Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov | Page 15 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
If Johnny were really defending himself with the scratching, I don't see how that's "physical abuse." In fact, that's letting Victor off easy.

Of course, it's very much a "he said" "she said" scenario at this point. We don't know enough as outsiders to judge.

Matilda

Medalist
@Matilda
I think he'll also be at Artistry on Ice in China? Or maybe I dreamed it. [/QUOTE}

No you didn't! He will definitely be in AoI! What an amazing cast they have again. Can you go to the show? :)

The information is too scattered and ever-changing to make sense of this whole divorce scenario. I will say: I think emotional abuse is every bit as much of a problem as physical abuse. Certainly more of a problem than defending yourself. I dunno, maybe it's 'cause I grew up in a different culture, but the whole western stance of "You can say the most horrific things you want, but the moment you hit someone, the hitting becomes more serious than any words you can ever say" always seemed strange to me.

I agree that emotional abuse is horryfying. And as far as physical abuse is concerned, I have witnessed a situation where the abuser had marks while the abused had none. Physical marks such as scratches and bite marks can just as well be the result of the abused trying to defend him- or herslef. In fact, scratches can even be self-inflected...

louisa05

Final Flight
@Matilda
I think he'll also be at Artistry on Ice in China? Or maybe I dreamed it.

The information is too scattered and ever-changing to make sense of this whole divorce scenario. I will say: I think emotional abuse is every bit as much of a problem as physical abuse. Certainly more of a problem than defending yourself. I dunno, maybe it's 'cause I grew up in a different culture, but the whole western stance of "You can say the most horrific things you want, but the moment you hit someone, the hitting becomes more serious than any words you can ever say" always seemed strange to me.

Emotional abuse has long been considered acceptable in American culture. I don't know why. Many of us were taught a rhyme as children that says exactly what you say here: "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me". It has only been in recent years that things like name calling and verbal harassment have even been called bullying or addressed as such in our schools and they still are not consistently stopped. A teacher who grabs a student to keep him or her from hurting someone else can still be fired for abusing the student while I worked for a principal who routinely called students "r*t*rd" and "dumbass" in his capacity as a football coach and it was considered a "normal part of sports" and never stopped.

As for Johnny and Victor, the only fact we know for sure is that in a situation like this, everyone is going to give the public the information that makes them look good so it is naive to trust the word of either of them. Whatever has happened, it does seem clear that this is a toxic relationship that they'd both do well to end now.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
@pointyourtoe
More "He said" "She said." It's impossible to make sense of the story right now. But it's quite reductionist to say "A scratched B. Therefore A is the bad guy." Of course, we can't say for sure that, "B has a criminal history while A doesn't. Therefore B is the bad guy." But people like Matilda and Noskates do have ample reason to think Victor is bad news (though you, of course, do have reasons to think the same of Johnny).

Also, picture doesn't look as gross as I was expecting, from your description.

@Matilda
Oh, no, no such luck! Haven't been back in China for a decade, and I'll probably die from the air pollution there the moment I get off the airplane, if I tried to go. Plus, I'm dead broke right now and can't even afford to see Tessa and Scott here in Canada, let alone off in China. But I think the Chinese fans will be in for a real treat, between Plushy, V/T, Tessa and Scott, and Johnny's new Bollywood program which looks pretty promising.

noskates

Record Breaker
How do we know - Skaterboy - that Johnny isn't making big bucks with the commentating? Where did that come from?

And quite honestly, I think it's sad that we're all still talking about this.

Oh, and being admitted to a bar in any state doesn't necessarily make you an outstanding citizen. Seriously folks - do y'all think every lawyer is a saint?

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
How do we know - Skaterboy - that Johnny isn't making big bucks with the commentating? Where did that come from?

Many of the details of Johnny's earnings were revealed after the divorce was first publicized and his NBC pay was actually quite small, despite some of his fans assuming that he was making buckets of money. Typical case of fan inflation. Victor probably assumed (likely from unreliable fluff celebrity sites that have since changed their info on Johnny) that he was worth 10 million or something so tried to mooch as much as he could

Oh, and being admitted to a bar in any state doesn't necessarily make you an outstanding citizen. Seriously folks - do y'all think every lawyer is a saint?

Did you actually read the comment because that's not what was said. The bar admittance comment was in direct response to the same lengthy list of fraud accusations against Victor. They couldn't possibly all be true because he would never be admitted. No one said he was a saint. The bar is notorious for being able to dig up every tiny offense, including traffic tickets. Actually, law students are often told to list all charges, not just convictions. They will forgive some mistakes depending on the circumstances, but not multiple serious crimes related to fraud. Johnny has said that Victor did have issues with character and fitness boards for awhile, but ultimately as we know he was admitted to the NY bar. That makes sense because we know he was guilty of certain things for sure (like the DUI's, assault charge), but many of the others were just allegations, not convictions. Just like his allegations that Johnny abused him.

momjudi

On the Ice
In what state has Victor been admitted to the bar?

He was admitted to the New York State bar last winter, maybe four years after passing the exam. He passed the New Jersey bar exam in July 2013 but has not yet been admitted to the New Jersey Bar. According to court records posted online, Victor was ordered to attend a 12 step program administered by the New York State Bar due to his numerous DUI's. Perhaps he was admitted to the New York bar once he completed the 12 step program as his admittance to the bar was very close to that time period.

Icey

Record Breaker
He was admitted to the New York State bar last winter, maybe four years after passing the exam. He passed the New Jersey bar exam in July 2013 but has not yet been admitted to the New Jersey Bar. According to court records posted online, Victor was ordered to attend a 12 step program administered by the New York State Bar due to his numerous DUI's. Perhaps he was admitted to the New York bar once he completed the 12 step program as his admittance to the bar was very close to that time period.

I searched New York State Bar records and he was not listed as having been admitted to the bar there.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Many of the details of Johnny's earnings were revealed after the divorce was first publicized and his NBC pay was actually quite small, despite some of his fans assuming that he was making buckets of money. Typical case of fan inflation. Victor probably assumed (likely from unreliable fluff celebrity sites that have since changed their info on Johnny) that he was worth 10 million or something so tried to mooch as much as he could

Did you actually read the comment because that's not what was said. The bar admittance comment was in direct response to the same lengthy list of fraud accusations against Victor. They couldn't possibly all be true because he would never be admitted. No one said he was a saint. The bar is notorious for being able to dig up every tiny offense, including traffic tickets. Actually, law students are often told to list all charges, not just convictions. They will forgive some mistakes depending on the circumstances, but not multiple serious crimes related to fraud. Johnny has said that Victor did have issues with character and fitness boards for awhile, but ultimately as we know he was admitted to the NY bar. That makes sense because we know he was guilty of certain things for sure (like the DUI's, assault charge), but many of the others were just allegations, not convictions. Just like his allegations that Johnny abused him.

Hi - I don't know about bar admissions in NY, but where I am, I believe that you have the hardest time passing Character & Fitness if you are found to have committed fraud, especially financial fraud, or if you are found to have been dishonest, failed to disclose something, were guilty of misrepresenting something, etc. Being found guilty of assault would not necessarily prevent bar admission. I have no idea who is right or wrong here, but just wanted to point out that passing C&F does not necessarily mean he did not commit those acts or even that they were minor.

ETA Sorry I was actually replying to earlier post & didn't read this one thoroughly. It looks like I'm not saying anything new but was focussing on his reported past assaults - was not aware of fraud charges against him.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Chillax no skates you will have a heart attack lol. In one o f the earlier posts it talks about what Johnny got paid for the olympics and it wasn't all that much. And I am not suggesting beign admitted to a bar makes you an outstanding citizen but like an professional - pastor, engineer, doctor, dentist teaher there is a certain credence or level of respect you usually have earned - or get with the title - they don't call you to the Bar if you are a major defrauder and mass murderer.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

Thanks for clarifying :)