shady, very fishy indeed. But other than this there is no more obvious proof that I can find, so I just don't quickly jump to a harsh conclusion right away. IOC is not one person, you know. The writer might get paid by certain someone to fabricated the quote, or he/she just misquoted it from an unreliable sources, we can never tell for sure, can't we? That does not mean the whole IOC is corrupted. It's common sense.

Quote Originally Posted by TMC View Post
    I think they're going fo the "keep quiet and hope it'll go away" strategy. I don't know what they could say that wouldn't make the situation worse. "We're sorry that we published a made-up interview" = "we made up an interview and basically lied". There's no explaining that away.
    One thing that wouldn't make the situation worse is by NOT publishing made-up interviews. XD They're trying to make this issue just go away but somehow it backfired. lol

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Meoima View Post
    IOC might not been accounted for this fishy action, the organization is big and there're lots of people working each sport so it's really difficult to tell where the corruption lie. Maybe the one who wrote the article fabricated it or misquoted it from an unreliable source and people at the IOC just went with it, but who knows. Terrible journalism ethics nevertheless. The whole situation is really fishy anyways. Can't believe people these days.
    Angry as I am, I have to agree with your take on it and wait until we learn more. In a large organization, sometimes some junior person sends out a communication that hasn't been seen by anyone else. The management of the IOC can't proofread every document, and they can't fact-check everything either. Some years ago, an author published a book that everyone praised. Then an older reader thought that it sounded familiar. She traced large passages of the book, to an obscure novel by Elizabeth Goudge, long out of print. There's no way that the publisher would have thought to compare the manuscript of the new book to a decades-old work that had never been prominent even when it was in print. The fault was entirely that of the author who committed the plagiarism. That's an extreme example, but it does go to show that a large organization can't keep an eye on everything.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie K. View Post
    The greatest benefit of Sochi Olympics was that the world vividly learned who Russia is, corrupted and manipulative. In addition, IOC is not better.

Julie K., what if these Olympics were in the US, would you have the same opinion? Just say that an American skater won under the same circumstances, would you have the same opinion of America as you do Russia, corrupted and manipulative.
    I don't think so!!.

The world wasn't watching figure skating, only a select few. I live in Canada and I listen to the news .....I have yet to hear any propaganda of how Russia is corrupt and manipulative because of the outcome in figure skating at the Sochi games.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by millie View Post
    Julie K., what if these Olympics were in the US, would you have the same opinion? Just say that an American skater won under the same circumstances, would you have the same opinion of America as you do Russia, corrupted and manipulative.
    I don't think so!!.
    ...But this Olympics already started with a bidding bribery :(
    If the same scandal happened in the US, the same thing would've been said, and had been said. People don't hate Russia or Adelina, but hate what happened here.

On the Ice
    This kind of stuff really makes it hard to be a Figure Skating fan. I'm sure it's even harder on the Figure Skaters themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jenm View Post
    One thing that wouldn't make the situation worse is by NOT publishing made-up interviews. XD They're trying to make this issue just go away but somehow it backfired. lol
    By situation, I meant this situation where they have been caught fabricating statements

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast