Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Johnny Weir's court day for biting his husband Voronov

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Mrs P, I feel kind of bad for Joshua. He was the one who pushed Jason to improve the most and they're also good friends. Joshua didn't do so well at Nationals and has fallen off the radar with the exception of some hardcore fans who follow the junior circuit. Joshua is a very refined, artistic skater.

Don't worry, Joshua's not done forever. He just had a rough transition to Seniors. Schindler's List was an absolute masterpiece and I really liked his Libertango as well. His fifth at Skate Canada was pretty good (please note: he beat Jeremy Abbott there), the sprained ankle just came at all the wrong time and probably really affected his Nationals build-up (I think he was only back on the ice mid-December).

Joshua and Jason have now shared the podium at every level of Nationals except Juvenile, which is a pretty amazing record, and they've also shared the podium at the Junior Grand Prix Final and twice at Junior Worlds. I can't wait til they share a podium at the GPF, 4CCs, even Worlds. :biggrin:

BlackPack

Medalist
The best technique on the 3axel is Ilia Kulik's vertical, tight, fast revolutions, effortless landings, Uncle Dick said so;)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
oh, c'mon. Johnny has always had a gorgeous 3A, and remember Uncle Dick saying he skated like liquid gold. OK, the guy doesn't like transitions too much. OK, so maybe he hasn't worked to his full potential, but haters, have you??????

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France

BlackPack

Medalist
I love my potential. I kiss it, caress it, polish it. I stare at the abyss of my potential and I see the vortex of eternity and heaven...:love:

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Modern day best triple Axels, by continent:

America: Joshua Farris

Europe: Artur Gachinski

Asia: Han Yan

FlattFan

Match Penalty
What is Victor going to take from johnny? His birkin bag?
This is so silly. What a sad case of narcissism.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Just read an article that says they don't have a prenup!!! Guess they really did rush into it.

Well, they wouldn't be the first couple to do that. Did they get married in New York? I remember Johnny was on The Joan Rivers Show a couple of years ago and discussed it. He said they got married at City Hall and that it was very informal and that he only wore jeans (which is a bit TOO casual, IMO).

It sounded like they had even had some discussions about religion since Victor is Jewish and Johnny said he might even convert to Judaism, particularly if they adopted kids and wanted to raise them one way. Since Joan is a Jewish girl, she was quite interested in the whole subject and asked Johnny one or two other personal questions, as well...

noskates

Record Breaker
Wow - watching Atonal at the 2005 Nats just proves my point about Johnny's triple axel AND skating with Priscilla Hill. I loved Dick Button's comment about his artistic athleticism. Well put!
The performance was 9 years ago!!! I'd say there are some modern day skaters that could take some guidance for how to deliver a performance!!!

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
This is the same person who went on shopping sprees while begging his fans for "training money". You bet he will milk this for all that he can get.

Yeah, I cringed at that whole episode.

I have mixed feelings about Johnny, too. On the one hand, he has some talented aspects to his skating and has gone through some challenging ups and downs in his career, and it also took some courage to come out and talk about being gay.

On the other hand, there are times when he has acted in a shallow manner (eg. the shopping sprees referenced above) which in some ways reinforced the negative stereotypes that figure skaters, especially those that are gay, are shallow and obsessed with clothes. That was not helpful. When you are supposed to be training as a serious competitive athlete, it's not good to tell people you want to buy 30 pairs of shoes and 40 fancy hats!

Matilda

Medalist
Wow - watching Atonal at the 2005 Nats just proves my point about Johnny's triple axel AND skating with Priscilla Hill. I loved Dick Button's comment about his artistic athleticism. Well put!
The performance was 9 years ago!!! I'd say there are some modern day skaters that could take some guidance for how to deliver a performance!!!

My coach just lamented the other day how the current programs are so focused on transitions etc. that we rarely see skaters really holding a landing edge, as they move directly form the landing to footwork. She referred specifically to Johnny's beautiful landing positions and how he showed his control of the edge upon landing. She feels that that is a category of difficulty that is not rewarded these days. When you look at Johnny's landings in that 2005 Nationals performance, you can see exactly what she meant. Sigh.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
When you are supposed to be training as a serious competitive athlete, it's not good to tell people you want to buy 30 pairs of shoes and 40 fancy hats!

Especially when in the next breath you are begging them for money...for a comeback you don't even plan on carrying out.

Ryan O

Final Flight
Country
Canada
Johnny's latest Facebook post:

I'm so sorry for what I've done.

https://www.facebook.com/JohnnyGWeir?fref=ts

Not sure what he means by that. Perhaps he will say more, or perhaps he wants to tease the public by hinting at more to come.

----------

As mentioned earlier in this thread, it has emerged that Johnny's Facebook was hacked and he says he didn't post the above message on FB.

Last edited: