Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov

mintx

On the Ice
Johnny has changed is name on twitter from Johnny Weir Veronov back to Johnny G Weir and removed references to his husband. He said he has a sad announcement coming soon and he wants to speak to Ellen and Oprah. I feel bad for him.

He posted this tweet on the 13th
Johnny Weir ‏@JohnnyGWeir · Mar 13
Sometimes, life gets scary. The best we can do is throw that chin to the wind, wipe away the doubts, and stomp on.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
oh, they will divorce over the bite? and I was thinking the defense would just be unnecessary roughness,:popcorn: well, we knew marriage to johnny would be challenging...diva/devo.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Oh please, it's Daily Mail, for God's sake. Godmother of all tabloids. So they divorce, their business. Poor Johnny but... It's not our lives anyways.:biggrin:

BlackPack

Medalist
On his Twitter Johnny says he only wants to talk about it with Oprah or Ellen. :rolleye: :rolleye: :rolleye:

Exactly:biggrin: Johnny better be prepared to support his man! I can't imagine any decent law firm would want their attorneys in that kind of publicity.

Sigh. Johnny was very talented skater who didn't develop as artistically thoroughly as I thought he could. He developed a stage persona and fluff. The pity party of "I can't believe I finished 6th" was off-putting too. Simple choreography and jump content - what did he expect? There are guys who put their bones and hips on the line to attempt things he didn't think he need because.... he was so artistic? No, he wasn't.

brownian

Match Penalty
I've never understood the fascination with Johhny Weir. Yes, he is campy and flamboyant. He's not particularly attractive or interesting...just campy and flamboyant. I found his "commentary" with Tara Lipinski to be banal and not informative whatsoever in Sochi. They clearly had favorites and were not impartial whatsoever. Regarding his personal life, it's not unexpected that he lives like a clown considering he actively tries to look like one. Anyway, he was a mediocre skater when he skated competitively and has been a forgettable D-list celebrity since.

Matilda

Medalist
I'm very suspicious about the whole court case. First of all, Victor tweeted an image of the court filing while Johnny was in Sochi, asking twitter followers for "advice" in the matter. ***?!? That is strange behavior. He deleted it later.

Secondly, biting is not usually a means of attack, but defense--as in being held tight so biting is your only option to get freed. Not saying this is what happened, but while Johnny is an athlete and a strong man, Victor is seriously buffed himself. Also Victor is the one who is on record for battery (I did some googling when someone referred to this on FSU and found this: http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/home....nov/pnamefirst:victor/qfields:8199/pcsform:1/ )

Finally, Johnny has not talked about the issue at all--this is clearly not the kind of publicity he wanted after a lot of positive attention and signing up with a huge agency etc. A few days ago he quietly changed his twitter and IG profile back to Johnny Weir and deleted the marriage information. He is probably making an official announcement today, but he has likely already made arrangements for that. The Ellen and Oprah bit sounds to me as typical of Johnny trying to add some lightness into a sad message, and he deleted it when he saw it didn't work.

As I said, I have no idea of what really went down, but I really don't think Johnny is seeking attention. Yes, he probably rushed into this marriage too fast and without knowing Victor well enough--but he wouldn't be the first smart, successful person who fell head over heels in love with the wrong person. By now their marriage sounds dysfunctional, and in that case it really is better to call it quits.

BlackPack

Medalist
I've never understood the fascination with Johhny Weir. Yes, he is campy and flamboyant. He's not particularly attractive or interesting...just campy and flamboyant. I found his "commentary" with Tara Lipinski to be banal and not informative whatsoever in Sochi. They clearly had favorites and were not impartial whatsoever. Regarding his personal life, it's not unexpected that he lives like a clown considering he actively tries to look like one. Anyway, he was a mediocre skater when he skated competitively and has been a forgettable D-list celebrity since.

In the mid-2000s, he seemed to have the potential of Jason Brown. His Doctor Zhivago and Otonal when skated well were quite amazing. He stopped developing there. In fact, he regressed. His older programs were more complex and interesting. Instead, he chose to develop, as you said, the celebrity of flamboyance and camp. Not something I respect or aspire to but to each his own.

And yes, his commentary with Tara in Sochi was awful. I thought we were almost done with Sandy and Scottie's curmudgeon ways, but here we go again with Johnny and Tara. Yes, absolutely banal commentary. At least Sandy and Scottie aren't that silly. They had no idea on how to assess ice dancing. NBC could have easily asked Tanith to do ice dancing but chose to use her as an interviewer instead. Not really good delegation. If we don't appreciate his neon suits and costume jewelry, maybe we just have bad taste ;)

Regarding marriage, some people are just not meant to be married! Some people don't want to be tied down or work through issues with a partner. Some people get bored and seek variety. Anyway, sometimes people need to be married to find that out I suppose.

Bonnie F

On the Ice
I think the reason Tanith wasn't used for ice dancing commentary was because her relationship with Charlie White would have been an obvious bias. I think in the future we may see her alone with Johnny calling the dance events and just see Tara used for the other disciplines. I really enjoyed Johnny's commentary even though I was never a fan of his skating. I thought he was interesting and informative and had a really good cadence with voice. I also do not agree with his lifestyle choices but I do feel sorry for him and anyone going through a relationship breakup, especially when the relationship appears to have been violent in nature.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I'm very suspicious about the whole court case. First of all, Victor tweeted an image of the court filing while Johnny was in Sochi, asking twitter followers for "advice" in the matter. ***?!? That is strange behavior. He deleted it later.

Secondly, biting is not usually a means of attack, but defense--as in being held tight so biting is your only option to get freed. Not saying this is what happened, but while Johnny is an athlete and a strong man, Victor is seriously buffed himself. Also Victor is the one who is on record for battery (I did some googling when someone referred to this on FSU and found this: http://www.gwinnettcourts.com/home....nov/pnamefirst:victor/qfields:8199/pcsform:1/ )

Finally, Johnny has not talked about the issue at all--this is clearly not the kind of publicity he wanted after a lot of positive attention and signing up with a huge agency etc. A few days ago he quietly changed his twitter and IG profile back to Johnny Weir and deleted the marriage information. He is probably making an official announcement today, but he has likely already made arrangements for that. The Ellen and Oprah bit sounds to me as typical of Johnny trying to add some lightness into a sad message, and he deleted it when he saw it didn't work.

As I said, I have no idea of what really went down, but I really don't think Johnny is seeking attention. Yes, he probably rushed into this marriage too fast and without knowing Victor well enough--but he wouldn't be the first smart, successful person who fell head over heels in love with the wrong person. By now their marriage sounds dysfunctional, and in that case it really is better to call it quits.

Nice post. Thank you for the information and the balanced viewpoint.

BlackPack

Medalist
Obviously, we wouldn't know who is at fault. A poster above said that Voronov had a history of domestic disputes, so that's interesting.

Tanith did commentate when Marlie won Worlds one year. So if it's ok there, why not in Sochi? I suppose Tara is a bigger name.

I did watch Johnny's reality show a few years ago. He did seem like a likeable young man and is a lot of fun. He did "play-fights" with his aunt and PR manager. I can imagine him doing the same with his husband, and it got blown out of proportion due to some arguments.

wingsofliberty

Spectator
In the mid-2000s, he seemed to have the potential of Jason Brown. His Doctor Zhivago and Otonal when skated well were quite amazing. He stopped developing there. In fact, he regressed. His older programs were more complex and interesting. Instead, he chose to develop, as you said, the celebrity of flamboyance and camp. Not something I respect or aspire to but to each his own.

I agree that Johnny never actualized his potential, but I think it is totally unrelated to his ~celebrity~ or flamboyance. It wasn't really a cause-and-effect matter, I think. Johnny started at a huge disadvantage, starting so late, and I think Priscilla Hill never really pushed him to evolve technically. He coasted by on his artistic skills for a really long time, and people loved watching him skate because even though he was incredibly unpredictable at times, he was enthralling to watch when he was on his game. As he got older, he was less and less consistent, and he couldn't keep up with the skills of the skaters who were evolving and pushing past him. The USFS treated him terribly (culminating in that absolutely humiliating "Johnny speaks French and likes fashion" intro at the 2010 Olympics) and so he tried to be increasingly bullish in the media to combat all of that--to take ownership of his voice. He said before--the more the media called him flamboyant because he liked wearing feathery one-pieces when he skated (he liked to feel beautiful and artistic) the angrier he got, and the more "flamboyant" he wanted to appear.

So yeah. It's a shame--he was very talented, but emotionally done with ice-skating and the USFS long before he reached his peak, and so he never capitalized on the talent we all saw in him :(. The Jason Brown comparison is super apt--Jason has far and away better skating skills, is just as artistic, but Jason really seems to want this a heck of a lot more than Johnny ever did.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Let's just say that Voronov has had a documented violent history with former partners. He is a law school graduate so he knows well how to manipulate the law to his own advantage.

Johnny may be flamboyant, but he has always shown himself to be a kind and caring person. He tends to want to keep his private life private, so he wants to reveal his sad news in his own way.

IMO, Johnny was taken advantage of by a manipulative person who will probably now seek big $$ in a divorce settlement.